Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times

Advertisements

^ Jenny, your Pros far outweigh your Cons IMO. Weather is subjective, but by going South you just trade being holed up in the house during the Summer vs. Winter. I lived in Atlanta and the windows get closed in April and do not open until September with the AC running the whole time. I was also in Phoenix around Thanksgiving and the sun was scorching, no thanks! Some may prefer one scenario over the other, but it's really 6 one way and a half dozen the other. Also, a place with significant snowfall is a must for me, love the snow! And overcrowded beaches are better than no beaches.

My only complaints are the politics and taxes.

Just re-read your post regarding parking. Parking downtown is not a problem if you use www.spothero.com We went downtown last weekend and paid $10 for a 12-hour indoor parking spot at AON Center.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 04-02-2018 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 AM

124 posts, read 108,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
^ Jenny, your Pros far outweigh your Cons IMO. Weather is subjective, but by going South you just trade being holed up in the house during the Summer vs. Winter. I lived in Atlanta and the windows get closed in April and do not open until September with the AC running the whole time. I was also in Phoenix around Thanksgiving and the sun was scorching, no thanks! Some may prefer one scenario over the other, but it's really 6 one way and a half dozen the other. Also, a place with significant snowfall is a must for me, love the snow! And overcrowded beaches are better than no beaches.

My only complaints are the politics and taxes.

Just re-read your post regarding parking. Parking downtown is not a problem if you use www.spothero.com We went downtown last weekend and paid $10 for a 12-hour indoor parking spot at AON Center.
^
Ain't that the truth. The weather is one of the cities selling points imo.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:36 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJenny View Post
As someone who was born and raised in the Chi-town. this is my 2 cents. Btw, I have also lived in other places in the US but have spent most of my life here in Chicago. However, I may also move in the near future. Firstly, it not a bad place, it just depends on what kind of lifestyle you imagine for yourself.

Pros-
The people when compared to other cities, are straight to the point, somewhat open minded, and mostly friendly.
Not as much racism, plus diverse, and forward thinking feel in this city
A lot of culture and some of the best restaurants with a VARIETY of different dishes you can only find (a good version of) in Chicago.
Great festivals in the summer months and nice parks
Pretty clean compared to other cities and good service
Great sports atmosphere and teams, Museums, various parts of town where you can experience different lifestyles/cultures
Suburbs pretty nice
Great colleges/universities, nice competitive learning environment
Vibrant political atmosphere, you can complain about something and your local politician does respond
Good medical care and ambulance/police services. if i call an ambulance they are in front of my house before I hang up!

Cons
WEATHER, WEATHER, WEATHER I don't know about anybody else but I lived in Arizona where it was very hot (dry heat) for many months and in ATL where the humidity is high but I feel like I can deal with that better than snow blizzards where you can't leave the house or drive anywhere and the freezing temps of minus zero for weeks at a time every winter. Also, the winter months and unstable cold/rainy weather last for about 8 months of the year. When it is finally Summer, Guess what? there are construction blockages/detours everywhere to fix all the pot holes that damaged your car in the winter. So now, traffic is jammed (Though they have been a little better with that), depending on what part of town you live in, SOME people feel they must have a loud party every single day of the work week and weekend for the entire summer. I mean, parties are nice, but everyday? It's a bit much. I swear, I am not exaggerating.

Overcrowded beaches that are not comfortable to go to
It really is according to our motto, "the city that works" so don't expect any big things to do for holidays like New Years unlike NYC or party all night like in Miami.
All those great attractions in the city are actually hard to get to unless you actually live right next to them which many do not and you pay high parking costs to go anywhere in downtown area. LIke $20 for a 1/2 hr. If you don't mind taking the train, fine but sometimes you want to be comfortable and dress up to go somewhere.

The rent is extremely high, though I agree with all the other posters about it being the same everywhere.
The political news and campaigning is ridiculous
The Crime is REALLY as horrible as they say just look at the news feed for Chicago in your own town, granted some areas are better than others, but you definitely have to pay attention to your surroundings no matter where you are. Don't assume anything. If you feel uncomfortable, always cross the street or get to safety. Do not wear earphones when you can't hear anything,etc.
Btw,when the city tore down places like cabrini green and the mayor wouldn't deal with more divisive gang problems, it just got worse over the years.
CPS schools is a mixed bag, private or catholic grammar schools are best.
Many Blacks are leaving Chicago because of the expenses and crime. Most are migrating to the South, East coast, or other places in the US. In fact, there are places on the far South Side of Chicago that look like ghost towns.
Btw, there are many Hispanics moving to neighborhoods that used to be mostly Black, East European, White, or Italian.
Overall, the reports of people leaving is true and this is my 2 cents about some of the reasons why.
Everything in this post is true. Jenny; of course, the defenders of the city will all refute the things you have posted, but having lived in chicago for many decades, I can confirm that everything you said has merit..
and, yes, the weather sucks most of the time, so glad I am away from that..
Posting this while sitting on my patio, at 74 sunny degrees, at 736 am, in a t shirt and shorts looking at the beautiful mountains in Phoenix..ah, this is the life!!

Old 04-02-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Posting this while sitting on my patio, at 74 sunny degrees, at 736 am, in a t shirt and shorts looking at the beautiful mountains in Phoenix..ah, this is the life!!
Enjoy, but your 10-day forecast looks like the doorsteps of hell to me!

https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...=localwx_10day

Old 04-02-2018, 10:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Everything in this post is true. Jenny; of course, the defenders of the city will all refute the things you have posted, but having lived in chicago for many decades, I can confirm that everything you said has merit..
and, yes, the weather sucks most of the time, so glad I am away from that..
Time to loose the baggage and bitterness.

If so happy where you are ..... you should be free from any need to blame, accuse and seem bitter of your move from Chicago ..... was forced and not what you wanted? But you claim it's as a utopia? Right

Old 04-02-2018, 10:59 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Enjoy, but your 10-day forecast looks like the doorsteps of hell to me!

https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...=localwx_10day
Honestly, I have to tell you, in the 7 months I have been here, I have gotten acclimated really fast, and, believe it or not 95 degrees with 5% humidty actually feels nice..sure, you have to stay out of the sun as much as possible, but in the shade/under the patio umbrella, it feels really nice. Over 105 though, its hot, no matter how much shade you have..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Time to loose the baggage and bitterness.

If so happy where you are ..... you should be free from any need to blame, accuse and seem bitter of your move from Chicago ..... was forced and not what you wanted? But you claim it's as a utopia? Right
Dude, where am I blaming ANYONE in my above post for ANYTHING?
I'm not bitter about my life in Chicago, just glad I had the chance to get out while I could...
if anything, I notice most of YOUR posts have a bitter under tone, and you just cant take anyone saying anything negative about Chicago; how long have you lived there, how many changes have you seen in your life there, and, why do you endlessly feel the need to attack anyone who says anything negative about the city?

And, please point out where i used the term "utopia"

Old 04-03-2018, 07:45 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Honestly, I have to tell you, in the 7 months I have been here, I have gotten acclimated really fast, and, believe it or not 95 degrees with 5% humidty actually feels nice..sure, you have to stay out of the sun as much as possible, but in the shade/under the patio umbrella, it feels really nice. Over 105 though, its hot, no matter how much shade you have..

Dude, where am I blaming ANYONE in my above post for ANYTHING?
I'm not bitter about my life in Chicago, just glad I had the chance to get out while I could...
if anything, I notice most of YOUR posts have a bitter under tone, and you just cant take anyone saying anything negative about Chicago; how long have you lived there, how many changes have you seen in your life there, and, why do you endlessly feel the need to attack anyone who says anything negative about the city?

And, please point out where i used the term "utopia"
Again if so happy in your new city..... the need to continually put down a former home would and should loose a interest as you were s you said ..... "got out while you can". You boasted weather vs Chicago's. Well that is any northern city.

just I visit these threads and see the same post of Chicago sucks.... for endless reasons. In a few weeks I will see if the same I read from the same posters....

If not a educated professional.... Chicago or any major Northern city I'd not recommend. But plenty find the new Chicago attractive and plenty still investing in it.

I could complain about my old hometown by me in PA and older smal cities around me depressed today and getting transplants from NYC Boroughs and Philly seeking cheaper old row-housing and decent gang-free schools. They certainly do not come for plentiful jobs as welfare rolls in the county keep increasing in these transplants and property I own there is worth less then 25 years ago.

I see good visible changes when I visit Chicago. Downtown outward on steroids. But I surely know its not all the city.

Chicago looks god to outsiders. Its housing stock and frontage standard and ugly power-line poles not in fronts are great in aesthetics too. The city comes across as cleaner then most Eastern cities too. The Northwest side I lived still looks good. Showing its age a bit more .... but still great housing stock.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:17 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Again if so happy in your new city..... the need to continually put down a former home would and should loose a interest as you were s you said ..... "got out while you can". You boasted weather vs Chicago's. Well that is any northern city.

just I visit these threads and see the same post of Chicago sucks.... for endless reasons. In a few weeks I will see if the same I read from the same posters....

If not a educated professional.... Chicago or any major Northern city I'd not recommend. But plenty find the new Chicago attractive and plenty still investing in it.

I could complain about my old hometown by me in PA and older smal cities around me depressed today and getting transplants from NYC Boroughs and Philly seeking cheaper old row-housing and decent gang-free schools. They certainly do not come for plentiful jobs as welfare rolls in the county keep increasing in these transplants and property I own there is worth less then 25 years ago.

I see good visible changes when I visit Chicago. Downtown outward on steroids. But I surely know its not all the city.

Chicago looks god to outsiders. Its housing stock and frontage standard and ugly power-line poles not in fronts are great in aesthetics too. The city comes across as cleaner then most Eastern cities too. The Northwest side I lived still looks good. Showing its age a bit more .... but still great housing stock.
Good post--in agreement here...

The weather issue is pretty laughable, as some here are trying to tout Atlanta and Phoenix weather as "desirable". Just wait until summer hits, or even late spring.. Chicago will look just fine by then. And as for Chicago's winter weather: not much different from Boston, or Cleveland, or Detroit, etc, and quite manageable. Those who fell that they'll be hovering indoors in 20-30-degree weather are either 1) pathetic, or 2)prone towards great exaggeration...

Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Good post--in agreement here...

The weather issue is pretty laughable, as some here are trying to tout Atlanta and Phoenix weather as "desirable". Just wait until summer hits, or even late spring.. Chicago will look just fine by then. And as for Chicago's winter weather: not much different from Boston, or Cleveland, or Detroit, etc, and quite manageable. Those who fell that they'll be hovering indoors in 20-30-degree weather are either 1) pathetic, or 2)prone towards great exaggeration...
It's totally subjective, while obviously California is many peoples "ideal" climate, there are people, myself included who love hot weather, like in the south or sw, who love being outdoors year round hiking, swimming, boating, etc and don't mind the hot weather.

My follks moved to South Carolina and while it does get hot they have pretty great weather for me personally, shorter winters, even in the "winter" you can oftentimes go to the beach throw out a blanket and look out at the water

Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:

It's definitely a stark contrast. You guys are looking at 90+ degrees today and we woke up with snow on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago