Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times

Advertisements

Whatever the general situation for architects in Chicago is, it seems like it would be prudent to try to secure employment starting now, rather than waiting until after graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 04:25 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default An excellent suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Whatever the general situation for architects in Chicago is, it seems like it would be prudent to try to secure employment starting now, rather than waiting until after graduation.
I cannot help but think that is something ANYONE would support. Utilizing the full range of on-campus connections while one is still at schools is a smart way to address. I suppose it is even possible that the OP's school in California may have some alumni in Chicago that he could network with...

Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 PM

425 posts, read 466,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I cannot help but think that is something ANYONE would support. Utilizing the full range of on-campus connections while one is still at schools is a smart way to address. I suppose it is even possible that the OP's school in California may have some alumni in Chicago that he could network with...
I think you're right Chet Everrett. Even though I would ultimately like to try a new city outside of SoCal I am aware that ultimately where I can get a job is one of the more important things. I just recently landed an internship in Orange County (health care design), and even though I'm not too sure it's an area of the architecture field I want to stick with I am trying to see it as a stepping stone. And you're also right that my school, Cal Poly, has many many more connections to firms in the LA metropolitan area.

I was able to get an internship in San Francisco last summer (I think I got super lucky landing that one given I didn't have any professional connections in the Bay Area prior).

Like SF at the beginning, I wouldn't have any professional connections in Chicago to give me a step up. In addition to that however, Chicago is much farther away from family (so I'd really be on my own out there in the midwest). So for me Chicago seems like a much bigger undertaking than SF.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
It most definitely makes sense to leverage university connections to the fullest extent possible. I completely agree. If you've got a something lined up in CA and nothing to show for your effort in Chicago, then it would be stupid to move to Chicago.

FWIW, Chet is also our resident pessimist. If the three of us were sitting at a bar and you took your first sip of a pint, he'd tell you that you that your beer is practically gone.

Here are some Bureau of Labor Statistics job totals for 2012 to 13 for Architects (excluding Landscape/Naval, so "pure" architecture).

Occupation Growth (2012 to 2013) from the BLS OES data series:
San Francisco: -9.3%
Los Angeles: +3.0%
Chicago: +8.5%

Old 02-17-2015, 12:22 AM

425 posts, read 466,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
It most definitely makes sense to leverage university connections to the fullest extent possible. I completely agree. If you've got a something lined up in CA and nothing to show for your effort in Chicago, then it would be stupid to move to Chicago.

FWIW, Chet is also our resident pessimist. If the three of us were sitting at a bar and you took your first sip of a pint, he'd tell you that you that your beer is practically gone.

Here are some Bureau of Labor Statistics job totals for 2012 to 13 for Architects (excluding Landscape/Naval, so "pure" architecture).

Again, Thanks for all of your encouragement Chicago76. I have been seriously thinking of moving to the Windy City for proabably the past 2-3 years. I am absolutely making the trip this year to Chicago to finalize my intent to move there and then I will plan and take all the steps to make the goal happen.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default BLS projections are notoriously unreliable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post

... the OP seems to realize that once they have gained some experience through internships / leveraging local connections they'll probably be much more likely to line up an actual career-based type job.

I consider this more realistic than the "everything is awesome" tune sung by too many dim-witted denizens of city joy that foolishly ignore the significant hurdles that folks without expericne would face in trying to relocate here.
http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...s-accurate.asp

Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
... the OP seems to realize that once they have gained some experience through internships / leveraging local connections they'll probably be much more likely to line up an actual career-based type job.

I consider this more realistic than the "everything is awesome" tune sung by too many dim-witted denizens of city joy that foolishly ignore the significant hurdles that folks without expericne would face in trying to relocate here.
Is the Bureau of Labor Statistics accurate?
Seeing as we are in 2015. I don't think the growth rates posted are a forecast.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
IMO Chicago isn't really a car free lifestyle
having lived here for 10 years without a car quite comfortably (as have most of my friends), i can assure you it is very doable if you are actually open to the lifestyle change

Old 02-17-2015, 09:57 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I don't think you should let anything on here dissuade you from trying to move to Chicago. There are still architect and firms and they are still working but its hard to find jobs. Start looking early and learn all you can about the city. I would visit during different times of the year. Right now its terribly cold but spring is right around the corner (ha ha). The patterns of segregation in the city are somewhat historical in nature and slow to change. Having said that, there are many wonderful neighborhoods you can live in.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
having lived here for 10 years without a car quite comfortably (as have most of my friends), i can assure you it is very doable if you are actually open to the lifestyle change
I've lived in Chicago for about 6 years without a car. It's extremely do-able. Perhaps if you're going to areas of the city near the suburbs that don't have good coverage like Dunning then sure (but still very possible) but many areas is very easy. Chicago is one of the top 5 or 6 most walkable cities in the country, and the neighborhoods near the lake (and some elsewhere) are just as walkable as almost anywhere in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago