Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 PM

6 posts, read 6,621 times

Advertisements

Hellooo! I work in a very specialized field, a wonderful job opportunity has come my way, and as a result am moving to Chicago! I'm really excited- only been to Chicago twice, but have really loved the feeling and humility- so looking forward. Plus, I grew up in western NY, and love winter- am totally used to lake-effect snow. There's just one catch: I'll be working in the suburbs -- Naperville and occasionally Western Springs.

I'm in my late 20's, female, and by the time I move to Chicago, newly single... no kids, never been married. For those reasons alone, I know that I cannot really survive in the suburbs, and am willing to consider a commute of ~45-60 minutes (I'm crazy and kept my car in NYC). Also: I'll be reverse commuting at around 2PM in the afternoons out to the suburbs, and back into Chicago around 8.

So, having lived in Brooklyn for the past 3+ years- I know what I want: Pre-war, mom&pop businesses, basic errands within walking distance, homes relatively close together, coffee shops with wifi, historic buildings, "family" feeling (not interested in hipster meccas), and wonderful food and or/gourmand grocery stores. My future colleagues told me so many great things about Oak Park, had high hopes... was envisioning a Riverdale-type neighborhood...but it was really too suburban for me. I can appreciate what a great neighborhood it is- just might not be for me.

For those of you who know New York and Brooklyn, my favorite neighborhoods are Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn Heights, South Slope, Red Hook, Clinton Hill, Windsor Terrace, Carroll Gardens, Bay Ridge...then upper west side, west village, morningside heights, Riverdale, etc.

I know I sound like I am looking for New York in Chicago-- it's not that! I know they are two distinctly different places. And I am EXCITED!! to move to chicago... won't be complaining it's too cold or there are no good bagels and won't be starting sentences with "Well, in New York..."

Just looking for suggestions. Is Hyde Park reasonable?

Oh yeah. My budget would ideally be $1100 or under for a 1 bdrm, or under $950 with roommates.

many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 09:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Welcome. Actually Chicago doesn't really get lake effect snow too often, but regardless it's good you enjoy winter

Based on your description, I think you may enjoy areas like Ukrainian Village/East Ukrainian Village or Wicker Park area. Ukrainian Village is more family feeling but also "young" too, but not crazy. Pretty relaxed vibe. Wicker Park used to be a hipster area and has gentrified, but also kept some of its old touches here and there. You may enjoy parts of Logan Square or Bucktown too nearby too. However, I think that most of Bucktown and Wicker Park will be out of your range if you want to live alone. If you are willing to put up with a few roommates, you may be able to find stuff in those neighborhoods too. Ukrainian Village/East Ukrainian Village/Wicker Park all belong to "West Town" by the way. You may see that if you're interested in the area and looking.

Here's a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSUOFEJRSbs

Hyde Park is reasonable but you may find it too suburban. It's not as bad as Oak Park on that front, but the amount of business there is lacking compared to other areas. I think you'd enjoy the ones above more to be honest with you.

I think your commute times of 2pm and 8pm bode well and in those areas at those times, you'll be within your commute range. Another thing to think about too is if your job doesn't rely on you actually driving, there are also commuter trains that go to the suburbs called Metra. If the places you're going are nearby or have some sort of pickup from there then that's another possibility and can change things too.

I also think you'd enjoy some northern neighborhoods like a Lakeview East, Lincoln Square, or Roscoe Village, but it may be out of your commute range MAYBE. In clear traffic, you might be able to make those in under 60 minutes, but I think the other areas are a bit more strategic.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 6,621 times
Yay. Great response- thank you !

Old 04-06-2015, 07:10 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
I think you're the first reverse commuter on here that I'd so go for it to. Your times will keep you out of really bad traffic, the 2pm trip could be a struggle on some days but you should be in the clear coming home.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:36 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
I think getting from Hyde Park to Naperville in your time frame, even outside of normal commute hours, would be a challenge. Personally, I think you should consider looking along Taylor Street aka "Little Italy," basically the area bounded by Morgan, Ashland, I-290 (the Ike), and a block or so south of Taylor. It's not a huge area to focus on, but it has most of what you want and would yield tolerable commutes.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I think you're the first reverse commuter on here that I'd so go for it to. Your times will keep you out of really bad traffic, the 2pm trip could be a struggle on some days but you should be in the clear coming home.
Yeah, except those nights when there's a Hawks or Bulls home game. A Sox or Cubs night game doesn't help either.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:57 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, except those nights when there's a Hawks or Bulls home game. A Sox or Cubs night game doesn't help either.
Leaving the Western Burbs at 8pm should be timed perfectly enough to miss the people both arriving at and leaving from 99% of sporting events in Chicago.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:55 PM

62 posts, read 122,274 times
I moved from New York to Chicago. The winters aren't much different in reality. I think the avg. temp is like 2 degrees apart with Chicago being a little cooler in winter and warmer in summer. Chicago weather can change faster and the super lows of the winter are a bit more extreme, that being said Chicago summers are definitely nicer and way way less smelly/dirty.

At the hours you are traveling via car, you could essentially focus on any neighborhood you want that is close to a highway or Lake Shore Drive. If I were you and trying to meet your above criteria of low rent payments, walkable nice neighborhood, and great access to highway I would strongly recommend Wicker Park and then Ukrainian village...or anywhere near the Damen and Division subway stops on the Blue line(there are a bunch of micro hoods that I'm not going to get into near there as well. Both Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village are right off of 90/94 which connect easily to 290 (your gateway to the west burbs) or 55(south west burbs). However, if 90/94 or the circle interchange (highway that connects all highways downtownish) is jammed for whatever reason, you can travel quickly straight south on city streets to pick up 290 and continue your journey west. Parking will be relatively easy if you get a permit for street parking, but will sometimes be a pain. Not Manhattan pain, but Brooklyn pain like sometimes parking a few blocks down the street or circling just a little. Plus you will be near subway stops, good bus routes, walkable streets full of shops, people, restaurants, bars, galleries, nightlife, dating pool, and relatively easy access to other parts of Chicago.

Honorable neighborhood mention goes to Pilsen and Logan Square (two hipster/Mexican hoods) and West Loop. Also, if you didn't mind more traffic and can manage to find an apt. at your price range, many northside hoods like Lakeview and Lincoln Park would meet your criteria, plus they are near the Lakeshore which in my opinion is a really really great asset to have. Of course you will be priced out of the nicest areas on the Northside next to the lakeshore. There are a handful of highrise doormen neighborhoods in Chicago as well, but they largely exceed your budget so they aren't even worth discussing.

Hyde Park is a really great neighborhood, great bookstores, interesting people, good food, but it is a bit like it's own university city/town/bubble. I really like Hyde Park, but I think it is better suited for couples, families, and intellectuals. It's like a much more intellectual, diverse, and interesting Oak Park in my opinion. It's north side equivalent would be Evanston.

"I know I sound like I am looking for New York in Chicago-- it's not that! I know they are two distinctly different places. And I am EXCITED!! to move to chicago... won't be complaining it's too cold or there are no good bagels and won't be starting sentences with "Well, in New York..." "

If you want a good or at least really decent "New York" bagel go to New York Bagel & Bialy Corp, they have two locations in very near (and largely Jewish) north suburbs to Chicago, this is oneNew York Bagel & Bialy Corp - Bakeries - Lincolnwood, IL - Yelp. If you want a good Jewish deli/bakery (same neighborhood/suburb roughly as good bagels) go to Kaufman's Kaufman. That being said Chicago has other great delis, typically Italian, and really really great food overall.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 PM

30 posts, read 64,867 times
Maveoh, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of job did you get? I'm looking to move to CHI asap, and I've also lived in Brooklyn all my life basically.. All I need is to get a decent job and I'll take it from there. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSaibot View Post
Maveoh, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of job did you get? I'm looking to move to CHI asap, and I've also lived in Brooklyn all my life basically.. All I need is to get a decent job and I'll take it from there. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.
What kind of work are you looking to get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago