Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:22 PM

636 posts, read 611,906 times

Advertisements

I left a few weeks ago and regretted it immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 12:23 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
I left a few weeks ago and regretted it immediately.
Why is that?

Old 12-18-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Why is that?
Several reasons, but mainly:

1. It was a decision based on what I thought was best for my "career," even though up to this point I've pretty much been the opposite of a careerist and
2. After living in Chicago, the DC area does almost nothing for me.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:13 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Most likely back to SoCal though there's a possibility it could be DC. It's a good opportunity for advancement, otherwise I'd just stay here. But I'd like to make it back to either KC or Chicago eventually.

If you really like Latin American culture, then Miami does sound like a good fit. You should do it, especially if you haven't experienced living somewhere outside of Chicago. And yes, you're right that Chicago will always be there in case you want to move back.

I don't think though that there is a mass exodus from Chicago, at least more so than there has been. If there was, the central core wouldn't be booming as much as it is. There are so many new projects in the pipeline right now. I wish the politics could be cleaned up a bit, and I'm somewhat disappointed in Rahm after this latest fiasco. But I don't think Chicago is going the way of the dodo at all.
I check realtor.com frequently. In my searches, I'm saddened how many homes in Chicagoland are listed as "short sale" or auction. The towns I've searched have been Westchester, Lombard, and nearby suburbs. I don't see that many short sales in Wheaton or Naperville, however.

The number of "short sale" listings doesn't give me confidence in investing in those areas. I think the number one reason people are fed-up with Chicagoland is the high property taxes and the IL state government mismanagement. Climate may factor in, but not to the degree of taxes IMO.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 PM

316 posts, read 654,889 times
Quote:

1. It was a decision based on what I thought was best for my "career," even though up to this point I've pretty much been the opposite of a careerist and

Is it too late to return to Chicago? I am moving from Atlanta to Chicago next summer and I am very well traveled in the U.S. People say bad things about Chicago out all of the time, but they end up finding out that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Other cities have their issues as well.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:15 PM

35 posts, read 33,692 times
Quote:

You must have certainly jumped the gun making your user name then...

Two weeks and already throwing in the towel? There is so much more history, culture, and culinary variety in DC to experience. If I were wanting worse traffic and cost of living (but potential for much higher earnings) than Chicago, I would move to DC in a heartbeat. Give it some time, buddy. It's such a clean and active city.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter1225 View Post
You must have certainly jumped the gun making your user name then...

Two weeks and already throwing in the towel? There is so much more history, culture, and culinary variety in DC to experience. If I were wanting worse traffic and cost of living (but potential for much higher earnings) than Chicago, I would move to DC in a heartbeat. Give it some time, buddy. It's such a clean and active city.
I grew up in Richmond and lived in the DC area once already so I know exactly what this place is about. The history here largely isn't specific to DC itself, the actual local culture is very insular and limited (I'm sure you've been to many go-gos), and the food is terribly overrated compared to Chi or NY. And yes, even though my earnings potential is higher here I wasn't struggling in Chicago by any means.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I check realtor.com frequently. In my searches, I'm saddened how many homes in Chicagoland are listed as "short sale" or auction. The towns I've searched have been Westchester, Lombard, and nearby suburbs. I don't see that many short sales in Wheaton or Naperville, however.

The number of "short sale" listings doesn't give me confidence in investing in those areas. I think the number one reason people are fed-up with Chicagoland is the high property taxes and the IL state government mismanagement. Climate may factor in, but not to the degree of taxes IMO.
No disagreement here. I don't know if the politicians fail to see the big picture or what, but you just can't have sky high property taxes when you have to compete with other cities. For the upper class the taxes don't matter but for the normal suburbs catering to the middle class, it is a big deal. There needs to be some serious tax reform and soon because it is really an untenable situation.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:02 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
ok this is a lot of bs about how bad Phoenix is COMPARED TO CHICAGO! I have visited both places and while I'm not inclined to think very well of Phoenix, let's look at the underbelly of Chicago:
1. High Violent crime rate;
2. High cost of living - taxes, fuel, housing - sales taxes have increased several times the past ten years and state income increase was so hated, the CEO of Caterpillar wrote an open letter to the Illinois Governor to express his disgust!
3. BAD winters, compared to BAD summer in Phoenix and BAD humidity in Miami;
4. stagnant population growth in Chicago and, in general Illinois;
5. Segregation is high in Chicago. I was there last year, had a Romanian girl as a Taxi driver, who also lived in Alabama. SHE herself noticed how segregated the city remains, which speaks to a bad dynamic of living in Chicago.
6. Political corruption..the term vote early, vote often ..that's Chicago.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:03 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
ok this is a lot of bs about how bad Phoenix is COMPARED TO CHICAGO! I have visited both places and while I'm not inclined to think very well of Phoenix, let's look at the underbelly of Chicago:
1. High Violent crime rate;
2. High cost of living - taxes, fuel, housing - sales taxes have increased several times the past ten years and state income increase was so hated, the CEO of Caterpillar wrote an open letter to the Illinois Governor to express his disgust!
3. BAD winters, compared to BAD summer in Phoenix and BAD humidity in Miami;
4. stagnant population growth in Chicago and, in general Illinois;
5. Segregation is high in Chicago. I was there last year, had a Romanian girl as a Taxi driver, who also lived in Alabama. SHE herself noticed how segregated the city remains, which speaks to a bad dynamic of living in Chicago.
6. Political corruption..the term vote early, vote often ..that's Chicago.
While I wouldn't disagree with your bullet points (no pun intended! ), here's my take.

You can insert any city of your choice such as Phoenix (or Atlanta in my case) and you will end up missing Chicago. Not for the negatives you mentioned, but all the positives that make Chicago one of the greatest cities on Earth. I currently live in the Atlanta suburbs and never go to the city because there's nothing there that even remotely compares to Chicago. The only thing keeping us from coming back is the Illinois/Chicago financial situation and the weather.

Chicago has so much to offer and I miss it badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago