Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
that's shocking. but 300 sq ft, is EXTREMELY tight.
I know all the places I have found so far are so small!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 06:54 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Craigslist would be a logical place to start, but your friend would have to secure a job, or at least some interviews, or have some money on hand, to secure even a bedroom in someone's apartment. Could you put him up for a short time, while he makes these kinds of contacts? It's more difficult to do all of this from a thousand miles away, so some planning is in order. If he wants to come that badly ( and I don't blame him, as I think very highly of Chicago), then he'll make the effort...

Old 02-23-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Craigslist would be a logical place to start, but your friend would have to secure a job, or at least some interviews, or have some money on hand, to secure even a bedroom in someone's apartment. Could you put him up for a short time, while he makes these kinds of contacts? It's more difficult to do all of this from a thousand miles away, so some planning is in order. If he wants to come that badly ( and I don't blame him, as I think very highly of Chicago), then he'll make the effort...
He is planning on visiting at some point for a while and look for a job and a place to live before coming up here permanently. Yes you are right he was looking to move to New York City and he and his parents and sister went there a year ago. But then he was curious about Chicago so they came even though the sister was concerned due to the reputation Chicago has thanks to the media but they all were blown away by Chicago and did not want to leave. So he changed his mind about New York city and wants badly to move too Chicago instead . Even the sister is thinking about it now.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 PM

672 posts, read 757,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
He is planning on visiting at some point for a while and look for a job and a place to live before coming up here permanently. Yes you are right he was looking to move to New York City and he and his parents and sister went there a year ago. But then he was curious about Chicago so they came even though the sister was concerned due to the reputation Chicago has thanks to the media but they all were blown away by Chicago and did not want to leave. So he changed his mind about New York city and wants badly to move too Chicago instead . Even the sister is thinking about it now.
Well this is really good news. If he wants the most central neighborhoods then he might need roommates, as others have said. Did he expect to find anything in NYC for that sort of money? I've heard of people paying literally ten times that for a (largeish) one bedroom place in Soho.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
Well this is really good news. If he wants the most central neighborhoods then he might need roommates, as others have said. Did he expect to find anything in NYC for that sort of money? I've heard of people paying literally ten times that for a (largeish) one bedroom place in Soho.
I think he got a bit turned off by NYC after visiting. He said Chicago is so much more beautiful and has better archetcture and he said it is so much cleaner here and the people here are much friendlier and some other things. Oh and the food here he said is the best in the world. Yeah he has mentioned that the roommate thing as a possible option

Last edited by prhill; 02-23-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
You might get a small apartment in that location, but it might be cheap for a reason - run down, bugs, old fashioned, unsafe, etc. He'd be better off moving just on the outskirts of the Gold Coast and get something better. He can take a bus or Uber and get to his fave Gold Coast spots quickly but not have to suffer with such a tiny apartment just to live IN the Gold Coast.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You might get a small apartment in that location, but it might be cheap for a reason - run down, bugs, old fashioned, unsafe, etc. He'd be better off moving just on the outskirts of the Gold Coast and get something better. He can take a bus or Uber and get to his fave Gold Coast spots quickly but not have to suffer with such a tiny apartment just to live IN the Gold Coast.
I know that is why he is thinking of Lincoln Park or lakeview instead. I even mentioned the near west side which is right outside of Downtown and some what affordable

Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
I've seen plenty of places in Bridgeport or Bronzeville in the $800-900 range for a 1br. They aren't super fancy, but they are in safe areas.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've seen plenty of places in Bridgeport or Bronzeville in the $800-900 range for a 1br. They aren't super fancy, but they are in safe areas.
I will mention that to him thanks

Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 AM

796 posts, read 931,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I know all the places I have found so far are so small!
as well they should be. you're lucky you found anything in that price range for those neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago