Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Drinking the Kool aid=haha wow and I thought I have seen it all.
Don't worry reality speaks a different picture and ill let Reality do the talking.
BAITED AND CAUGHT!!! good job cali!

I'm glad that Chicago is coming back. It never really went away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default The other side of "boom" ...

...is inevitably "bust". This has been seen over and over. From the over building of South Loop condo leading to a glut of units and owners forced to rent to "McMansions" built in Oswego that literally have been vacant for years the rubberband effect of developers that over estimate their ability to sell high priced real estate leads to subsequent depressed pricing, excessive units available for rent and a shift away from the desirable high income demographic.

It is far wiser to buy in an area where there is a longer history of solid demand and a base that includes amenities likely to remain desirable -- quick access to good employment, safe parks frequented by the kind of people unafraid to file police reports when they encounter criminal activity, well supported schools, shops / restuarants run by those with the skills / experience needed to run a long term business... Even if you have to buy a smaller/ not as updated / older home in such an area you are likely to do better financially than dropping a pile of dough in an area that still has problems with crime / poorly run schools / lack of employment / uncommitted businesses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
... those fancy places you speak of aren't for the average person. it's for wealthy folks. buying half a million to million dollar condos? give me a break.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
why need to compare with Indy? Indy is not even on the same level as Chicago, and I think will never be.
you're correct, but there is a youngster who continually bashes Chicago, uses immature names like "quinnyhead" for the governor and touts Chicago as the next Detroit and cheers for every single company who leaves Chicago and Illinois. He also touts that all anyone has to do is pick up and move to where the jobs are, otherwise you are a lazy "waste of human flesh".

He also wishes hundreds of thousands of people dead by hoping that LA and SF fall into the ocean during the next big earthquake. Oh, and he refers to that state as Californiastan ...

He thinks he's a smart fella, but he's a teenage boy from a small town. Apparently, his family has been tortured by the state of Illinois and now it falls upon him to right this wrong.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
This thread was unnecessary. This is one of the best boards in regards to humility and lack of boosterism. There's no reason to shove anything in anyones face. BRG is alone in what he does, and he's terrible at it too. Starting a thread like this makes you no better than him.
It wasnt just that i was also trying to make the thread a development thread for chicago.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Does anyone know why the Chicago spire was expired? It was a great building to make Chicago's skyline look even better.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Dishonesty and delusion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Does anyone know why the Chicago spire was expired? It was a great building to make Chicago's skyline look even better.

The developer was in denial about his own finances and unable to face the fact that the kind of reckless spending that crazy people throw at super-tall buildings in Malaysia or Dubai is largely only possible becuase of the very different government structure in those places.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 14,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I think you're confusing having "a different point of view" with being wrong. Some things are subjective, but some are not. "You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts," as the saying goes.
The Facts you refuse to acknowledge is the VACANCY in so many storefronts on Milwaukee Ave. btw Western and Belmont. Your opinion is wrong and it doesn't make all those vacancies disappear because you like to argue with people. You also cannot change the third world-type tenant mix that comprises the majority of open businesses in that corridor, because the tenants (cellphone shops, megamall, low-priced furniture stores, taquerias, carneiceras, botanica voodoo shops, multiple thrift stores, Aldis, car wash joints, check cashing, liquors, etc.) that exist are facts as well. Sorry.

In the past, when the area was more healthy and truly middle class, the retail along Milwaukee Ave. was better. Chicago is not "booming" and Logan Sq. is a litmus test that things are not at past-levels of success, today that corridor is worse -- as the FACTS of the retail vacancies and types of stores attest.

Go to Milwaukee Ave and Diversey on Google street view, go north along Milwaukee, and scan the streetscape. FACTS my friend.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
At least 25% of percent of ChiNaan's posts are him throwing petty insults at other posters. And 25% is a generous number. It's a shame because I actually share his point of view most of the time. But of course I better watch out those few times I have a different point of view. He ain't having THAT!

Idiot. noun. 1. Anyone who disagrees with ChiNaan about anything at all.
Yup, I gotten that flack as well. Disagreeing with him results in insults being thrown. He's not the only one, but certainly is one.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckcheese View Post
Chicago is not "booming" and Logan Sq. is a litmus test that things are not at past-levels of success, today that corridor is worse -- as the FACTS of the retail vacancies and types of stores attest.

Go to Milwaukee Ave and Diversey on Google street view, go north along Milwaukee, and scan the streetscape. FACTS my friend.
1) Wait. Wait wait. So you're using Google Street View to base your opinions on this!? Is this a joke? Google Street view is out of date. They literally have to drive a car with a camera attached to it on every single street. Do you really think they update this stuff all the time? My neighborhood hasn't even been updated on Google Streetview for over 5 years. How can i tell? Well, since I actually get outside in my neighborhood every day, I know what's been put up. In fact, there are about 5-7 buildings that were built say over 4 years ago that aren't even on Streetview in my neighborhood. There are businesses that went out of business in this time frame that...still show up when you go through Google Streetview.

In fact, if you go here, you can see just how old the images are:
Google Street View in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Introduced for Chicago: October 9, 2007

You seriously lost any shred of credibility about the area just by bringing up streetview. While a great tool, it is in no way even CLOSE to up to date. Maybe for a small town it's fine, but for a larger city, no it's not even close.

2) When people say "Logan Square," a lot of them, again, are referring to the neighborhood within the community area with the same name. Logan Square the neighborhood is no doubt booming and so is the area in some ways to the East. Also, Bucktown is in Logan Square community area. That's not been booming for awhile?

Let''s look at just food places that are not that terribly old or ones that are more foodie and have good ratings

* Redfin: Logan Square is Eighth 'Hottest' Nabe in the Nation - The Neighborhoods - Curbed Chicago - 8th hottest neighborhood in the nation

* 39-Unit Apt Block Planned For Vacant Milwaukee Ave Lot - Development Watch - Curbed Chicago - new development

* Developer Plans 15-Unit Rental Building At Western & Cortland - Development Watch - Curbed Chicago - development

Not to mention a bunch of good restaurants/lounges in the area and near the square even like Longman and Eagle (has a Michelin Star), Lula Cafe, Wasabi, Billy Sunday, Telegraph, Fat Rice, Reno, JAM, Belly Shack, The Whistler, etc and other new places set to open up soon such as:

Veteran Chef Cesar Reyes Returning to Family Roots, Opening Latino Steakhouse Next Week - Coming Attractions - Eater Chicago

Last edited by marothisu; 04-28-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckcheese View Post
Go to Milwaukee Ave and Diversey on Google street view,
I could do that and get outdated information, or I could just walk that stretch of Milwaukee with my own feet, as I did last weekend. Or I could drive it, as I do at least once a month. Or I could talk to my friend who is one of many people to open a storefront on that stretch in the past year and can't keep up with demand for her business. Hmm, which should I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago