Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

I remember when I first moved to Edgewater in 1992 I used to hear gunshots at night more often than I cared to even admit to myself.

...so yes, the neighborhoods in Chicago have changed over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I remember when I first moved to Edgewater in 1992 I used to hear gunshots at night more often than I cared to even admit to myself.

For sure, many parts of the North Side used to be not so nice. I was born up there, and my mom still talks about how crappy it was in the 70's.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post

I lived there then too and Kenmore and Winthorp were pretty bad. Lots of criminals and hookers walked the streets day and night. But they didn't bother us on Sheridan.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:06 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
It's still pretty crappy between Montrose and Lawrence east of Broadway, and the Winthrop-Kenmore corridor through Edgewater is also more sketchy than most people realize. I remember getting a bit spooked north of Grace about 15 years ago, and Buena Park was better by the lake, but scarier to the west near the cemetary. I don't think Clarendon was ever THAT bad, but it wasn't anything like today. I live in Buena Park now and it feels like a northern extension of Lakeview. In fact, I think that Buena Park from Irving Park Road up to Hutchinson Street is actually quite a bit nicer than Lakeview from Grace to Irving Park. The housing stock is better cared for, and that "Hotel Chateau" SRO in Lakeview keeps things seedy along Broadway. Buena Park has one corner near the Uhaul that causes some problems, but other than that it is a great place to live.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's still pretty crappy between Montrose and Lawrence east of Broadway, and the Winthrop-Kenmore corridor through Edgewater is also more sketchy than most people realize.
I live on Winthrop near Hollywood and haven't gotten terribly freaked out since I've lived here. I've heard about the sketchtastic buildings on my block though. Then again I'm lame and hardly ever go out at night, hah.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's still pretty crappy between Montrose and Lawrence east of Broadway, and the Winthrop-Kenmore corridor through Edgewater is also more sketchy than most people realize. I remember getting a bit spooked north of Grace about 15 years ago, and Buena Park was better by the lake, but scarier to the west near the cemetary. I don't think Clarendon was ever THAT bad, but it wasn't anything like today. I live in Buena Park now and it feels like a northern extension of Lakeview. In fact, I think that Buena Park from Irving Park Road up to Hutchinson Street is actually quite a bit nicer than Lakeview from Grace to Irving Park. The housing stock is better cared for, and that "Hotel Chateau" SRO in Lakeview keeps things seedy along Broadway. Buena Park has one corner near the Uhaul that causes some problems, but other than that it is a great place to live.
Oh yeah, the Hotel Chateau is the bane of the area. I will not go on about it,since I tried an ill fated post on the subject a few weeks ago. The Uhaul yep, that is pretty sketchy-who knows what is going on there.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I live on Winthrop near Hollywood and haven't gotten terribly freaked out since I've lived here. I've heard about the sketchtastic buildings on my block though. Then again I'm lame and hardly ever go out at night, hah.
Up by Hollywood is much better than between Montrose and Lawrence. Many large buildings have been rehabbed. Your area is much safer than the area near Truman College and the Wilson L stop.:-) Nice access to LSD too;-)

Old 04-19-2008, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 19,499 times
Default No ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Uptown. It was also home to one of the 2 major skinhead groups in Chicago. They were called CASH for Chicago Area Skin Heads. They were anti racist and largely ruffian drop out types that ran the streets. Their sworn enemies were a skinhead group called SHOC for Skin Heads Of Chicago which were racist skinheads based mostly in Marquette Park. The 2 groups often clashed in places like Lincoln Park or Rush Street.
You got it backwards:
CASH=Racist
SHOC=Mixed... Black & White & Hispanic & Asian

Old 12-28-2008, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,788 times
Booblies finally corrected what was completely wrong. C.A.S.H. aka Chicago Area SkinHeads was the first organized "neo-nazi" SkinHead group in the United States. It was started by Clark Martell along with Kevin, Sean, Morgan, Chris, Pat, etc... They also went by the name of Romantic Violence and were the first distributors / importers of Skrewdriver records and tapes. CASH were also the source of the first openly "White Power" SkinHead band in America, which was called "The Final Solution". Time magazine did a brief article about them way back when. Later members tried to revitalize that name, but they were completely different members playing completely different music. They later changed their name to The W.A.Y., which stood for White Aryan Youth. While many of the members lived in various parts of the city, there was a large "crew" that was South Side i.e. Blue Island and Midlothian based. Those that lived in the city really didn't frequent too many public venues or hang out in the streets, as what they saw going on in City clubs ( massive drug use and trafficking, race mixing, homosexuals & cross-dressers ) basically made them sick. S.H.O.C. aka Skin Heads Of Chicago was a group started by Sonny & Dwayne, two black punk rockers that shaved their heads and called themselves "skinheads". In order for a female to join SHOC, they would have to have sex with someone outside of their race in order to "prove" that they weren't racist. Sonny and especially Dwayne, who was later convicted of rape, were the prime "testers" for white and hispanic girls that wanted to become part of their crowd. Obviously, they reaped the benefits of making up their own "anti-racist" rules for their "social club" that was based in the Belmont / Cabaret Metro area. Joe Mateljan, founder of the Chicago punk band called "DYP" i.e. Destructive Youth Patrol somewhat wandered back and forth between both camps. He had a mulatto half-brother named Bobby, which made it difficult for the members of CASH to fully accept him given their attitudes and beliefs. Joe, along with many of his cronies known as the "Bomber Boys", used to hang out in the Lincoln Park area not far from the original Wax Trax. Outside of that, the Gaylords ( Great Aryan Youth Loving Our Race Destroying Spics ) were somewhat spread out. Another group known as T.J.O. ( Truth, Justice & Order ), which the police called "Thorndale Jag-Off's" were also another loose knit faction. The Royals were mostly white, but in different areas of the city, also accepted "white thinking" light skinned latino's. The actual park in Marquette Park was a common place to meet these people, as it was STRICTLY white people. Those of another race were instantly chased out of the park and / or severely beaten. That was back when the area was well kept and clean. Most all of this is now ancient history. Everyone tries to be "politically correct", even if it means ignoring the truth, facts and data. The history books have been written and re-written by the victors to emulate their point of view, often neglecting or covering up the truth of many different matters. Such is life and how mankind has operated for as long as history has been recorded.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:48 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Uptown. It was also home to one of the 2 major skinhead groups in Chicago. They were called CASH for Chicago Area Skin Heads. They were anti racist and largely ruffian drop out types that ran the streets. Their sworn enemies were a skinhead group called SHOC for Skin Heads Of Chicago which were racist skinheads based mostly in Marquette Park. The 2 groups often clashed in places like Lincoln Park or Rush Street.
How can you be a Skinhead and a anti-racist at the same time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago