Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:32 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post

Quite a few generalizations you've thrown together here. Attitudes like this are what makes people feel justified in being racist.
I know. I am just posting my own observations. I think in general Latino bangers are less afraid of Whites than Blacks in general. Your experiences might differ however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post

Quite a few generalizations you've thrown together here. Attitudes like this are what makes people feel justified in being racist.
PC culture has brainwashed us otherwise but stereotypes exist for a reason. And when you're getting down with the streets you will see certain patterns develop, and you will heed them or you'll get smashed down. I think that's all he's saying here.

I used to be very liberal too and at one time I would have been appalled over someone summarizing a culture like this also. But living in places like early Logan Square, early Uptown, and Berwyn sucked that out of me, LOL! I wouldn't say I'm right wing or anything but I am much more of a practical realist now.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 PM

All I am saying is tread carefully. Stop thinking that just because minorities are disadvantaged that you can walk through the hood with your head high and treat it like home. That is all that needs to be understood. Honestly I would rather someone be a bit passively racist when moving into the hood than be gullible and stupid. I am not White and I did not vote for Trump. It's one of those "if you had to choose between two bad options" scenarios. Obviously as a not very White male I would rather people choose to not be racist (especially since I love White women) but if it helps to save your wallet and personal well being to be more cautious around certain groups then I have no personal issue with it myself. Being actively racist is much different on the other hand.

It's called "don't be a bleeding heart". That doesn't help anyone when moving to the hood. No one saying go out and lynch people. What we are saying is some areas are less safe for Whites because of race. And heck, I may even agree that Whites could even be the cause of said sentiments but that doesn't help Amy from Indiana or Tim from Ohio navigate their new surroundings. Nobody is saying go out and lynch people ffs. It's more "hey! These people are rougher, tougher, and you probably won't be celebrated for moving in so be careful". That is it. Quit being so easily triggered.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Thanks. I am a liberal myself but I didn't really grow up like a sheltered White kid. I didn't grow up hood by any means but South Chicago is somewhat rough. And after a few bad incidents (none that were news worthy) I learned it is best to know your place in a bad area. The last thing you want to do in the hood is act overconfident or like you know the place or like it's even your own. You could grow up in the hood and a cocky attitude still gets you killed. Killers respect the hood because the hood kills the killers. But so many kids think that by virtue of living somewhere that they should have respect. No. The hood is one place where you learn quickly to pick your battles. Hint: it means pick none. Stupid hood kids get shot over the most trivial thing.

White kids should just come in to Chicago knowing to be seen but not heard. Also Latinos have a very different worldview from Blacks. Blacks can be very mistrusting of Whites but for the most part live with a fear of "don't catch a case over a White person because the justice system is stacked up against you". Latinos on the other hand do not live in fear of White people. To many of them Whites are easy targets and soft. Latino men especially look at White men as very beta male types.
Latino men tend to be very macho, boisterous and gruff, particularly Puerto Rican men. Then moving into their 'hood you have the quiet white first wave gentrifier, what with his skinny jeans, glasses, mustasche, fixed gear bike, and other appurtances of hipsterdom. Definitely presents a recipe for some hijinks. You could almost do a sitcom on it if you had a dark sense of humour!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:37 PM

306 posts, read 365,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
But living in places like early Logan Square, early Uptown, and Berwyn sucked that out of me, LOL! I wouldn't say I'm right wing or anything but I am much more of a practical realist now.
What do you consider as early Uptown?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
What do you consider as early Uptown?
c. 1997-98.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
c. 1997-98.
Gotcha. Still sketchy at that point, but not as bad as it was before. I know a guy who told me he and his friends thought Lawrence and Broadway was like the ghetto. This was 2002/2003. I laughed.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. Still sketchy at that point, but not as bad as it was before. I know a guy who told me he and his friends thought Lawrence and Broadway was like the ghetto. This was 2002/2003. I laughed.
Wilson and Broadway is thought of as hood by many North Siders. Malden, Seminary, and other streets have pockets of high gang activity. At least in 2006 this was still the case. The Blackstones were very active back then and not sure about now.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It was decidedly sketch. I was paying $300 a month for an apartment next to a crack house on Beacon near Lawrence. I've driven by it recently it's all fancy schmancy now. Almost snobbish. Crack house clean and lovingly restored into yuppie condos. But back then it was 'hood.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Wilson and Broadway is thought of as hood by many North Siders.
Heh, just the transplants. I went to Arai middle school on Wilson, just east of Sheridan. Even as kids we all knew the area was bad, but not ghetto bad.

Quote:
I've driven by it recently it's all fancy schmancy now. Almost snobbish. Crack house clean and lovingly restored into yuppie condos. But back then it was 'hood.
Yup. Blew my mind when I saw an upscale brewery/restaurant (Band of Bohemia?) open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago