Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:29 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
That's quite a semantic hair-splitting feat you're attempting to pull off, there. I'm not sure how you personally define "substantially" in this context, but that's all relative. Most would call UV quite gentrified these days.
What? That was in response to someone else claiming it was "substantial." To me, substantial would be stores like Lullulemon and a Starbucks on every other street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
As I mentioned in my post, most Ukrainian immigrants cannot afford to live there but they do go there
for many reasons: church, the Cultural Center, the bakeries and delis, services such as attorneys, banks,
shipping goods to relatives back in Ukraine, St. Nicholas elementary (which also has Saturday classes
for Ukrainian Americans). For almost 100 years it was a port of entry and it is a recent phenomenon
where they cannot afford to live there or open new businesses due to the high cost of rent.

Slava Ukraina.
I wouldn't say "all" can't afford to live there. It's hilarious to me how people think that an immigrant comes here, can't get a job, etc. I have news for you - there's places in UK Village, with roommates, for $500/month. My friend's boyfriend has a VERY nice 4 bedroom place there which is a grand total of $2400/month. $600 per person. So please tell me how an immigrant who comes here and can find a job even at $9/hour for 40 hours/week can't afford $600/month or even $700/month? As far as where they first come - Ukraine is not a third world country so stop thinking like it is. People make less there, but the average rent in Kiev is still something like $400/month and in the center of the city it's more like $700/month.

I think it's hilarious that people here fall into judging people by "immigrant" status. No, not all immigrants are dirt poor when they come into a country. Are they rich? Usually not, but just because you're an immigrant doesn't mean you come into this country as a broke person. Even if they all were, the average rent someone pays in Kiev could still afford them to live in areas of Humboldt Park and East Garfield Park not far away.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Yeah try buying even a modest home there.

It may not look like Wicker Park yet but the writings on the wall.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM

Yeah, because the average immigrant comes into the country and buys a home right away.....of course it's gentrifying, but it's still not that expensive to rent if you get roommates (which, most of the places there are 2+ bedroom units anyway).

By the way, according to this site, the cost of a 900 sq ft apartment in an expensive area of Kiev is $1200-$1300/month:
http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/kiev

Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
As I posted, back in 1990 there were only 2,500 people of Ukrainian descent--not born, of descent--left in Ukrainian Village.

Compare that with Buffalo Grove, which has the 17th highest percentage of Ukrainian born citizens for any municipality in the country, 3 percent. The population of Buffalo Grove is 40,000; thus it has about 1,200 Ukrainian born citizens.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Substantially? No it's not - it's in the process of gentrification right now but it's not substantially gentrified..come on
My husband is 100% Ukrainian and grew up in the village. He attended St. Nicholas back when classes were taught in Ukrainian.

When his family arrived here in the 50's, they rented one room in an apartment shared by several other Ukrainian families in a building owned by Ukrainians. They worked and saved every penny till they could buy their own 3 flat and rented out rooms to other Ukrainian immigrants.

His parents lived an isolated life within the village to the point they never learned English because they rarely ventured out of the village. His mother was a commercial cleaning lady and worked for a Ukrainian supervisor.

That generation is long gone and their children have, for the most part, left the area. I would be surprised if there were 250 people of Ukrainian descent left in the area and they are not likely going to rent out rooms to immigrant families.

Having said this, the area, especially the churches and museum, remain a part of Ukrainian cultural history.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 03-05-2014 at 10:50 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My husband is 100% Ukrainian and grew up in the village. He attended St. Nicholas back when classes were taught in Ukrainian. We have property in the area.
What's your point? That owning property in the area magically makes my opinion less valid as someone who hangs out in the neighborhood? It's semi gentrified, but it's not at Lincoln Park gentrification levels. Will it be in 5-10 years? Very possibly

Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say "all" can't afford to live there. It's hilarious to me how people think that an immigrant comes here, can't get a job, etc. I have news for you - there's places in UK Village, with roommates, for $500/month. My friend's boyfriend has a VERY nice 4 bedroom place there which is a grand total of $2400/month. $600 per person. So please tell me how an immigrant who comes here and can find a job even at $9/hour for 40 hours/week can't afford $600/month or even $700/month? As far as where they first come - Ukraine is not a third world country so stop thinking like it is. People make less there, but the average rent in Kiev is still something like $400/month and in the center of the city it's more like $700/month.

I think it's hilarious that people here fall into judging people by "immigrant" status. No, not all immigrants are dirt poor when they come into a country. Are they rich? Usually not, but just because you're an immigrant doesn't mean you come into this country as a broke person. Even if they all were, the average rent someone pays in Kiev could still afford them to live in areas of Humboldt Park and East Garfield Park not far away.
Quote:
Yeah, because the average immigrant comes into the country and buys a home right away.....of course it's gentrifying, but it's still not that expensive to rent if you get roommates (which, most of the places there are 2+ bedroom units anyway).

By the way, according to this site, the cost of a 900 sq ft apartment in an expensive area of Kiev is $1200-$1300/month:
Cost of Living in Kiev. Updated Prices Feb 2014.
Who said they can't get a job? Did you know that many immigrants who came here had professional
carriers....like doctors and also have children? How do you split rent per person with kids (roomates)?
Also, no one else mentioned that Ukraine was a third world country. And regarding Kiev, it is the
capital and more expensive than other cities in Ukraine. As I said before, Ukrainian immigrants
came to UV since 1907 and it was affordable for families.
The response is....oh well, just move to other areas even though Ukrainian immigrants, first and second
generations set roots there for almost 100 years. And during the late 60's, 70's and even the 1980's
it was an island where everyone watched over one another and there was little interest in the concept
of gentrification.

btw, here are some other links regarding the cost of living. Goods and services vary in comparison
to the US.

Cost of living Ukraine

The Good, the Bad and The Ugly of living in Ukraine By Simon A. Leopold

Old 03-05-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Who said they can't get a job? Did you know that many immigrants who came here had professional
carriers....like doctors and also have children? How do you split rent per person with kids (roomates)?
Perhaps you should read what I said again because you obviously misinterpreted what I said. What you said is in 100% agreeance with what I said. My point was that being an "immigrant" doesn't mean you're dirt poor and you can't get a job - I don't know how you interpreted it as me saying the other way around. My point is that just because you're an "immigrant" doesn't mean that you automatically can't afford to live in certain areas. While the odds of it may be like that depending on where you live, it's not necessarily true.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I didn't say they dominate the area but they're definitely still around in noticeable numbers. I live just north of there and I'm in the area often. When I walk or jog around the area in the summer I will more often than not hear some Ukrainian being spoken. I always see Ukrainians hanging out in Smith Park and at the local stores around Grand & Western. There are also a couple of dive bars along Grand that cater to the Ukrainians in the neighborhood (real dives, not hipster hangouts).
The Ukrainian language is lexically close to other west Slavic languages, especially Polish.
My husband ( Ukrainian) can discern the differences. I cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago