Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Italian Beef vs. Cheese Steak
Chicago's dripping delicacy 43 69.35%
the pride of South Philly 19 30.65%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 PM

104 posts, read 149,878 times

Advertisements

The Italian Beef hands down. Not all places are created equal so you just can't get your beef sandwiches from just anyplace. Mr. Beef, Al's Beef and Portillos are spots that stand out. There are some hidden gems in different neighborhoods throughout the city and the suburbs. Manjovins on the northside near Damen and Belmont has a good sammich. Margie's in Westmont, gone but not forgotten Double DOGS used to be on Lincoln and Melrose

Philly cheesesteaks are only tasty in Philly. Everyone else selling a Philly is selling a phony. Another thing is you have to eat a Philly pretty much right after its made or it taste like doo doo. You could let an Italian beef sammich sit for a minute before you enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 03:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERMAN View Post

Philly cheesesteaks are only tasty in Philly. Everyone else selling a Philly is selling a phony.
Those are ridiculous assertions.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:29 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,643,263 times
I have to go with Italian beef and it is one of the things that I miss about Chicago. I also miss good pizza!

Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,183,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Tom:

The good guys that make Italian Beef are happy to ship it to even godforsaken places like Florida

You can hold a local taste test:

Bari Beef - Simply the Best Italian Beef

Al's Italian Beef Shipping

Ship Chicago Style Italian Beef from Portillos or Vienna Beef | Tastes of Chicago
Lol, I was just at Portillos yesterday
& found out they ship.....
One of my friends who travels extensively says no matter where ya go- ya always realize how spoiled we are, with our beef sandwiches, pizza, hot dogs, etc. So it's good to know that there is a way to get it if you're in a place where the food lacks.
Oh & this cannot be a real question--
honestly, there's no contest of course.
Chicago wins by a landslide
Now I want an Italian beef, dipped w/ extra sweet peppers lol
And I've only had a Philly once
in my entire life-
that was enough

Old 02-21-2014, 04:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
I enjoy a GOOD Philly cheesesteak, and have had some very legitimately good ones. Same as an Italian Beef. It's a close decision

Old 02-21-2014, 05:19 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,739,153 times
The best comfort food will always be greens, cornbread, and fried chicken ~ Maya Angelou

Old 02-22-2014, 04:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I have to go with Italian beef and it is one of the things that I miss about Chicago. I also miss good pizza!
There are a couple of Portillo's in SoCal but they're probably way out of your way (Buena Park and Moreno Valley). Could be worth it if you're down that way on other business though...

Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 AM

955 posts, read 1,833,659 times
I wouldn't dis a Philly, because I have never really had a good one in these parts. A couple of years ago, I was in Gettysburg, but couldn't convince my travelmates to make the hour and a half ride to south Philly for one of these. We wound up at Hoss's steak house that night and I will never ever forgive them for that. I don't even accept their phone calls anymore.

As far as IB is concerned, it is and always will be a regular part of my diet. The opportunity to eat one of those meaty, gravy-drenched sandwiches, is more than just a perk of of living in Chicago, it's a birthright that I would never relinquish.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:46 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times
I can't really say that Portillo's is "the best" if any one such place exists; certainly it is among the best. and then there's the factor of locations: what's unbelievable is that Portillo's can offer such a product at all its many, many restaurants. the other real competition may have one of two locations, nothing that can compare as such as the number Portillo's has.

It's the magic of have a successful, high quality chain of restaurants with many locations…..but no franchises; all owned by the company, owned by a company that is into quality control at all locations.

it's what gives Portillo's its ability to make the Italian beef it does and gives Lou's the ability to deliver deep dish pizza with the quality it has.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:47 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Gimme a break. I have been to Philly and even the "premier" places use some of the most disgusting excuses for "cheeez" this side of a cardboard bin of "stadium nachos" https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...w=1389&bih=810
Stop bullsh*tting. A lot of those cheesesteaks (don't know where you were in Philly) use some good sharp provolone, while you can scarcely get anything in Chicago with cheese on it that isn't served from a pump. I'm still, everyday, baffled by Chicago's weird ass cheese sauce. I would harm innocent people if I could add cheese to something in these parts that wasn't neon and/or liquid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago