Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Hey, Stanley Roper was perhaps the finest landlord ever to be depicted on a TV series...
In many ways, he was the typical landlord. He never did a damn thing.

This is some sort of troll or bait-and-switch thread. No need to go into any great detail in explaining..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
I suspect there are just as many folks that spilled out onto Milwaukee Ave that are intimately familiar with the gruff exterior of Stanley Roper wrapping a heart of gold as there are in Phoenix, Tampa or Nashville...

The OP clearly has no understanding of how wide the global fan base is for professional hockey. In addition to the Canadian and US players that strive to make it to the NHL there are players from nearly every European nation competing in what is the most talent filled hockey league. There are regional Euro leagues that pay stars every bit as well. There are development and semi-pro leagues in North America that are also well attended. Collegiate hockey has a long tradition in the upper Midwest and New England, as does high school hockey. The trajectory of hockey as a global Olympic support is also upward, with significantly talented teams being fielded by dozens of nations.

It is traditonally encouraged for fans of an championship team to celebrate in a peaceful and organized way. That boast to not jut that team's Bottomline but also the many businesses that profitably sell merchandise related to that championship is a nice economic plus....

Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Not meaning to be a troll, but I find the obsession by white people for Blackhawks ridiculous. How many big cities in cold climates have ice hockey teams, maybe 5? So isn't it expected the Blackhawks should win? Where is the challenge and true competition in this?? Hardly deserving of the parade these players were honored with.
Are you joking?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:30 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Are you joking?
No kidding. This is what got me. Even people who don't really understand professional sports would not have this point. Like, really? You think that because you're in a cold climate that the team has to be good and everyone on the team has to be from that location? wtf?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Get used to it, the Hawks are going to be good for years to come.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM

529 posts, read 712,572 times
I wouldn't expect countries without beaches to be any good in beach volleyball. So I would not expect cities without ICE to be good at ICE hockey! What's so hard to understand? Chicago is the biggest city with ICE that plays this sport, so should be #1.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
I wouldn't expect countries without beaches to be any good in beach volleyball. So I would not expect cities without ICE to be good at ICE hockey! What's so hard to understand? Chicago is the biggest city with ICE that plays this sport, so should be #1.
That is a terribly, terribly analogy. Its obvious you don't understand how professional sports work. You are easily confusing a professional team with a location's popular sport.

The location has NOTHING to do with it. Do you honestly believe that everyone on the Hawks comes from Chicago and the surrounding area??? Professional sports teams in the US, no matter what they are - NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc are full of people from all over the world. It has nothing to do with what geography the actual organization is. Guess what? For hockey, everyone on every team, no matter where it is - Los Angeles, Chicago, Minnesota, Florida - comes from all over the world. The point from an organization perspective of professional sports is to make money and keep fans coming to the game. It's not to mine tons of players from their own back yard. They get who will make them money, and this is such an easy thing to understand it's not even funny. Do you seriously think that everyone on Seattle Seahawks comes from Seattle or Vancouver area?

You are easily confused and obviously don't understand the point of professional sports or how they work. Now, if your point was "Well, Chicago city should PRODUCE MORE PRO PROSPECTS than Birmingham, AL" then you'd have a half valid point. But the actual organization? You have to be kidding me. Just because you are in Chicago doesn't mean you get players from Chicago.

And please, this isn't a Hockey thing. NHL is absolutely no different than the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc for this.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You apparently don't know anything about professional sports. There is this thing called the draft where teams select amateur players. In the NHL they draft players from all over the world, the Hawks just drafted a number of players from Sweden last month. There are no limitations on where you are from to where you end up going to play. The Hawks as currently constructed don't have anyone from Illinois on the team. Hell, I don't think there is anyone on the Hawks from within 300 miles of Chicago.

You also haven't looked at a list of where NHL teams are located and then looked at a map. Or maybe you don't know how to look at a map.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM

529 posts, read 712,572 times
I understand how the draft thing works. My point is cities without a "culture" of ICE are not going to afford a good team and have any kind of fan base. Like I said before, you can count on one hand the big cities that do have ICE. So it is no surprise Blackhawks should win. They are champions of a sport only a few cities play at their level.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM

No, you can't count on one hand the big cities that do have ice. Unless you have over 10 fingers on one hand.

You also need to realize LA, Anaheim, Carolina and Tampa have all won Stanley Cups in the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago