Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I seriously can't think of a single reason a young person with no ties to the area would consider Bloomington or Dubuque or other places like it. Can't think of a better way to ensure OP leaves the Midwest disliking it.
Agreed. I mean, if they want a suburban/boring life in a small landlocked city then I guess it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 PM

241 posts, read 465,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Agreed. I mean, if they want a suburban/boring life in a small landlocked city then I guess it makes sense.
Yeah, I'm fairly certain I wouldnt be aiming for any suburbs

Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr82692 View Post
Hey all,

Im really looking to get out of Florida after I graduate. Just looking for a change of pace, where I'll be around a ton of young working singles like myself. I've heard only fantastic things about Chicago... except the weather. Just how bad is it in the winter? Is it really significantly more brutal than Northeast winters?

The other cities that I'm considering are Denver, Boston, Austin, Houston, and San Diego. Chicago would be the clear front runner, but I'm a little nervous about the weather. I'm getting sick of the perpetual Florida heat and humidity, but I dont know if I could handle perpetual winter either.

Any tips?

Thanks
I'm not in Chicagoland anymore. However, I swear by Carhartt. NOTHING stands up to the cold like Carhartt overalls! In fact, you can save a few bucks and purchase overalls made by Walls. Men who work outdoors wear them. A nice pair a Hi Tec boots and you are set! Winters are not perpetual by any stretch. Bonus: the winters make the spring and summer all the more precious!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 AM

241 posts, read 465,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I'm not in Chicagoland anymore. However, I swear by Carhartt. NOTHING stands up to the cold like Carhartt overalls! In fact, you can save a few bucks and purchase overalls made by Walls. Men who work outdoors wear them. A nice pair a Hi Tec boots and you are set! Winters are not perpetual by any stretch. Bonus: the winters make the spring and summer all the more precious!

I'll be sure to come back here and ask for weather tips when it gets closer to the move. And yeah, that must be sort of like how the "winter" is here. When we get a cold front, everyone wants to be outside the entire day to soak it in.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I'll be sure to come back here and ask for weather tips when it gets closer to the move. And yeah, that must be sort of like how the "winter" is here. When we get a cold front, everyone wants to be outside the entire day to soak it in.
Carhartt is good, but it's not even close to the only option. Get a good pashmina and you'll be surprised how warm it will keep you. Otherwise there's stuff like Marmot, North Face, and just other things in general - other types of wool coats and what not.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Im really looking to get out of Florida after I graduate. Just looking for a change of pace, where I'll be around a ton of young working singles like myself. I've heard only fantastic things about Chicago... except the weather. Just how bad is it in the winter? Is it really significantly more brutal than Northeast winters?

The other cities that I'm considering are Denver, Boston, Austin, Houston, and San Diego. Chicago would be the clear front runner, but I'm a little nervous about the weather. I'm getting sick of the perpetual Florida heat and humidity, but I dont know if I could handle perpetual winter either.

Any tips?

Thanks
The winters here suck. That is the best thing I can say. It does not snow much because we are on the wrong side of the lake for that but it is very very cold and actual temperatures and wind chills can dip well below zero and stay below freezing for weeks at a time. Also, because we are right on the time zone border, it gets dark very early in the winter. Around 4PM in December. I am surprised you would move here from Florida. Most of us are waiting for the golden watch to get the hell out of here and go to Florida or Arizona.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I am surprised you would move here from Florida. Most of us are waiting for the golden watch to get the hell out of here and go to Florida or Arizona.
There's people living here from all over the world, and places with worse weather than Florida. There's a lot of people who want what they can't have. People with straight hair want curly hair. People with curly hair want straight hair. People in always hot climates sometimes want to move to cold/colder weather and people in climates where it gets cold sometimes want to move to warmer/warm weather. It's common human nature.

It's all a personal thing. Some people might be fine with it and some people might not be fine with it (the winters). The winters here aren't even that bad. Compared to Florida though, yes they are bad.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's people living here from all over the world, and places with worse weather than Florida. There's a lot of people who want what they can't have. People with straight hair want curly hair. People with curly hair want straight hair. People in always hot climates sometimes want to move to cold/colder weather and people in climates where it gets cold sometimes want to move to warmer/warm weather. It's common human nature.

It's all a personal thing. Some people might be fine with it and some people might not be fine with it (the winters). The winters here aren't even that bad. Compared to Florida though, yes they are bad.
Well I want warm Decembers. Not going to happen here though.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Well I want warm Decembers. Not going to happen here though.
No, not warm Decembers, but they aren't quite as bad as they could be.

Just for fun, here's some data on chicago temperatures and weather
Chicagos Temperature Records

And here are the 30 year average temps for each month from 1971 to 2000
Chicago Weather - Average Monthly Temperatures in Chicago

Old 09-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, not warm Decembers, but they aren't quite as bad as they could be.

Just for fun, here's some data on chicago temperatures and weather
Chicagos Temperature Records

And here are the 30 year average temps for each month from 1971 to 2000
Chicago Weather - Average Monthly Temperatures in Chicago
I will never forget the Christmas Eve of 1983 when the wind chill was like -100 and we had a house full of holiday guest and could not keep the house warm enough not to see our breath!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago