Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM

144 posts, read 146,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Yet somehow the Art Institute, Chicago Symphony, Lyric Opera, Field Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art, etc. etc. manage to survive and even thrive in this "sports town." Must be the out-of-town tourists.
I hope you would not be that naive to compare Chicago's museums to New York's. I hope you would not compare Chicago's art scene to Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM

337 posts, read 930,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
I hope you would not be that naive to compare Chicago's museums to New York's. I hope you would not compare Chicago's art scene to Broadway.
Sometimes foreigners appreciate these things better than natives:

America's liveliest theatre is in Chicago | Stage | The Guardian

Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Some people just do not get it. What is being said is "according to New York's standards" Chicago is dead.
Did you actually read the quote posted? It said nothing of the sort. It said "I couldn't find a good job or girlfriend in Chicago but I did in NYC". It is a personal whinefest, not a real criticism of Chicago in any way, shape, or form.

Quote:
New York, Miami, Vegas, L.A., Philly, New Orleans (once upon a time) are places that are very rich in history, and are more lively (especially at night or during certain holidays).
Ummm...you're saying that Miami and Vegas are "rich in history" compared to Chicago? You really need to read up on American history.

If all you have to contribute is a bunch of 30 year old cliches about Chicago, just go away. NYC is obviously a great city (as is Chicago). Hell, NYC was basically the capital of the world for the last half of the 20th century. But if you want to talk about "international", London makes NYC look provincial. If you want to talk about energy and a staggering built environment Tokyo and Hong Kong make NYC look like a run down mill town. Cities all have their own strengths, and if you choose to ignore that, it's your loss.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Sometimes foreigners appreciate these things better than natives:

America's liveliest theatre is in Chicago | Stage | The Guardian
Yes, they sometimes do. I have yet to see anything that has originated in Chicago that can compare to Dance Theater Harlem.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Did you actually read the quote posted? It said nothing of the sort. It said "I couldn't find a good job or girlfriend in Chicago but I did in NYC". It is a personal whinefest, not a real criticism of Chicago in any way, shape, or form.

Ummm...you're saying that Miami and Vegas are "rich in history" compared to Chicago? You really need to read up on American history.

If all you have to contribute is a bunch of 30 year old cliches about Chicago, just go away. NYC is obviously a great city (as is Chicago). Hell, NYC was basically the capital of the world for the last half of the 20th century. But if you want to talk about "international", London makes NYC look provincial. If you want to talk about energy and a staggering built environment Tokyo and Hong Kong make NYC look like a run down mill town. Cities all have their own strengths, and if you choose to ignore that, it's your loss.
I am comparing Chicago to other US cities that I think are better on many levels. I am not comparing other international cities with New York. I think it is 'you' that needs to get with the program.

Did I acutually read the quote? I was speaking in general, not just about one little quote on City data. Often times Chicagoans get things twisted when people give their opinions on Chicago.

For example: One poster started boasting about how the Chicago theaters are thriving, in response to me comparing them to New York. Well, even if they are thriving they do not hold a candle to an international city's theater scene.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times
Default Chicago doesn't Read the New York Rags

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
“Poor Chicago,” a friend of mine recently said. Given the number of urban apocalypses here, I couldn’t tell which problem she was referring to. Was it the Cubs never winning? The abominable weather? Meter parking costing more than anywhere else in America — up to $6.50 an hour — with the money flowing to a private company, thanks to the ex-mayor Richard M. Daley’s shortsighted 2008 deal? Or was it the fact that in 2012, of the largest American cities, Chicago had the second-highest murder rate and the *second-highest combined sales tax, as well as the ninth-highest metro foreclosure rate in the country? That it’s the third-most racially segregated city and is located in the state with the most underfunded public-employee pension debt? Was my friend talking about how a real estate investor bought The Chicago Tribune and drove it into bankruptcy? Or how 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton, who performed at Barack Obama’s inauguration, was shot dead near the president’s Kenwood home?

Actually, “poor” seems kind.

Not quite Detroit
In fact it is not how we find books to read or what to think.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Quote:
Some people just do not get it. What is being said is "according to New York's standards" Chicago is dead.
New York, Miami, Vegas, L.A., Philly, New Orleans (once upon a time) are places that are very rich in history, and are more lively (especially at night or during certain holidays).

Other than those things the people of those cities I mentioned have personalities that are much more lively. They are not as grumpy as Chicagoans, and they're much more likely to strike up a conversation with someone that is not of the same race or ethnicity than they are. Even New Yorkers have more of a sense of humor than many Chicagoans.

Chicago is a sports town. That is not to say these other cities do not appreciate sports, but there is much more to these cities than just a sport's team. They appreciate art and music more than Chicagoans. Chicago is large geographically, but some of the natives think like small town people. To some people Chicago is booming and has a lot going on, and that's fine. You should just accept the fact that some of us prefer "international" cities to live in or visit more often. No one is trying to offend you.
I'm not a Chicagoan, and as an outsider who lives in this city, this is completely off. New York's "standards" aren't the general standard, so if Chicago is dead by their standard, then so be it. But that doesn't mean it holds any relevancy nor does it mean that Chicago is actually dead. Furthermore, you calling Chicago a "sports town" while in the real world, Chicago is actually known for a lot of things is pretty dense of you. You don't speak for what people generally think of Chicago at all because as an outsider I've never seen that to be true. The weird thing is whenever people like to put down Chicago, it's usually someone from New York and not anywhere else in the country.

Quote:
I am comparing Chicago to other US cities that I think are better on many levels. I am not comparing other international cities with New York. I think it is 'you' that needs to get with the program.

Did I acutually read the quote? I was speaking in general, not just about one little quote on City data. Often times Chicagoans get things twisted when people give their opinions on Chicago.

For example: One poster started boasting about how the Chicago theaters are thriving, in response to me comparing them to New York. Well, even if they are thriving they do not hold a candle to an international city's theater scene.
It's pretty clear what your agenda here is.

This forum sees so many trolls every month with brand new names that it's not exactly a secret anymore.

Last edited by Lucky Clover; 05-21-2013 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 PM

at this point why should I bother...I'm done

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM

606 posts, read 354,851 times
Quote:

Not trying to attack you, but trying to make you understand how people may take offense to your argument.

You claimed that Chicago is just a sports town. Sports are definitely popular with Chicagoans, no doubt about it. But it's not really fair on your part to claim the city is devoid of culture.

There was a poster that disagreed with you and mentioned some of Chicago's strengths in its cultural offerings. No one ever said we have superior artistic institutions compared to New York. But we certainly are allowed to bring up what we do offer when someone claims that Chicagoans don't appreciate the arts.

And it's especially unfair since you mentioned many other cities including Vegas and Philly, which are not really known for the arts in general. So why do you jump to the conclusion that we are comparing ourselves to New York when you are the one that mentioned all these other cities in your response? With all due respect, I think any reasonable person can understand why someone may argue that Chicago is ahead of a number of these cities when it comes to museums and cultural offerings
(again, not talking about New York).

Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Quote:
tawfiqmp, If this is how you feel, why respond to my post? You may want to read the title of the thread. I am on topic, so why are you saying my post holds no relevancy? I am sure you are proud of your new city and I am happy for you. I don't know if you came from Nebraska or Iowa, but I'm sure Chicago is exciting to you. I just don't think so.
Why respond to your post? Because it's quite clear that you're a troll.

I'm not "proud" of my new place of residence because it's not my place to be proud. I'm not a native of this city, this isn't my home. I'm a transplant. Do I like it here? Yeah. But that could be said about a handful other cities also. And no, I didn't come from Nebraska or Iowa, I moved from Texas. Not sure why that would matter anyway. That's fine if you don't think so, it's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. My post was mainly regarding your inaccuracies of thinking that what YOU think is what people in the rest of the country think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago