Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
West Loop isn't super green though. Yes, it has a couple of parks. But it is mostly converted warehouses and some new mid-rises. I love the vibe of it, but it's fairly industrial. Think of an industrial area that's been gentrified and has incredible restaurants everywhere, but maintaining a gritty, warehouse-y feel, with a couple of parks thrown in.

Another perk is that if you get an east facing window a few floors up, you have a spectacular view of the skyline from there.

And I'd advise you stay east of about 1300 W, and north of the Eisenhower (south of there is really University Village (UIC) anyway). Just a personal preference.
Yes, West loop just not the huge tree-lined neighborhoods.

Over the West Loop - Over areas North

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:44 PM

158 posts, read 144,379 times
Wow look at that amazing Chicago skyline! It really is gorgeous. I could definitely get used to looking at that every day! I like the industrial type neighborhoods as long as there are things to do in them, like eating out, which it seems West Loop has much of. When I lived in Astoria NY it was an industrial type neighborhood and I really liked it actually. I was also just 3 blocks from the subway which was super convenient.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:19 PM

14 posts, read 12,813 times
You might also look into my area, the Near West Side. I live near UIC and the United Center, and within walking distance of the IL Medical District, which is the 2nd largest medical district in the US. Its institutions include Rush, Stroger, UI, and Jesse Brown VA Hospitals. The area is served by 2 L lines: Pink and Blue and at least 6 bus routes. We are less than 3 miles from State St. and downtown, and directly west of South Loop/Dearborn Park. Also, a mile north of Pilsen, one of the largest Mexican areas in the country. The main drag, Taylor St., is noted for its restaurants, especially Italian. There's also a student presence, due to UIC. Nightlife isn't much, but we're also just south of the West Loop/Greektown/Randolph St. market area. Housing stock is a mixed bag. It includes row houses, single family homes, gated townhouses, many 2 or 3 flat rental buildings, and some low rise apts. Street parking is difficult, even with Zone Parking, due to hospitals and UIC. As a gay couple, you won't encounter any problems. There's a gay couple who live on my block, and l have hever heard anything negative said about them. Hope you can join us as neighbors.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Hi JVS60612 thanks so much for your reply. Your neighborhood sounds like it has much of what we're looking for. We would like to check it out when we are there in June visiting. Can you recommend a stop on the L line that we could get off to explore that neighborhood? It sounds like Taylor Street would be a good place to start so if there is a train stop on that street that would be great. We will be taking public transportation to visit all the neighborhoods on our list. I am not super familiar with the L line train system so it will be good for us to get some familiarity with it while we are there.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:12 PM

14 posts, read 12,813 times
Glad you found my posting helpful. You can use either Blue Line or Pink Line on the L to reach the Near West Side. The Blue Line stations for my area are Halsted-UIC, Racine, and IL Med District. The Pink Line station serving this area is Polk. You can transfer to buses at all these stations, but I would advise you to walk and explore our area once you leave the stations. After all, if you want to become city people, you walk and use public transportation.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVS60612 View Post
Glad you found my posting helpful. You can use either Blue Line or Pink Line on the L to reach the Near West Side. The Blue Line stations for my area are Halsted-UIC, Racine, and IL Med District. The Pink Line station serving this area is Polk. You can transfer to buses at all these stations, but I would advise you to walk and explore our area once you leave the stations. After all, if you want to become city people, you walk and use public transportation.
Excellent, this is very helpful. Thanks so much for the train stops info. Look forward to being in your city in a few months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago