Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago is more like...
Philly, NYC, and Boston 139 76.37%
Indianapolis, Columbus, and Kansas City 43 23.63%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 03:59 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,564,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Disagree with this. Chicago is undoubtably the most “east coast”- like city in the Midwest, much moreso than Cleveland. I have lived in Philly and am from the east coast. Granted, I am not too familiar with Cleveland, but downtown and the north side of Chicago resemble a major east coast city more than anywhere else in the Midwest. From the high rise apartments to the brownstones/greystones, to the way the L/ CTA hovers in the backdrop. Chicago reminds me a lot of Philly, both at the downtown and neighborhood level (especially the north side, but even the near west side too). Have only been to Cleveland once and didn’t get too far outside downtown, but it had a quintessentially Midwest feel, and driving there felt very rural Midwest near city limits. In no way does it feel more “east coast” than Chicago.
You disagree with it, but you know nothing about Cleveland. You should probably reserve comment, no?

Cleveland's 'Midwesterness' is more frequently questioned than just about any other city in the region. You can find many threads devoted to this debate.

Chicago is most similar to Toronto than any other city in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 04:20 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,758,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You disagree with it, but you know nothing about Cleveland. You should probably reserve comment, no?

Cleveland's 'Midwesterness' is more frequently questioned than just about any other city in the region. You can find many threads devoted to this debate.

Do you mean the downtown area?

Old 10-27-2018, 05:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
Quote:

Well Chicago might be more similar to Toronto than any other city is but I think many cities are more like Chicago than Toronto is. San Antonio for instance.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:18 AM

54 posts, read 33,560 times
I find Toronto to be a little bit like Chicago in that they are the two largest Great Lakes cities and the two that have best survived and thrived in the post-manufacturing era (rather than falling into "Rust Belt" decay).

I also find Toronto to be a little bit like New York, though, in that it's the largest city in its country (larger than Chicago now, in fact), and is extremely international/global. You'll meet plenty of people from plenty of other countries in Chicago, but it seems to me you meet a lot more (from a wider variety of places) in Toronto and New York.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:30 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,251,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhbyeRham View Post
I find Toronto to be a little bit like Chicago in that they are the two largest Great Lakes cities and the two that have best survived and thrived in the post-manufacturing era (rather than falling into "Rust Belt" decay).

I also find Toronto to be a little bit like New York, though, in that it's the largest city in its country (larger than Chicago now, in fact), and is extremely international/global. You'll meet plenty of people from plenty of other countries in Chicago, but it seems to me you meet a lot more (from a wider variety of places) in Toronto and New York.
Toronto clearly prides itself as more becoming a NYC type of city. It certainly doesn't took to Chicago to be similar to. Toronto gets by Canada's merit based immigration system. 10s if thousands of professional immigrants yearly. Little in totally uneducated ones or illegal immigration. High-rise living hugging Lake Michigan are what gives the cores ther similarities over types of neighborhoods or ethnic make-up. City proper Toronto did surpass Chicago. All Chicagoland no. But its fast steady growth has that possibly coming too. Zoning its city for High-rises to Mid-rises to Skyscrapers. Mean it steers its developments toward them criteria. It does preserve some neighborhoods for sure. But it zones for density send high-rise living in mass immigration needs. Over zoning if they might be allowed in that area. Toronto did not do the level of lakefront parkland and harbors as Chicago. But did create some islands and is doing more rebuilding its core frontage too. That it could look to Chicago for.

Toronto is far more like our Sunbelt cities in fast growth. But with much more regulating it to high-density living. Even the city itself was recreated from merging more then one to make a new city and borders called the Amalgamation instantly in the 1960s. Québec's Separation movement also steered much more to Toronto from Montréal formerly being Canada's première city toward Toronto into the 70s while US cities were experiencing ther worst declines. It had a steady boom period and even bubble that just keeps going with new immigration needs as much more highly skilled merit based.

Last edited by DavePa; 10-28-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:40 PM

Chicagoland has a larger population than GTA.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
Canadians are starting to show up down here; tight as bark and throwing nickels around like manhole covers they’ll soon clog every happy hour and all you can eat buffet in the Anglo parts of town.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Toronto clearly prides itself as more becoming a NYC type of city.
Well, as an objective outsider with no connection to either city (though I like visiting both), I'm saying there may be at least a bit of reality in support of their pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Toronto is far more like our Sunbelt cities in fast growth. But with much more regulating it to high-density living.
The above two sentences contradict each other from my perspective. It is in large part BECAUSE Toronto has a large, proper downtown on the waterfront (in addition to its diverse/global population and feel) that it is like a cross between Chicago and New York. Most US Sunbelt cities are pretty much the opposite of this.

(And yes, when I say Toronto has surpassed Chicago in population, I'm talking about actual Chicago, not "The Greater Metropolitan Chicagoland Cornfield and Stripmall Association of Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and possibly Iowa." This should go without saying. Chicago is Chicago. It isn't Wilmette or Libertyville or New Lenox or Crown Point.)

Old 10-29-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Chicagoland has a larger population than GTA.
"Chicagoland" isn't a real thing (at least not with any universally agreed upon boundaries) and I don't even know or care what GTA is. Even if I did, I'm not talking about those theoretical places. I'm referring to Chicago and Toronto. You know, the well-known cities, which have city limits like all cities.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhbyeRham View Post
"Chicagoland" isn't a real thing (at least not with any universally agreed upon boundaries) and I don't even know or care what GTA is. Even if I did, I'm not talking about those theoretical places. I'm referring to Chicago and Toronto. You know, the well-known cities, which have city limits like all cities.
Uh...Chicagoland is a CSA and an MSA. It's clearly defined. The CSA (Combined Statistical Area) is population 9.9 million, and the MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) is population 9.5 million. These are official geographic boundaries used by the OMB and the Census Bureau for statistical data. GTA = Greater Toronto Area. The Greater Toronto Area is population 6.4 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago