Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:58 PM

16 posts, read 14,650 times

Advertisements

I think we can agree that June of last year is nothing compared to this May. May (no pun intended) go down as the coldest in history.

46 degree high in the middle of the month. That's insane. Barely any 70+ highs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 03:21 PM

605 posts, read 711,667 times
Yay for global warming!!!

Old 05-14-2016, 06:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAffinity View Post
I think we can agree that June of last year is nothing compared to this May. May (no pun intended) go down as the coldest in history.

46 degree high in the middle of the month. That's insane. Barely any 70+ highs.
I love how everyone in Chicago has amnesia and likes to complain about stuff, even though 4 of the last 9 days were at least 70 degrees with another 2 at 69 degrees. Today, no doubt pretty cold (right now though is better than it was around noon though weirdly enough). We aren't even half way through the month though and you are already writing this May off as the coldest? The fact is that, actually, of the 14 days this month, 6 were at or above the historical average for Chicago (aka over half). Last Friday was recorded at over 80 degrees.

Literally half of the days so far this month (7) were at or above historical average, so no, it's probably not going to go down as "the coldest May" just because you have amnesia and can't remember that half of the days in the last 9 were at or above 70 degrees for high temperatures.

Chicago May Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608

Old 05-14-2016, 07:18 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I love how everyone in Chicago has amnesia and likes to complain about stuff, even though 4 of the last 9 days were at least 70 degrees with another 2 at 69 degrees. Today, no doubt pretty cold (right now though is better than it was around noon though weirdly enough). We aren't even half way through the month though and you are already writing this May off as the coldest? The fact is that, actually, of the 14 days this month, 6 were at or above the historical average for Chicago (aka over half). Last Friday was recorded at over 80 degrees.

Literally half of the days so far this month (7) were at or above historical average, so no, it's probably not going to go down as "the coldest May" just because you have amnesia and can't remember that half of the days in the last 9 were at or above 70 degrees for high temperatures.

Chicago May Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608
This is not typical may weather. I've been living here 30 years and this is one of the worst Mays I have experienced, so don't pretend this is normal. Also it's very telling to what summer we might be getting. It's looking like next week we aren't even going to hit 65! We will be 3/4 done with May by end of next week....

Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
I gotta admit, it has felt pretty chilly.
Yes we've had many sunny warm days. But the cold snaps keep returning.

I don't mind the cold like some people, but still. It's odd.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I gotta admit, it has felt pretty chilly.
Yes we've had many sunny warm days. But the cold snaps keep returning.

I don't mind the cold like some people, but still. It's odd.
Not only that but the cold, overcast and rainy combo. I have been through some mays that have been cool but not as wet and pretty sunny. But this cold, rainy and overcast weather is atypical of May and has been a tough pill to swallow. I can accept this weather for April, but for May it should be signicantly sunnier, warmer and drier.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
It's a lot like June last year, so we get it over with a month earlier. At least that's what I keep saying...

Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
This is not typical may weather. I've been living here 30 years and this is one of the worst Mays I have experienced, so don't pretend this is normal. Also it's very telling to what summer we might be getting. It's looking like next week we aren't even going to hit 65! We will be 3/4 done with May by end of next week....
The last 1.5 weeks of the month, except one day, so far is expected to be no less than 70 degrees. Out of all the mays I've been here, this has felt fairly normal - except a few (like 2012 when it was pretty hot). The point is that it's silly to say "this is going to be the coldest may ever!" not even half way through it. Nobody who keeps the record books gives a damn that you or I *think* it felt chilly a few days. They go by the numbers, and the numbers say that 7 of the 14 days this May have been at or above the historical average. Anecdotes don't count for the record books.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The last 1.5 weeks of the month, except one day, so far is expected to be no less than 70 degrees. Out of all the mays I've been here, this has felt fairly normal - except a few (like 2012 when it was pretty hot). The point is that it's silly to say "this is going to be the coldest may ever!" not even half way through it. Nobody who keeps the record books gives a damn that you or I *think* it felt chilly a few days. They go by the numbers, and the numbers say that 7 of the 14 days this May have been at or above the historical average. Anecdotes don't count for the record books.
It feels normal to you, isn't that being anecdotal on your end too?! Because if 50% of May so far has been below average, technically you are then wrong saying this is normal based on your stats because 50% of May so far has been below average. If you told me 11 out of the 14 days have been at or above average then you have a case. But if 50% is below average you can't say it's been a normal May then. It's then also wrong on the other end to say it's the coldest, I'm not agreeing with that poster either, and I never said it's the coldest.

I am saying its a crappy May, colder, rainy and more overcast than usual, which in my 30 years here this is the coldest, rainiest and most overcast may I have experienced thuis far. Please note I say rainy and overcast in combination with coldest, not just coldest. Which is a valid observation seeing as 50% of May has been below average so far.....

Old 05-15-2016, 07:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
We ALWAYS have had plenty of awful May weather. I'm in my 50s and I have a cousin whose birthday is around Memorial Day. I remember lots of birthdays in the late 1960s and '70's where we spent most of the time in their garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago