Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times

Advertisements

I just bought a home in Beverly and work in Hyde Park. Though it's tedious I like to take the redline from Dan Ryan/95th to Garfield and then the 55 to Hyde Park. Others have told me this isn't safe. It's certainly not pretty but am I really putting myself in any danger? From what I can tell nobody is paying any attention to me, and there are quite a few people around even late at night that at least don't give me the feeling of isolation (that I often have e.g. walking around Hyde park). Is there a better way on public transport to be getting to Hyde Park? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 10:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
If there's a .2% chance of something happening to you in a given year in Beverly versus, say, a 1% chance of something happening to you in Roseland (where the 95th/Ryan station is), that's five times the risk. But it's still only 1%.

But to me the more important question is why go through all of that when you could hop on the Metra Electric at 95th or 103rd and take it directly to Hyde Park? I bet that would cut your commute time in half.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks. I think I can deal with those odds. People who live in suburbs seems to think it's more like 50% chance in Beverly and 99% on Red Line. Don't know where these exaggerated perceptions come from. Beverly in particular feels extremely safe to me.

I didn't realize 95th Red Line wasn't in Washington Heights. Now that I look at city map I see you are correct. One does really notice a major improvement in crossing into Washington Heights when traveling east to west along 95th st.

I'll give your suggestion a try, though I'm interested in landing on the west side of Hyde Park and would have to take a 15 minute (albeit it very nice) walk from metra station. Metra Electric also runs very far east I believe (like cottage grove). I'll have to see how to best get over there from Beverly. Public transit is extremely disappointing on south side. I could drive in about 18 minutes, might succumb to temptation soon.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Well, Cottage Grove is the western border of Hyde Park. If you're thinking Cottage Grove is way east, I'm not sure your destination is actually in Hyde Park. At this point I have to confess I'm a bit confused about where you're trying to get to. Because if your destination is west of Cottage Grove, then yeah, the Red Line strikes me as the better option.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:52 PM

I meant that the Metra Electric stops at 95 and 103rd are quite a bit east of the Dan Ryan Red Line Stop -- I believe near Cottage Grove, and thus the bus ride from Beverly would but quite a bit farther and perhaps even require a transfer (not sure, never did it).

Furthermore, the Metra drops you off in the east part of hyde park (near stony island), and my office is on the west side (ellis). Thus, it isn't clear overall that it would save me time. It is a nice suggestion though and I will try it.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:27 AM

863 posts, read 2,786,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I meant that the Metra Electric stops at 95 and 103rd are quite a bit east of the Dan Ryan Red Line Stop -- I believe near Cottage Grove, and thus the bus ride from Beverly would but quite a bit farther and perhaps even require a transfer (not sure, never did it).

Furthermore, the Metra drops you off in the east part of hyde park (near stony island), and my office is on the west side (ellis). Thus, it isn't clear overall that it would save me time. It is a nice suggestion though and I will try it.
You're correct. From Beverly, you would have to transfer at the 95th St. station to get to the Metra Station on 95th and Cottage. When you get to Hyde Park, you would have about a mile to walk from the Metra Station to get to Ellis. If safety is more of a concern than transit time, Metra would probably be your best bet.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Wow, can't imagine walking two blocks, taking two busses, then a train, then walking a mile all to go about 9 total miles. Transportation options in chicago are disappointing for such a great city.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Transportation options in Chicago are disappointing for such a great city.
... On much of the South side yes.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 AM

863 posts, read 2,786,159 times
Actually, it's not that bad. The CTA buses on the south side are set up almost exactly like the north side. There's a bus for just about every major N/S street (e.g. Ashland, King Drive, Halsted, Stony, Jeffrey) and E/W street (e.g. 63rd, 71st, 75th, 87th, 95th). The OP just happens to have an unusual route.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Unusual may be more the norm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Actually, it's not that bad. The CTA buses on the south side are set up almost exactly like the north side. There's a bus for just about every major N/S street (e.g. Ashland, King Drive, Halsted, Stony, Jeffrey) and E/W street (e.g. 63rd, 71st, 75th, 87th, 95th). The OP just happens to have an unusual route.
The City of Chicago and many other suburbs have been on a crazy kick to increase retail sales to capture more sales tax revenues. One of the things they do toward this end is encourage more development of retailing. Retailers are responding and opening up more diverse options in areas that may have been undeserved. Because of that there are now more people that DO want to get between places that are not right on the traditional commuting paths. On the one hand buses are easier to redirect to these shifts in commuting, BUT the CTA is still pitifully understaffed and the density of these development efforts is NOT enough to justify adding more lines.

The reponse has to be carefully weighed or else people will move to cars OR give up trying to get the shopping that is a bit off the beaten path...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago