Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

^ I don't really 100% understand your logic. Yes, you could miss the train, then wait an hour. However, that means you leave a little earlier than normal in case and you're fine. Obviously people do this commute. I don't understand what you're so uppity about. It could be a lot worse - like no trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The logic is simple -- for folks that want to rely on Metra for a reverse commute there are very few good back-up plans and the sparseness of others engaged in such a "salmon swimming upstream" endeavor means employees ought to think long and hard about how much they value being "car free" before assuming this is a viable path...

In contrast for folks relying on Metra to get from a desriable suburban area to an employment center in the Loop the commute is far faster than driving, there are generaly LOTS of great express and local options, hordes of other doing the same thing mean it is unlikely to be singled out by ones employer should a rare equipment related delay make one late for work, systems are set up to make this as low a cost options as possible and everything just works much better...

Of course since the OP does mention that they believe there is some kind of shuttle perhaps this is not a 100% drive-to-work situation but even then the prospect of sinking two hours every day into the commute to/from work for an area of Chicago that may not be filled with an exceptional range of entertainment / recreation options might cause one to give some thought to relocation...

Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM

^ I understand that logic finely, and understand the commute issue, but in the end that 2 hours is not completely lost time. You make the one hour schedule and 2 hour a day commute seem like a huge issue. It's the same for many folks going into the city from the suburbs. If they miss one train, they are screwed for a long time. That's the reality of Metra though and people still manage fine. Do you have to be on top of your commute? Yes, but that's not a lot to ask for 98% of people.

People commute over 2 hours a day from the suburbs to the city everyday, and they do it on the Metra which allows them to work or do other things during that commute. Most of my coworkers, when they need to get work done, do it on the Metra no problem and many others do too. Or they do something productive, fun, etc. It's a lot different than having to drive a car for two hours a day where you can't be productive like that because you're operating heavy machinery.

The OP did say they'd rather not have to move too, which in this case since they live right near the Loyola stop can be at the Metra stop in Evanston within 10-15 minutes. I do agree it leaves not too much room for error if you miss one train, but a responsible adult shouldn't have a problem with this. There's also a metra stop close to them in case the trains are completely screwed up (which doesn't happen much) that you could get to via bus alone or cab if need be. The mere fact they offer a shuttle from the Metra means that there's probably others in various cities along the route who are also adhering to this responsibility by using the Metra.

If the OP is a punctual and responsible adult, then I don't see why they can't make this work and not have to move and buy a car. Yes, not as much leeway, but it is possible and there's definite trade offs.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-06-2014 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The logic is simple -- for folks that want to rely on Metra for a reverse commute there are very few good back-up plans and the sparseness of others engaged in such a "salmon swimming upstream" endeavor means employees ought to think long and hard about how much they value being "car free" before assuming this is a viable path...

In contrast for folks relying on Metra to get from a desriable suburban area to an employment center in the Loop the commute is far faster than driving, there are generaly LOTS of great express and local options, hordes of other doing the same thing mean it is unlikely to be singled out by ones employer should a rare equipment related delay make one late for work, systems are set up to make this as low a cost options as possible and everything just works much better...

Of course since the OP does mention that they believe there is some kind of shuttle perhaps this is not a 100% drive-to-work situation but even then the prospect of sinking two hours every day into the commute to/from work for an area of Chicago that may not be filled with an exceptional range of entertainment / recreation options might cause one to give some thought to relocation...
With that said, I assume your opinion would be to move to Waukegan then?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Not necessarily Waukegan. If you are committed to living inside Chicago I would at least try to move close enough to the Rogers Park Metra stop that I would not need the extra CTA leg of the trip; that seems really pointless.

I don't disagree that commuting via Metra is often not a bad choice, but given the option of being in downtown Evanston vs Rogers Park one area seems to offer an edge in safety and many other categories...

I agree with the post upstream that found little to recommend for Waukegan -- generally not a wide range of options for nightlife, more car-centric shopping than other towns, kind of depressing reminder of just how many negatives still exist from it manufacturing legacy...

Other towns could put one MUCH closer to Waukegan and they have far more interesting / vibrant core -- Libertyville would be high on that list. Even towns like Highland Park would compare favorably so long as one shopped for a value priced rental, and the Metra travel time would slashed by over 50%!

Last edited by chet everett; 01-06-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not necessarily Waukegan. If you are committed to living inside Chicago I would at least try to move close enough to the Rogers Park Metra stop that I would not need the extra CTA leg of the trip; that seems really pointless.
That's a lot easier said than done having to move. The OP is not within short walking distance of the metra, but it's not like they live in Irving Park and have to commute to the Ravenswood or RP metra stop. They are still probably around or within 1.25 miles of the stop. The CTA leg of the trip is a grand total of riding 3 stops on the red line, walking across a platform, getting on the purple line and going 2 stops, and then walking across the street to the Metra from there. 5 stops total and while it's not as good as being next door to the station, it's not close to bad.

If the OP is thinking they need to move, there's better towns to move to, but if they're responsible, I think they can get away with this. The commute, while it may be long on the train (and you can be productive on the metra), is not necessarily a physically taxing one and allows them to not move or buy a car if they can stay on top of the schedules. If they think the schedule thing with the metra will be a concern, then I agree that moving to a suburb would be the better choice.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
With that said, I assume your opinion would be to move to Waukegan then?
Not unless you like living in a worn-out post-industrial town.

If your best option is to move up that way, I'd strongly consider Kenosha. Not especially exciting either but with a much more developed downtown. Plus you'd be within easy striking distance of Milwaukee (about 30 minutes) or Chicago (about an hour) for weekend day trips to get your "big city" fix.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM

79 posts, read 140,087 times
Where in waukegan you work at? I live in south waukegan right next to north chicago I live from a walking distance of handful of restaurant and stores. But thing is that theirs a lack of sidewalks here making it a royal pain. Sometimes dangerous because you have to walk on the road which cars would speed by you. Walking During the winter time forget it!! Also at night their a lack of street lights on some streets so it can be dangerous at night because the cars sometimes can't see you.

It's possible to travel here without a car. Another thing is Pace bus is also another pain, Because unlike the cta you would have to wait every 30 min for the bus and sometimes an hour. Waiting 30 min in the cold or in the heat would fell like an hour at times.
Pace also has a habit of not making it on time on the transfer stops (outside of downtown). Owning a car here would make the commute a lot easier.

If want to live here would have to give up nearly everything you love about the city.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Update 2/7/14:

Ok I'm back. The job I interviewed for is looking like it might be a go...it's in the Abbott Park area. I believe this is considered "Lake Bluff" and not Waukegan? Anyways, still close to Waukegan.

My close friend here is telling me to move to Schaumburg... She's saying I *need* a car for sure and relying on Metra will be too big of a hassle.

Do others concur? Why or why not?

And after having driven up there for the interview, I'm not sure I'd want to be that far from Chicago. Would Evanston be a better bet? Seems to be between Chicago and Lake Bluff. Close to CTA and Metra but still close enough to Chicago stuff for the weekeneds.

Thoughts....?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Update 2/7/14:

Ok I'm back. The job I interviewed for is looking like it might be a go...it's in the Abbott Park area. I believe this is considered "Lake Bluff" and not Waukegan? Anyways, still close to Waukegan.

My close friend here is telling me to move to Schaumburg... She's saying I *need* a car for sure and relying on Metra will be too big of a hassle.

Do others concur? Why or why not?

And after having driven up there for the interview, I'm not sure I'd want to be that far from Chicago. Would Evanston be a better bet? Seems to be between Chicago and Lake Bluff. Close to CTA and Metra but still close enough to Chicago stuff for the weekeneds.

Thoughts....?
Schaumburg? No way.

Can you get to work easily off the Abbott Metra stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago