Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 5,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
OP, you wonder why I thought you don't like it here? Read your own initial post.

"Unfortunately, neither of us really care for Chicago. It's depressing living here. It's so dirty, there are so many sketchy people, and it's obviously really expensive. Ideally, I'd move away from Chicago."
I guess I should have said, if it weren't for my job I'd move away from Chicago, ideally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I still think you are better off leaving.
Maybe so, but I'd rather give Chicago a second chance. I know there are better areas of Chicago, and I also know that I could've gotten a better apartment for the money. At the time I moved here, neither of us had credit or a job, so it was difficult finding an apartment that we'd get approved for. It was also made worse by the fact that we were rushing to find a place before school started for my girlfriend (she was going to Columbia, but her dad backed out of paying for her after she moved here). It was also difficult to go apartment hunting not living in Chicago and not knowing the neighborhoods. We kind of just settled on the apartment we are currently living in.

So it sounds like the burbs will be the best option? What about Evanston? Easy access to my office with the purple line.

Any thoughts on West Ridge? What about so called "hipster" neighborhoods such as Wicker Park or Bucktown? I'd assume those areas are pretty safe/clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM

40 posts, read 128,657 times
I moved from a small town in SW Michigan to Chicago 7 years ago. At first Chicago is a shock. The parking, the rent, the crime, the commuting. It takes time. It will take you guys 2+ years before you can really call Chicago home.

This really is the best city in America.

First off you picked a bad neighborhood to live in as a new transplant. That is on you, not your income.
When your lease expires you can move into a different studio in Lincoln Park, or Lakeview. I see studios for 750-900 all the time. This should spare you some of the undesrieables as well it may seem a little cleaner with all of the parks around.

Second, do not get a car. The gas is expensive. Parking is going to overwhelm you. City Stickers are $200 a year. Insurance is higher. You would be a fool to not take advantage of the CTA.

Third, you are not safe anywhere. Chicago is a major city and in any major city there are people who prey on the weak. Your GF is 10x more vulnerable especially walking from a train stop at night. Like said previously, you need to walk her home if you love her.

Making friends will help you get in on the best of everything local. In Chicago, people help their freinds and if you aren't one of the group than you are an outsider. Thats the way it is. Get to know as many people as you can. You will be surprised at the doors that open just becuase you know someone who "has a guy"...

Lastly - you have only lived here since August/September. This means you have not experience a spring or summer in the city. This is the best time of year.

You and your GF can live in Chicago with your combined income. A modest living but you are starting out so that is ok. You just need to keep expenses at a minimum (No CAR). Give it 2 years and if it doesn't work than it is time to leave.

Good Luck

Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Has the OP ventured to Andersonville from Bryn Mawr? Is that too dirty and sketchy?

I think Wicker Park may be too dirty as well.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM

I have not been to Andersonville, even though it's extremely close to me. I've been around the Berywn and Broadway area, but not west of there. It looks nice from what I can see on Google Maps (haha).

Will have to check it out, thanks.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Summer in the city is awesome and I don't think Edgewater is terrible (that's me though). Andersonville is a great area. Go to Lincoln Square too which isn't too far from there or Ravenswood (you can find cheap studios there btw).

Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Yeeks. Can you raise your rental budget at all? I know you and your gf aren't making all that much but it looks like you guys are paying about $400 a person per month in rent (assuming you split evenly??). If you upped that to $425 to $450 each I think you may find some nicer, larger places in safer neighborhoods closer to your work.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 PM

410 posts, read 634,133 times
I second Lincoln Square, my cousin lives by the Rockwell Brown Line, which is located in a residential area (unlike Bryn Mawr) which makes it significantly quieter and peaceful. I'm not quite sure what her rent is, but if you looked around a bit, there should be a few 1 bedrooms for around $600 - $800 a month right around the Rockwell and Francisco stops.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I second Lincoln Square, my cousin lives by the Rockwell Brown Line, which is located in a residential area (unlike Bryn Mawr) which makes it significantly quieter and peaceful.
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

I could definitely increase my rent budget if it means I can find an apartment I'm happy with in an area I feel safe in. Like I said, we are living pretty comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Summer in the city is awesome and I don't think Edgewater is terrible (that's me though).
I thought Edgewater was a very nice area at first (right next to the beach, Bryn Mawr seemed nice). But after a while, you realize that the homeless/mentally ill population is very high in this area and it is dirtier compared to other parts of the city. I have been to been to dirtier/sketchier areas for sure. It's just that walking down our street at night (Kenmore), I do not feel safe and I worry about my girlfriend. I don't want to have to worry about that to the extent that I do.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech81 View Post
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

I could definitely increase my rent budget if it means I can find an apartment I'm happy with in an area I feel safe in. Like I said, we are living pretty comfortably.

I thought Edgewater was a very nice area at first (right next to the beach, Bryn Mawr seemed nice). But after a while, you realize that the homeless/mentally ill population is very high in this area and it is dirtier compared to other parts of the city. I have been to been to dirtier/sketchier areas for sure. It's just that walking down our street at night (Kenmore), I do not feel safe and I worry about my girlfriend. I don't want to have to worry about that to the extent that I do.
The rockwell area is very nice as others have said. But you really need to walk over to the Clark and Foster area to see Andersonville.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech81 View Post

I understand....do the homeless do anything to you? I mean honestly, even at my place in the Gold Coast, my stop has a bunch of basically homeless people hanging around it everyday. They don't do anything to me, so I don't even care. If it's public land,they have every right to be hanging out there....infront of private property is another story. But I don't let it bother me because they aren't bothering anyone.

Anyway, you should honestly go to the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area. It is quiet, pretty clean, and there's not really a homeless problem in most areas. My gf used to live on the border of Ravenswood near the Damen Brown Line stop. It was a nice area especially in the summer, and quiet and I don't remember seeing anybody seedy/shady in the area ever (minus the drunk guy who stopped me once at the convenience store and said "Don't walk in dark alleys bro" because apparently I looked like his son who was shot dead years earlier and it gave him flashbacks). In any case, there's good cheap food around the areas and it's pretty family oriented, but also with people in their 20s in the area. I'm pretty sure in Ravenswood you can find some cheap studios for even less than what you're paying now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago