Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times

Advertisements

New report from IBM

http://d27vj430nutdmd.cloudfront.net...b859a3e.27.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Don't you feel a little weird linking to the Illinois Department of Commerce & Community Affairs "repacked" version of the report? I mean it is would be a lot less creepy without that obvious "brag page" inserted between the cover and the table of contents. Further the boast on that page is directly counter to the rankings on page 26 of the PDF that clearly put London #1, NY #2, San Fran #3 in Software Development Weighted quality scores and Chicago at a still impressive #8, just ahead of Toronto...

The report is clearly less about anything even remotely "high tech" but the morons at IL DCCA don't care about that ...
"In total 100 cities have been selected for this analysis...cities have been selected on the basis of their size of local labor market and the inward investment ...five different types of operations is based on approach orginarly developed by IBM Plant Location International..."

The important "Executive Summary" (p 7 of PDF) does not mention Chicago in the categories for International HQ, Software Development, Shared Services or Life Sciences. In fact the only mention is in regards to Finacial Services -- ...the world's leading financial centers, New York and London, top the quality ranking, followed by Singapore and Chicago." Not too shabby but it highlights the dishonestly of DCCA's repackaging of the info. While I would not expect other than that from the dimwitted flunkies with ties to poltical power brokers that still dominate state offices, I would think such flak spun nonsense would not pass the sniff test of respected posters...

From the actual page in the real report (p 71 in the PDF) "In November 2012 Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanual signed a Global Cities Economic Partnership agreement with the mayor of Mexico City. Miguel Angel Mancera. The Chicago region is home to 1.5 million residents of Mexican descent, and Chicago has the second largest Mexican population of any city in the United States behind Los Angles." Talk about meaningless boilerplate, I think I might get more out of our ranking in the Global Soy Bean Harvest vs Bushells of Corn per Acre, and goodness knows what I'd do with understanding that a "range" is just a Yankee name for a "cooker"...

Last edited by chet everett; 12-17-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
^ why do you even live here?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Don't you feel a little weird linking to the Illinois Department of Commerce & Community Affairs "repacked" version of the report? I mean it is would be a lot less creepy without that obvious "brag page" inserted between the cover and the table of contents. Further the boast on that page is directly counter to the rankings on page 26 of the PDF that clearly put London #1, NY #2, San Fran #3 in Software Development Weighted quality scores and Chicago at a still impressive #8, just ahead of Toronto...

The report is clearly less about anything even remotely "high tech" but the morons at IL DCCA don't care about that ...
"In total 100 cities have been selected for this analysis...cities have been selected on the basis of their size of local labor market and the inward investment ...five different types of operations is based on approach orginarly developed by IBM Plant Location International..."

The important "Executive Summary" (p 7 of PDF) does not mention Chicago in the categories for International HQ, Software Development, Shared Services or Life Sciences. In fact the only mention is in regards to Finacial Services -- ...the world's leading financial centers, New York and London, top the quality ranking, followed by Singapore and Chicago." Not too shabby but it highlights the dishonestly of DCCA's repackaging of the info. While I would not expect other than that from the dimwitted flunkies with ties to poltical power brokers that still dominate state offices, I would think such flak spun nonsense would not pass the sniff test of respected posters...

From the actual page in the real report (p 71 in the PDF) "In November 2012 Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanual signed a Global Cities Economic Partnership agreement with the mayor of Mexico City. Miguel Angel Mancera. The Chicago region is home to 1.5 million residents of Mexican descent, and Chicago has the second largest Mexican population of any city in the United States behind Los Angles." Talk about meaningless boilerplate, I think I might get more out of our ranking in the Global Soy Bean Harvest vs Bushells of Corn per Acre, and goodness knows what I'd do with understanding that a "range" is just a Yankee name for a "cooker"...
You're funny.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Here you go, pdf of the report

http://www.citigroup.com/citi/citifo...tspots2025.pdf

Quote:
Chicago ranks ninth in the overall Index and is America’s second most competitive city after New York.
As America’s second most important financial hub after the Big Apple, Chicago ranks 20th in the category of financial maturity. It ranks above any other US city on its environmental governance and ability of dealing with environmental challenges (joint 4th). Its public transport plan runs until 2040, and its water management plan controls water quality, supply and demand through to 2050. The city’s economy is projected to grow by an average of 3% per year, roughly on par with San Francisco and Washington DC. The city has a long history of attracting immigrants and ranks 15th globally on social and cultural character. Other
components that underpin its competitiveness are projected improvements in government

Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,873 times
^^Thanks for posting, both of you.

I've seen some research about Chicago's positive initiatives to environmental problems. Nice to see the city is being recognized for some of them. Awhile back the Chicago Architecture Foundation had a display of models and proposals for more energy efficient architecture called Green Build, I believe. Truly brilliant.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Seriously?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
in the spirit of the christmas season, i say we all pitch in to buy chet an "I Love Chicago" t-shirt. Or, we can double the fun, and throw in an "I Love Chicago Politics" t-shirt, as well.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM

While I do love Chicago I detest the "Chicago Politics" that has put the city into financial jeopardy and threatens to harm the whole of the State of Illinois through irresponsible fiscal policies.

All the respected bond ratings agencies have responded to this problem by giving Illinois the LOWEST ranking of all states - Fitch Downgrades Chicago's Bond Rating | Progress Illinois AND
IL Bond Rating Downgrade over Pensions should be a Warning |Bartlett Center for Public Policy

These problems are direct contributors to increased taxes which hurts firms and individuals -- RealClearMarkets - Businesses Should Fear States' Big Pension Debts

Newspapers across the state recognize that the "rose colored glasses" of too many in power has made the situation especially dire and continued efforts must be made to change the way Illinois handles its finances or it won't just be businesses leaving but every aspect of competitiveness from Universities to quality of life will be impacted -- Voice of The Southern: Pension neglect not an option AND
Center for Business & Public Policy

Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM

Default A different report, and presented by the respected editors of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
... the weekly The Economist directly. No "poltical spin" involved in repackaging and nothing to really disagree about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago