Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM

14 posts, read 21,577 times

Advertisements

I work as an electrical engineering consultant and I've lived in Naperville the past 9 months - it's been absolute torture. I've gone shopping a lot, grocery shopping every weekend, been out a few times, but 99% of my time was spent alone since Naperville is pretty much only young families, college students, or highschool and younger kids. I never see attractive single women around, and have only seen one or two indian women.

I want to meet lots of young people and establish a strong social circle because I envision I will be in this job for quite a while, and I really want to experience Chicago nightlife.

My job is in Lisle and is currently a 15 minute commute - I even get to come back for lunch. However, it's not worth the lack of social life and lack of dating options.

I'm thinking to move downtown somewhere but I want to move somewhere where there's a lot of young college grads working, and a place that's not crime ridden. I'm looking to stay under $850 for rent and parking and am trying to find a roommate. Nightlife is a big deal for me because I want to go out as much as possible the next couple of years before settling down.

Can you guys give any advice on where to live? I will be driving to work and back every day, already have a car. I plan on leaving at 6:00AM and continuing to hit the gym in Naperville after work which means I'll be coming back around 8 or 9PM every day from work. Fridays I'll be home earlier.

I'm thinking either Lincoln Park or Lakeview, and I'm well prepared for the hourly commute. Love driving with some EDM or trance music and I think since I wake up early and work late I won't have too much trouble with rush hour traffic.

Thanks

Last edited by boiler164; 12-01-2012 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Do it, suburbs are ****. No matter where you are.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Honestly for recent college grads the number of singles is hard to argue with in Chicago. I don't doubt that if you are looking for folks from a specific ethnic minority that are in relationships / have families it is very different in the suburbs than the city -- there is a certain kind of person that is going to done drawn to urban areas.

I would vehement disagree with any generalizations that dismiss an entire region , it would be as stupid as saying all boosters of urban areas are of a similar mind.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 PM

203 posts, read 386,044 times
Could you continue to live in Naperville and commute into the city for socializing? During rush hour, a city-to-far-suburb commute is difficult due to traffic conditions. Outside of rush hour, it's usually not that bad. Obviously, you have to be sober enough to drive home if you go out drinking.

The commute into the city could be sped up by strategically living near an I-88 exit.

Naperville itself actually has several nightlife establishments in its downtown.

I'm surprised you see so few Indians in Naperville. There are quite a few of them in the area.

$850 for your own apartment and parking space in Lincoln Park or Lakeview will be a stretch. It might be possible if you get a studio or live with roommates.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Small note: Lincoln Park and Lakeview aren't downtown. Until I read that, I was going to tell you to look outside of downtown. You might not be able to do it in Lincoln Park, but Lakeview you could probably do it. My gf's place in Lakeview is $750/month (2 bedroom with a roommate). I have other friends who have 4 bedrooms in Lakeview in certain areas paying $600-$750/month. With a roommate or two, it's easy in Lakeview to find what you want. I toured a lot of places with my gf this summer well within your budget in those areas.

Private parking will cost you at least $100/month extra if not $200. The parking there is street parking, which I would recommend if you want to stay within your budget.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
Lisles has an apt complex call four lakes that is supposed to be great for young professionals. Its like a minature city with its own ski slope, bar, all kinds of stuff. I almost lived there. You should look into it. Otherwise, a lot of people make the commute from the city and I encourage you to make the move. I think Lincoln Park would fit you well.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I belive the OP is specifically looking for some one of his ethnic background. It is my experience that while married folks from India are distributed fairly uniformly around the region there is a far greater tendency for single women of this ethnic background to be found inside Chicago -- I suspect a fair number of folks that are a little more adventurous / have gone to top tier schools maintain contact with their classmates and that is a big part of the clustering...

Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,630 times
I did the Lincoln Park to Oakbrook commute for a year, it's pretty rough sometimes, but overall I would do it again. If you can avoid rush hour it's actually very manageable.

Parking in the area costs $150-$250 depending on the type of spot. Which in turns leaves you $600-$700 a person for rent. Doable for a 2 bedroom but it won't be anything nice. You might be able to swing a studio for $700 a month and find a nearby spot for $150 a month, but it's cutting it close.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM

138 posts, read 246,663 times
I lived city, worked in Naperville (before I left Chicago area, I'm 26-yo single male). Really glad that I did it. Much happier on nights, and especially on weekends.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping322 View Post
I lived city, worked in Naperville (before I left Chicago area, I'm 26-yo single male). Really glad that I did it. Much happier on nights, and especially on weekends.
I have a single female friend in her early 30's who makes that commute daily and says the same thing. Actually I think she may even work a little further west than N'ville, but she lives in the West Loop, which is a little better than the North Side for that commute. She curses it on the drive home, but is much happier with her life overall than she could imagine being living in the 'burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago