Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM

15 posts, read 18,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fulsammi View Post
This made me crack up so hard I had to respond. I havent been yet, and glad to see the different experiences to give me an idea of what to expect. I saw it on the news, and I immediately thought "another tourist trap that will go bust in 2 years.". I hate to be negative, but I think this was too much square footage for Italian fare/ingredients/Nutella, etc. I believe most Chicagoans will go to check out something new, and not go back. I will probably go to check out the cheeses and selection of olive oils, but nothing more.

Oh, forgot to say I am grateful for the tourism dollars that will keep it open for the next 2 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
^ It's not even about the local people 100%. Think about it, and read what I said about. There's a lot that's geared towards tourists still.

The nutella bar works because a tourist will see it and think "hmm looks good. I could buy a bag of pretzels for $2 and a jar of nutella for $4.50 and sit in my hotel room with both, alone, and haul nutella in my luggage after I'm done with this city, or I could go to Eataly and pay $1 for some nutella spread on some good bread around many other people and not have any luggage."

The average local person isn't going to go for it, unless they're out and about and want the social thing (I mean in the end, why go to a ****ing cafe when you could make a sandwich yourself?)

Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Didn't really hear much actual loathing on the thread, lots of skeptics, also more than few folks that really question what sorts of impacts this might have on broader range of what other food oriented business people might decide to put their money on going forward.

Over the years I have gotten to know a few people that either through direct investment or more real estate oriented means have had money tied up in nicer resturants and bars. With pretty rare exceptions these were losing propositions. If the group behind Eatly "fails" it will make it harder for folks to bankroll similar operations. Perversely, even if Eatly continues to pack in crowds I am not really sure it is a good thing for Chicago / local food business -- places like FoodLife are much nicer than a generic "Mall Food Court" but not nearly as much on the forefront as places run by families and individuals with a more authentic experience and more of a stake in delivering high quality and low cost.

Honestly I am truly amazed when I have choices for really top notch Asian, Mexican, or Indian cuisine just steps from my office in Westmont. The range of grocers and authentic ingredients is also outstanding. These businesses thrive with no budget for PR/advertising. The chefs are not on any TV networks or the covers of any glossy magazines. I get change back from a $10 bill.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm surprised at how many people on here loathe the place
That's a rather strong word to describe the reactions I'm seeing here.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:16 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ It's not even about the local people 100%. Think about it, and read what I said about. There's a lot that's geared towards tourists still.

The nutella bar works because a tourist will see it and think "hmm looks good. I could buy a bag of pretzels for $2 and a jar of nutella for $4.50 and sit in my hotel room with both, alone, and haul nutella in my luggage after I'm done with this city, or I could go to Eataly and pay $1 for some nutella spread on some good bread around many other people and not have any luggage."

The average local person isn't going to go for it, unless they're out and about and want the social thing (I mean in the end, why go to a ****ing cafe when you could make a sandwich yourself?)
I will say that the fresh squid ink pasta I bought and cooked at home was quite good. I asked L'Appetito for squid ink pasta once and they looked at me like I was a friggin' alien.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I will say that the fresh squid ink pasta I bought and cooked at home was quite good. I asked L'Appetito for squid ink pasta once and they looked at me like I was a friggin' alien.
That's pretty much the type of stuff I'd use Eataly for. Things I can't get anywhere else and want...why not? If there was some amazing type of wine I found in Italy and haven't found it anywhere in the US, I'd pay a few extra dollars for it to be able to get it down the street and I'd bet that a lot of people who know that wine, for example, would consider it too even if it was $7 more than in Italy.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Honestly I am truly amazed when I have choices for really top notch Asian, Mexican, or Indian cuisine just steps from my office in Westmont. The range of grocers and authentic ingredients is also outstanding. These businesses thrive with no budget for PR/advertising. The chefs are not on any TV networks or the covers of any glossy magazines. I get change back from a $10 bill.
cool story bro, sounds like just about every non-downtown neighborhood in Chicago

Old 12-10-2013, 02:51 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
And then there's this ...

Chicago, here I come... - The Meta Picture

Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
cool story bro, sounds like just about every non-downtown neighborhood in Chicago
Seriously. It's lik we have that time times 10 in the city for all budgets and what not. You fail once again Chet.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Sheesh, the mere mention of anything that lies outside the hallowed bounds of 606xx just sets some people off, I've middle schooler on a playground behave this poorly but rarely adults...

I never said Westmont was better than Chicago merely that the selection of nice ethinc foods is really a plus.

My point was that places like this with their high prices and slick marketing are not really going to be attractive to any folks with a clue about what is available regionally. For folks that might be in town for something else it is probably not a bad option, but even then it is arguably not really going to send a message that Chicago (or the investors in Eatly...) should be happy about -- the sanitized soullessness of drones working for minimum wage are never going to be able to convey the enthusiasm of folks that run their own businesses.

The biggest "fail" is the attitude of those that mindless find any opportunity to play "get out of my circle of cool" at every opportunity.

Last edited by chet everett; 12-10-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago