Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:26 PM

235 posts, read 287,853 times

Advertisements

The Mayor has already said he wants an additional tax increase of at least $200 million to fund teacher pensions. He said so directly on WTTW a couple of months ago, and Forrest has said so as well.
Emanuel vows to raise property taxes for teacher pensions, even before state help | Chicago Sun-Times
WTTW, forward to 6:04. Mayor Emanuel on Springfield Gridlock, CPS, Police Reform | Chicago Tonight | WTTW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 12:36 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
How's the protes...er...march going? I'm sure all these teachers, who were drawn to the profession because they wanted to work with children and 'teach', feel good about themselves.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:40 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Rahm will need to 1. Raise property taxes further 2. Push for a city income tax and 3. Raise the sales tax. At the very least the city needs 2 out of 3. If they can't get the legislature to implement a city income tax, then property/sales taxes are the way to go.

There's going to be a ton of pain coming down the line. The city can't escape its pension obligations. There's no way out of this, short of bankruptcy.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
No but the people and businesses can escape the pension obligations by leaving the state which is what many will end up doing. Noone is going to tolerate the insane tax increases necessary to sustain public union salaries and benefits at the current level and rising trajectory.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:05 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Rahm will need to 1. Raise property taxes further 2. Push for a city income tax and 3. Raise the sales tax. At the very least the city needs 2 out of 3. If they can't get the legislature to implement a city income tax, then property/sales taxes are the way to go.

There's going to be a ton of pain coming down the line. The city can't escape its pension obligations. There's no way out of this, short of bankruptcy.
Bankruptcy is the only way out at this point. Probably just around the corner in all honesty. Debt is so large that the city can't even afford the interest payments, let alone chip away the principal. I'm okay with bankruptcy as it's really the only way to solve the issue.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:01 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Bankruptcy is the only way out at this point. Probably just around the corner in all honesty. Debt is so large that the city can't even afford the interest payments, let alone chip away the principal. I'm okay with bankruptcy as it's really the only way to solve the issue.
Although it's federal law that allows municipalities to go bankrupt, it was left up to the states how to implement Chapter 9. Current Illinois law does not allow for Chicago to petition the state for bankruptcy. Legislation would have to be passed by the General Assembly, and then approved by the governor, allowing the city to do so, or else Chicago has no legal ability to declare bankruptcy.

At this point in time, you're far more likely to see CPS taken over by the state and put through bankruptcy.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:56 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Hey does anyone know this - now this morning i distinctly heard them say that if you cross the picket line, you get kicked ou of the union. that sounds great! they wont have to be forced to pay the union dues. What disadvantage or advantage is there to be kicked out? can you work in chicago schools without being a union member?

Old 04-01-2016, 07:00 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Although it's federal law that allows municipalities to go bankrupt, it was left up to the states how to implement Chapter 9. Current Illinois law does not allow for Chicago to petition the state for bankruptcy. Legislation would have to be passed by the General Assembly, and then approved by the governor, allowing the city to do so, or else Chicago has no legal ability to declare bankruptcy.

At this point in time, you're far more likely to see CPS taken over by the state and put through bankruptcy.
I'm thinking August is the latest we see the CPS in the initial stages of bankruptcy. We'll see...

Old 04-01-2016, 08:27 PM

846 posts, read 1,401,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The CTU needs to understand that the days of cushy pensions and benefits need to come to an end. Most private sector workers aren't entitled to half the benefits public employees are. What about public service is so demanding that people are entitled to astronomical pensions for their years of service? I agree everyone deserves a livable and fair wage, but when you're in a district with declining enrollment and state with serious financial issues, you have to make the cuts. We don't have a bottomless pit of money at our disposal and it's time that the public servants stopped treating the taxpayers as such.
Let me preface this comment by stating I am not a teacher, not affiliated with CTU/CPS in any way. I am commenting because of the frustrations I am feeling as a social worker. I am a social worker, in a local government (not Chicago), and make approx $45k annually, with a pension. I took the job and stay in the job because of the pension. But we do not have the capacity to strike nor are attached to a union.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:09 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
so glad i got out of downtown before the protestors went by. i would have gotten stuck in whatever traffic problems they caused. im also glad i dont live in the south loop when it becomes a cluster**** of a mob like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago