Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 10:27 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Plus, there's a matter of necessity. 75% of the ads for multi-units in the areas I referenced say something like "rents could be higher!" Given the amount of money they're selling for now, they absolutely have to be higher, unless you want to play Santa Claus year round and lose a lot of money.
This is true in every neighborhood...and actually moreso in the nicer hoods. Asset prices due to low interest rates have outpaced rents. It's gotten to the point where I hardly even look at properties in say a Logan Square cause you can't get cash-on-cash returns worth the headache of being a landlord. I'd rather click "Buy" on a index fund for higher returns and relax. Brokers will say "appreciation!" but only cash is guaranteed.

I disagree with you on some neighborhoods and prices. Certain pockets and price points within those hoods are a no brainer for investment and I'll continue to invest.

I do agree with you that the demographics will take longer to turn over than people realize. Hipsters are not going to be biking around North Lawndale (for example) for a long time. But there are good renters out there if you can invest in a smart way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 05:51 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
This is true in every neighborhood...and actually moreso in the nicer hoods. Asset prices due to low interest rates have outpaced rents. It's gotten to the point where I hardly even look at properties in say a Logan Square cause you can't get cash-on-cash returns worth the headache of being a landlord. I'd rather click "Buy" on a index fund for higher returns and relax. Brokers will say "appreciation!" but only cash is guaranteed.

I disagree with you on some neighborhoods and prices. Certain pockets and price points within those hoods are a no brainer for investment and I'll continue to invest.

I do agree with you that the demographics will take longer to turn over than people realize. Hipsters are not going to be biking around North Lawndale (for example) for a long time. But there are good renters out there if you can invest in a smart way.
Unless you're a appreciation gambler or just want to live there and offset your mortgage a little bit, neighborhoods like Logan Square, Pilsen, Humboldt Park and Bridgeport have definitely jumped the shark.

You can still make money in the lower-income neighborhoods but that is a very different tenant base than what I think a lot of these young investors are used to dealing with. Judging by the renovations and displacement I'm seeing, most of them are clearly trying to go in a different direction.

So we will see how all this shakes out. It seems for right now the stock market is definitely a good way to go LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago