Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:06 AM

9 posts, read 7,623 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to North Chicago for his promotion at work and looking to live either within the city or a nearby suburb. We only have a couple of friends that live in the area (a couple that lives in Wrigleyville and another who lives on the south side, so I'm not sure how much help they will be…).

My husband will be managing approximately 8 retail stores in the area, so we will need to live near a major interstate. Neither of us are really "big city" people, but it's hard not to get excited about the prospect of living near all the hustle and bustle. My husband is from the Indianapolis burbs and I was born and raised in a college town. However, having lived next door to Indiana University for the past 10 years, we are both used to having a lot of amenities and things to do nearby.

We will be living on a middle class income and we are used to paying around $1000 a month on our current mortgage/utilities, but we could live comfortably spending around $1500 on rent/utilities a month if necessary. He is in his early 30s and not into partying much these days, but I'm still in my mid twenties and would like to live near other young people and some nightlife. Any suggestions on areas/neighborhoods we should look into? Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 11:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,730,117 times
Edgewater and Lincoln Square are good places to start looking. Both have lively commercial districts but the residential areas can be quieter tree lined streets. $1500 budget should be sufficient.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:27 AM

265 posts, read 405,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Edgewater and Lincoln Square are good places to start looking. Both have lively commercial districts but the residential areas can be quieter tree lined streets. $1500 budget should be sufficient.
Yes, they are but not convenient to an expressway. That might be a PIA commute pending on where his stores are.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Thanks Vlajos! We've heard a lot of good things about Lincoln Square and in fact, I think that is the #1 neighborhood that has been recommended to us so far. Is Edgewater the same thing as "Bucktown"? I've heard that area is more up and coming with young people nowadays, but that crime there is still an issue?

Old 10-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post
Yes, they are but not convenient to an expressway. That might be a PIA commute pending on where his stores are.
He will have Stratford in Bloomingdale, Spring Hill in Dundee, Gurnee Mills, Cherryvale in Rockford, Woodfield in Schaumburg, Harlem Plaza in Norridge, North Riverside Park and Fashion Outlets of Chicago.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissingSpiceGirl View Post
He will have Stratford in Bloomingdale, Spring Hill in Dundee, Gurnee Mills, Cherryvale in Rockford, Woodfield in Schaumburg, Harlem Plaza in Norridge, North Riverside Park and Fashion Outlets of Chicago.
Ugh, that's tough. He has to go to those locations every week?

Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks Vlajos! We've heard a lot of good things about Lincoln Square and in fact, I think that is the #1 neighborhood that has been recommended to us so far. Is Edgewater the same thing as "Bucktown"? I've heard that area is more up and coming with young people nowadays, but that crime there is still an issue?
No, Bucktown is a different neighborhood than Edgewater. Bucktown is probably more trendy and certainly more expensive. IMO, from what you said you are looking for Edgewater is better.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Ugh, that's tough. He has to go to those locations every week?
No, not every week but he is expected to visit each store at least once a month. I know they seem pretty spread out, but they pay for his mileage and the distances are not that far from what he is traveling already. Right now he is traveling from Bloomington, Indiana to as far north as Fort Wayne (3 hours) and as far east as Columbus, OH (almost 4 hours).

Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
No, not every week but he is expected to visit each store at least once a month. I know they seem pretty spread out, but they pay for his mileage and the distances are not that far from what he is traveling already. Right now he is traveling from Bloomington, Indiana to as far north as Fort Wayne (3 hours) and as far east as Columbus, OH (almost 4 hours).
Ah, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,843,971 times
Quote:
In this case, I might recommend staying in that 290/294 vicinity, with Elmhurst being the best option I can think of with at least some semblance of a downtown area with bars. You can easily go in any direction from that starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago