Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

Looks like news is already starting to spread around about it...

Chicago Spire Reorganized - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
when's considered too early? (i mean, for future reference, of course)
I go by, "it's 5:00 somewhere", then just start after I say it.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM

498 posts, read 724,621 times
Would be awesome if it happens. Even if it didn't get completed until 2018+, the amount of construction jobs it would create in the mean time would be awesome.

And people on Curbed want to whine that they don't like the design. For the record, I actually love the design and think it will add more diversity to the skyline.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I go by, "it's 5:00 somewhere", then just start after I say it.
thanks, BigLake: I've circled 5:00 am on tomorrow's calendar!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
am i weird: i still pine away from the original, condo/hotel Waterview which I thought would have been a striking building with some of the most exciting unit floor plans (the penthouses: full floor each; incredible) I've ever seen (plus ample outdoor balcony or terrace space, something I think is a lacking in Trump……at those prices, one should be able to walk outside from one's home.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:55 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
This has a 0% chance of happening.

That fraudulent "developer" dude from Ireland (who was discovered to have never actually developed anything) is flat-broke.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Oh, dear. Regardless of the time of day where you live ... it is 5 o'clock somewhere in the world. This is what my aunt told me at 9:02am every morning when she ordered her martini without vermouth and pointed to her watch.

The first day I asked, "What's a martini without vermouth?"
In the background I heard my father say, "A glass of gin."

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
thanks, BigLake: I've circled 5:00 am on tomorrow's calendar!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Would be awesome if it happens. Even if it didn't get completed until 2018+, the amount of construction jobs it would create in the mean time would be awesome.

And people on Curbed want to whine that they don't like the design. For the record, I actually love the design and think it will add more diversity to the skyline.
I tend to agree with the whiners at Curbed. The size of the building and it's design will dominate the skyline and it just seems out of place, IMO.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Very mixed feelings. Although the building has a cetain undeniable visual appeal in some of the computer models and drawings that have been seen when you think what this is going to end looking like if it ever gets built AND the impact it would have on the area of the river & LSDr it becomes less appealing -- sorta seems like it could be plunked down anywhere and it is more about calling attention to itself than really I think any potential condo buyer wants to do in this era...

Maybe I am wrong but the folks that I've known who've lived in other "signature" type highrises nearby are getting older and even if they are healthy not really looking forward to getting old in some very costly and isolated building. On top of those concerns there is the dimension others have not just hinted but openly expressed concern about -- that thing becomes a target! It is hugely easy to grab worldwide headlines when even a low skill pilot can basically come straight down / across Lake Michigan and plow into it in a very very horrifying way...

The return on investment will be a big big question too -- many people from every segment of the population of not just condo buyers but other categories of real east buyers both residential and commercial knows just how much downside remains with the unhealthy speculative bubbles that are again overheated in parts of the region. This thing needs to have some really deep pocketed investors with assets not tied to real estate to weather any storms that are frankly likely in a project with so long and complicated time for build out ...

Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
The design is growing on me. It's striking, and makes a bold statement for sure. If the project gets green-lighted, I'd be happy to see it go up.

INSPIRE The Chicago Spire - HD HQ Full Length - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago