Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Chicago's Mayor seek Federal help in its gsngland murders as Trump suggested?
Yes 43 76.79%
No 13 23.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
And, of course, you're right. It's happening in just a handful of neighborhoods. Per my link above, in 2016:

Austin - 92 homicides, 445 wounded
Englewood - 85 Homicides, 356 wounded
Garfield Park - 57 homicides, 327 wounded
New City - 43 homicides, 137 wounded (they must have really good aim here)
North Lawndale - 34 homicides, 243 wounded
Grand Crossing - 33 homicides, 127 wounded
Roseland - 32 homicides, 147 wounded
Auburn Gresham - 31 homicides, 140 wounded

We have 77 community areas. These 8 accounted for 407 of the 2016 homicides, which is more than 50% of the total.
Even if you take out these 8 communities of despair, Chicago would still have more homicides than NYC or LA.

The notion that homicide is clustered in a few hoods is beyond exaggerated.

Oakland FEELS safer, and it is reflected in declining homicides. Chicago does not. I visited relatives in MG and Bridgeport last summer. Even going to a Sox game
felt sketch at night. Fifteen years ago me and my cousin would walk after night games, as white teenagers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 PM

672 posts, read 758,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Oakland FEELS safer, and it is reflected in declining homicides. Chicago does not. I visited relatives in MG and Bridgeport last summer. Even going to a Sox game
felt sketch at night.
Feels safer than what? Are you talking about Oakland, CA?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 AM

1,080 posts, read 839,073 times
You would think Trump would have his hands full addressing his cluelessness about how to run the White House without also overextending himself to expose his cluelessness about how to run Chicago. I guess he just couldn't pass up an easy opportunity to rally his uneducated, racist base.

I do find it entertaining how preoccupied some people are with hating on Chicago, and the amount of energy they exert expressing it. What the hell? If you don't like Chicago, don't live here. Live where you want to live, be happy, and move on with your life. It's really simple. I mean, I don't like rural Kentucky (to randomly pick one of many places I don't like), but I don't bother going to rural Kentucky forums on the internet and telling them how much they suck, or rallying around politicians who spew anti-rural-Kentucky rhetoric. I just choose to avoid it altogether. I live my life where I want and how I want, and I allow others to do the same. Why is this so hard for some?

Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
You would think Trump would have his hands full addressing his cluelessness about how to run the White House without also overextending himself to expose his cluelessness about how to run Chicago. I guess he just couldn't pass up an easy opportunity to rally his uneducated, racist base.

I do find it entertaining how preoccupied some people are with hating on Chicago, and the amount of energy they exert expressing it. What the hell? If you don't like Chicago, don't live here. Live where you want to live, be happy, and move on with your life. It's really simple. I mean, I don't like rural Kentucky (to randomly pick one of many places I don't like), but I don't bother going to rural Kentucky forums on the internet and telling them how much they suck, or rallying around politicians who spew anti-rural-Kentucky rhetoric. I just choose to avoid it altogether. I live my life where I want and how I want, and I allow others to do the same. Why is this so hard for some?

People have agendas and they feel the best outlet for pushing those agendas is behind the anonymity of whatever forum they can find on C-D/elsewhere. Keyboard warriors.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Even if you take out these 8 communities of despair, Chicago would still have more homicides than NYC or LA.

The notion that homicide is clustered in a few hoods is beyond exaggerated.

felt sketch at night. Fifteen years ago me and my cousin would walk after night games, as white teenagers!
Oakland is a freakin' disaster. It has, what, 400k people yet 88 homicides last year? Take our 8 areas of despair out and Chicago has a way lower homicide rate. Plus it's crime rate is like 1,700 per 100k, meaning you stand a very good chance of getting knocked on your ass or otherwise becoming the victim of a crime of some sort.

And don't know how you would feel so unsafe in Armour Square. The area around IIT east of the park has really cleaned up in the last 15 years, and Bridgeport to the west has gentrified.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:22 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,691 times
8 areas of despair? You could say that about any city, and they'd have dramatically lower homicide rates.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
8 areas of despair? You could say that about any city, and they'd have dramatically lower homicide rates.
That isn't what the post I responded to said.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Oakland is a freakin' disaster. It has, what, 400k people yet 88 homicides last year? Take our 8 areas of despair out and Chicago has a way lower homicide rate. Plus it's crime rate is like 1,700 per 100k, meaning you stand a very good chance of getting knocked on your ass or otherwise becoming the victim of a crime of some sort.

And don't know how you would feel so unsafe in Armour Square. The area around IIT east of the park has really cleaned up in the last 15 years, and Bridgeport to the west has gentrified.
Oakland had 88 homicides last year. Chicago would have to have roughly 600 murders to have a similar rate. But Chicago had nearly 800.

Chicago is clearly more dangerous. While Oakland is getting safer due to massive gentrification.

Nothing personal, but most of my relatives live on the south side and it feels way more like the early 1990's than the kate 2000's. The new generation of thugs are very scary.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Oakland had 88 homicides last year. Chicago would have to have roughly 600 murders to have a similar rate. But Chicago had nearly 800.

Chicago is clearly more dangerous. While Oakland is getting safer due to massive gentrification.

Nothing personal, but most of my relatives live on the south side and it feels way more like the early 1990's than the kate 2000's. The new generation of thugs are very scary.
If you stay out of the most dangerous neighborhoods it really isn't.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,117,141 times
Eh... Killings in bad neighborhoods are inevitable, because bad people / gangsters live there. They play to much GTA 5 and think life is being a thug. Plus their culture of Gangsta Rap / TRASH Hip hop music that endorses killing, womanizing, and drugs. I don't worry that bad elements kill each other, but when they kill an innocent person, - that sucks. Yeah, it's a lot of minority on minority crime in those areas.

I lived in Bridgeport summer 2015 and I loved that place. It's just that my landlord stank.

I lived in Wicker Park since 1976 when it was a "bad neighborhood." So I know what those neighborhoods are like. Lost my Wicker Park home to a contrived Trust where my brother essentially disinherited me of my House that my mom said I'd always inherit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago