Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 AM

451 posts, read 465,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Many in the northern suburbs use MKE. Probably some in the City of Chicago as well. I think parking for several days is cheaper. I hear there is a flight to LA that starts there, stops at ORD, but the fare from ORD is hundreds more.
And, of course, many go for Summerfest.

Parking is cheaper at MKE, but flights are often more expensive, at least for the places I want to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 07:51 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
From Mchenry Co. I fly out of MKE when the price is right, which occurs more often now with SWA. Quick and easy! In the early 80's there was a push for development along 94 to make a mega plex but for a number of reasons it never took off. 2008 -09 really killed it!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:30 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
Not a thing, not at all.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:02 AM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
Historically, Chicago was a suburb of Milwaukee. The reason why Chicago ended up growing to it's size was because of the railroad.

Between the two, they are very different cities. A lot of my friends like to bring up how Chicago has better restaurants and bars, but in reality, there are just more of them to choose from...and they are more expensive.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
A lot of my friends like to bring up how Chicago has better restaurants and bars, but in reality, there are just more of them to choose from...and they are more expensive.
There are better restaurants in Chicago than there are in Milwaukee and it isn't even close.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Milwaukee restaurants specialize in large portions. I remember barely being able to waddle out of Maders..

Old 06-29-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Milwaukee restaurants specialize in large portions. I remember barely being able to waddle out of Maders..
The majority of new places that have opened up in the last 2 years are small plate...which for me, I cannot stand. Milwaukee has been getting a lot Chefs from Chicago who broke off to do their own thing because it's cheaper to open a place there. I have also noticed that there are a lot of people from Illinois who come up to Milwaukee on the weekends for the food and bars...something I have never really noticed in the past. Even if it will never compare, there is a pretty significant influence from Chicago, and it's really transforming the food scene.

Just based on numbers, Milwaukee will never be able to compete, but as people keep fleeing Chicago in droves, and Milwaukee continues to grow, get ready for a great resurgence of the food/drink scene over the next few years. It's currently a better enviroment for emerging culinary artists because of the significantly lower cost.

Last edited by MN_Ski; 06-29-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
There are better restaurants in Chicago than there are in Milwaukee and it isn't even close.

Chicago has more restaurants by virtue of it's size, particularly ones of ethnic cuisine, but Milwaukee is no slouch, particularly on the East Side and downtown, it has some of the coolest places I've been to in the country.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
Chicago has more restaurants by virtue of it's size, particularly ones of ethnic cuisine, but Milwaukee is no slouch, particularly on the East Side and downtown, it has some of the coolest places I've been to in the country.
It's all subjective really.

The problem I have with Chicago is that it is so large, you generally stick to the places in your neighborhood. So even though the city might have XXX,XXX places, only a certain amount are accessible/desirable. In Milwaukee, every restaurant is accessible so you end up having more desirable places to choose from.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
It's all subjective really.

The problem I have with Chicago is that it is so large, you generally stick to the places in your neighborhood. So even though the city might have XXX,XXX places, only a certain amount are accessible/desirable. In Milwaukee, every restaurant is accessible so you end up having more desirable places to choose from.

Indeed scale is a subtle advantage that a smaller metro has. After having lived in/experienced Los Angeles, Chicago proper isn't really all that big to me, yet many residents make a big deal out of going more than 10 min out of their neighborhood and the suburbs may as well be a foreign country. I like the restaurants/bars on the west side of Chicago proper, and suburbs like Highwood and Evanston. Most of Milwaukee's attractive places are concentrated on the trendy east side, and a few other spots sprinkled throughout the city. Milwaukee suburbs are getting denser, but are still pretty lacking in original restaurants. Many Chicago suburbs have more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago