Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 08:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,826,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
project into the future is the blood sport on C/D, along with ranking our cities in a neat, simple, and unquestionable list. but,of course, our projections are often very short sighted. and sometimes they miss the obvious.

like houston. and climate. and climate change. so project yourself some 30 years and ask yourself honestly will Houston really be bigger? or even the same? i realize for many out there, climate change is as phony as the notion that Barrack Obama was born in the good old USA. but others of us, those in the reality based community, climate change is real and Hawaii is not Kenya and is the US.

and some of us are pretty well convinced that "climate change" is not something "out there" in the future. it is here. it is now. it is becoming more and more evident. and its growth in change not only happens in real time but seems to be happening at an alarming, almost breathtaking rate, far, far removed from even those of us who buy into the notion believe could happen.

so in real time, 30 years is a far longer stretch than it once was. and i would hate to think what type of hell-on-earth Houston may very well be in 2045, but i'm fairly sure that it wouldn't fall into my standards of what is "livable".

I hate to throw in climate change because it a monkey wrench and flies in the face of the very notion of endless supply for endless demand and endless growth that is life force of C/D.
The effects of climate change are hard to predict. We can say, "Wow Florida is screwed, glad we're in Chicago", but I have a feeling it will be very difficult for us too. In fact, there could be such social upheaval that large urban areas become terrifying places for everyone. We just don't know what the effects will be at this point in time.

I do think it's wise to stay by a large body of fresh water. Low-lying coastal cities are also problematic. Beyond this, it's really difficult to see how we will be affected. Will there be mass migrations of people? Social upheaval? Severe storms on a regular basis causing damage and knocking out essential services? I don't feel good or smug about my living choices anywhere yet... Only time will tell. This is a global problem, and no one will be immune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:10 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,936,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The effects of climate change are hard to predict. We can say, "Wow Florida is screwed, glad we're in Chicago", but I have a feeling it will be very difficult for us too. In fact, there could be such social upheaval that large urban areas become terrifying places for everyone. We just don't know what the effects will be at this point in time.

I do think it's wise to stay by a large body of fresh water. Low-lying coastal cities are also problematic. Beyond this, it's really difficult to see how we will be affected. Will there be mass migrations of people? Social upheaval? Severe storms on a regular basis causing damage and knocking out essential services? I don't feel good or smug about my living choices anywhere yet... Only time will tell. This is a global problem, and no one will be immune.
I've got a hunch that you might be better off in Chicago than say, NYC or Boston, or LA/SF, but severe weather is pretty impossible to predict. Might have better luck with long-term weather patterns..

Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 PM

29,555 posts, read 19,666,897 times
Census estimates city to have lost 20,000 in 2016.

Chicago sees population drop for 2nd year in a row | WGN-TV

Old 03-24-2017, 01:37 AM

79 posts, read 95,796 times
Story is a bit misleading. The 20,000 number refers to the whole metropolitan region, not just Chicago city limits. I believe the last city number from 2016 showed a really small increase (somewhere in the neighborhood of like 500). But in any case, not great growth and as a region, decline.

Lots of reasons for this I'm sure, but I'd say it's a mix of violence on the S & W sides as well as the state's budget crisis.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:14 AM

1,022 posts, read 776,786 times
Let Houston pass us who cares. The less people here the better. More people means more problems. The last thing I want is for Chicago to be like LA and New York City! Those places are bad because they have too many people. besides Chicago was just ranked 7th as most visited city by tourists. I did not even see Houston on that list. So that shows people do not care about population. They want to visit a city that has a lot to offer

Old 03-24-2017, 07:22 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,176,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Let Houston pass us who cares. The less people here the better. More people means more problems. The last thing I want is for Chicago to be like LA and New York City! Those places are bad because they have too many people. besides Chicago was just ranked 7th as most visited city by tourists. I did not even see Houston on that list. So that shows people do not care about population. They want to visit a city that has a lot to offer
Houston may or may not pass Chicago as a city, not a metro area. There's still a sizable difference there.

Chicago's population growth (or lack thereof) is pretty wonky. Much of the north side and a growing number of west side neighborhoods are more desirable now than they've ever been. People are buying SFHs in Wicker Park for over $1,000,000. That wasn't happening ten or fifteen years ago.

Then there are the far west and south sides which are seeing a resurgence in violence due to the fracturing of the local gangs. Violence, coupled with few employment prospects, cause an exodus of blacks who end up leaving the region all together.

As described here before, Chicago is a tale of two or maybe even three cities. There's the flourishing white collar Chicago which encompasses much of the north side and growing number of west side neighborhoods, the stable working class or affluent enclaves of the bungalow belt, south side lakefront, and fringe neighborhoods, and then the war zones of the south and west sides that grab the national media's attention and paint Chicago as essentially an inhabited gun range.

Lot to fix. Some within the controls of City Hall, some not. The manufacturing type jobs are not coming back to Chicago. At least not in the capacity that people romanticize them. They will continue to make their way south and then out of the country...or be automated. There are going to be some serious shifts to our economy in the next decade or so. I would expect that places down south are nearing their peaks and will soon begin to see their low-skill service jobs eliminated. That very much includes Houston's energy sector.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 AM

796 posts, read 933,914 times
Quote:
houston has 667 sq miles of land. it should have a larger population than chicago. thats' a ridiculous amount of sprawl. texas is so spread out its ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times
Quote:
Houston is a city for business, not a tourist destination at all. It is very spread out and more like a city than a suburb.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,936,213 times
I'm willing to bet that many of Chicago's losses are simply to a neighboring suburb, and well within the metro's boundaries. A core city's population isn't all that significant in the greater context..

Old 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,252,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Houston is a city for business, not a tourist destination at all. It is very spread out and more like a city than a suburb.
Where does this look like it is? To you.. same blocks.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8003...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8008...7i13312!8i6656

Just one thing missing? Guess hint... they are blue and black.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8008...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8056...7i13312!8i6656

I'd think the next is somewhere by me in the Northeast . Below one
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7986...7i13312!8i6656

Just some irony LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago