Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Italian Beef vs. Cheese Steak
Chicago's dripping delicacy 43 69.35%
the pride of South Philly 19 30.65%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times

Advertisements

after reading the comments, i have to wonder: did santa ever get booed while eating a cheese steak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post

Portillo's is my favorite beef from a chain, but it depends on the location. T.
I prefer to think of Portillo's or Lou's as "collections", not "chains". both classic chicago companies have no franchises, run and own all their outlets, and keep them manageable in number to assure quality. in fact, that's where we differ…..I've never gone wrong with a Portillo's beef sandwich anywhere can can almost say the same thing about a Malnati's pizza (pizza being the harder to pull off, with some expected slip up's)at any location. the lexus and bmw of multi location restaurants.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Chicago Italian Beef is very good. Whenever I visit Chicago I also make sure I get one. In my opinion the Northside makes it the best.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:20 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
IME a good beef is very hard to find on the north side until you get pretty far west, when I lived in Lincoln Square I used to out to Montrose and Narragansett to get a good one. Like one fella already said in the thread there are LOTS of places in town making mediocre beefs. When I was a kid on the West Side good beef stands were common, as were Italians. I liked Carm's, Linda's and Dolly Joe's especially. I liked my beef a little on the dry side, so the bread was still snappy. I wonder if the current liking for sloppy dunked beefs has to do with so many places now using lousy bread that isn't crusty and snappy to start with.

That said I now prefer a good Philly "pizza steak" (provolone cheese, pizza sauce, green peppers) to a beef sandwich. My wife is from Philly and turned me on to Philly's Best which she says is the real deal. She left Philly before the current craze for putting Cheeze Whiz on the things.

I prefer a good combo, with the sausage cooked over a flame, to either a beef or a cheese steak. Well now I can't get a beef anyway and I assuage myself with stuff east coast people do well like meatball sandwiches, cheesesteaks and Italian subs.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default There is hope...

Tom:

The good guys that make Italian Beef are happy to ship it to even godforsaken places like Florida

You can hold a local taste test:

Bari Beef - Simply the Best Italian Beef

Al's Italian Beef Shipping

Ship Chicago Style Italian Beef from Portillos or Vienna Beef | Tastes of Chicago

Old 02-21-2014, 01:03 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,057 times
A good cheesesteak can be pretty badass. Especially if they use sliced provolone, not that cheese whiz garbage.

But I'll take a good Italian beef every time.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
it's all about the spicy giardiniera
Exactly.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,423,320 times
I like both. If I have to pick, Chicago beef, but I agree that random places offering beef can be pretty bad. Basically the quality range is higher on the high and low end with Chicago beef.

For local chains, I think Al's is better than Portillo's, esp. the original and River North locations.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
I don't *hafta* choose one or the other! And I won't! (Even though I've never been to Philly, so can't claim to have had a really Philly cheesesteak.)

Old 02-21-2014, 02:37 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,627,603 times
I really can't pick one over the other, they're both great sandwiches if made with quality ingredients. That being said, I would give Philly the nod for having the best sandwiches overall. I can't think of any other city that has so many great sandwiches. Besides the cheese steak there is the roast pork, Italian hoagies, chicken cutlet, meatball, etc. I'm not putting down Chicago, which has an excellent food scene, but Philly wins out when it comes to sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago