Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
What does concern me... I heard this guy spent 25mm of his own loot on the campaign, why does he want to be the governor so bad? Its obviously not for the pay.
I think he genuinely has ideas and thinks he can help fix the state and like me can't stand what our inept and corrupt [Democrat] politicians are doing. He could just do what most millionaires are doing and that is making another state like Florida their primary residence and only maintaining a smaller secondary house in Illinois for when they decide to be here and watch the train wreck.

I think the best case scenario is that Madigan ends up eventually getting arrested by the FBI and removed from office as it seems that is the only way to get rid of really bad politicians in this state. Heck they had that Judge Grimm that was legally insane and the voters kept her and the Illinois supreme court had to finally remove her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 11:03 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
MSChemist, aren't you a public sector worker who couldn't find a well-paying science job in the wonderful private sector? If I am remembering correctly and that is true...wow. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:02 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Yep. He's not going to much, especially for the City of Chicago. Why? Because the democrats still control basically everything else, and everything he's going to try to pass, I guarantee you will get shot down in seconds by Madigan and others. Hell, Quinn outright stated that in his last few months as Governor, that he'd make it his life goal to raise the minimum wage. Most people in IL support it, according to the polls, so that's probably going to happen.

I wish he had more power, though I really don't know what he can do yet. Let's just hope for the best. But I highly doubt anything drastic will change. Hopefully he invests his own money in this broke state.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:16 PM

498 posts, read 724,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Hell, Quinn outright stated that in his last few months as Governor, that he'd make it his life goal to raise the minimum wage. Most people in IL support it, according to the polls, so that's probably going to happen.
It already happened. It was an amendment that was voted on and passed.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default WHERE are you getting YOUR new????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Nonsense.

Rauner did say this:
Quote:
... an increase should be combined with pro-business reforms.

"We should combine it, this is important, with pro-business policy, so we reduce worker's comp costs, we reduce the tax burden and change the lawsuit abuse with tort reform so that small businesses can afford to pay a higher minimum wage,"
Rauner backs minimum wage increase - Quad-Cities Online: Local

Sheesh. Read a little, would ya?

Rauner knows what he is doing, and I suspect Madigan does too -- if lawmakers give Quinn some kind of "going away present" he could come back in four years and neither Madigan or Rauner want that possibility!

Old 11-08-2014, 07:42 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Rauner is facing a veto proof majority in both the house and the senate - he can't block anything.
Yup, he is nothing more than a figurehead at this point.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
As far as I can tell, everything Rahm has done as mayor is right out of the Republican playbook of privatizing public assets for the benefit of his rich friends. It sounds like he has an ally in the governor's office now.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:40 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
Quote:
It wasn't an amendment. It was a non-binding advisory referendum put on the ballot by Madigan.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:06 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
As far as I can tell, everything Rahm has done as mayor is right out of the Republican playbook of privatizing public assets for the benefit of his rich friends. It sounds like he has an ally in the governor's office now.
Yup.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:03 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,289 times
Quote:
Wat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago