Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Years and years ago when there was a very different mix of employment and economic factors in play there were vibrant parts of Chicago that were far removed from the current focus on northside and downtown shopping and entertainment but the sad fact is that no politicians have really made any progress in getting back that kind of environment...
To get to a time when there were vibrant parts of the South Side close to Hyde Park you have to go back three-quarters of a century. Woodlawn and Washington Park were godawful in 1970. So was Kenwood north of 47th Street.

Bridgeport is still fine as is the area around McCormick Place/Chinatown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 03:55 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
I agree with you on Bronzeville/Douglas. I'm unsure about Washington Park area and Woodlawn. What are your thoughts on those ever coming up? I'm looking at buying a place at 61st/Langley.
Greenline coffee is by there, which I visit periodically and highly recommend. Washington Park is nearby, and during the day it's a lovely area. Hell, I was just at the parade today and while that isn't a typical crowd, there was a lot of energy everywhere, with the lagoon being particularly lovely.

And that's all I can really say positive about the area; I personally wouldn't be comfortable living there and think it isn't worth the investment. At the least you should visit the property multiple times, including nights and weekends, and get a feel for it during the day, night, maybe talk to some of the residents.

Also, and this is completely observational, if you're spending dramatically more or less than $25,000 per room for whatever property you find, then I'd have additional reservations. Just based on what I'm seeing on nearby redfin sales the past few years.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Bronzeville is on the cusp of being something special - just fill in that damn Michael Reese sight.

Also, holy s-hit does the neighborhood have some incredible properties: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/Un.../home/13952515

As for Washington Park, meh, best to avoid - except for Currency Exchange Café and the park itself (during day hours). What a lovely coffee shop.

Woodlawn has a few hints of improvement, but it's nowhere at the level of Kenwood and Hyde Park. Should the city extend the green line east, well, I wouldn't complain. Robust Coffee and Greenline Coffee are quite delicious too.
I haven't had problems walking through Washington Park as a white guy, but I'd only do so during the day. At night, I think I'd avoid walking through there.

Generally, most blocks I've seen east of Washington Park felt pretty safe to me. Kenwood actually isn't too bad either, and has some nice houses such as the one that Barack Obama and Louis Farrakan(sp?) live in. Bronzeville is pretty nice in some areas, as well.

And funny another person mentioned the lack of Green Line service east of Cottage Grove. It's too bad the CTA bowed to the stupid demands of one pastor back in the 1990s, and tore down the Jackson Park(now East 63rd) Green Line branch east of Cottage Grove. That branch used to run all the way to Stony Island, but in past decades was torn down to some point inbetween Cottage Grove and Stony Island(Dorchester?), and then that remaining part was finally torn down in the 90s due to that one outspoken church pastor. Sadly I don't hold my breath the Green Line will be rebuilt east of Cottage Grove, though it'd be nice if that ever occurred!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 AM

504 posts, read 495,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I haven't had problems walking through Washington Park as a white guy, but I'd only do so during the day. At night, I think I'd avoid walking through there.

Generally, most blocks I've seen east of Washington Park felt pretty safe to me. Kenwood actually isn't too bad either, and has some nice houses such as the one that Barack Obama and Louis Farrakan(sp?) live in. Bronzeville is pretty nice in some areas, as well.

And funny another person mentioned the lack of Green Line service east of Cottage Grove. It's too bad the CTA bowed to the stupid demands of one pastor back in the 1990s, and tore down the Jackson Park(now East 63rd) Green Line branch east of Cottage Grove. That branch used to run all the way to Stony Island, but in past decades was torn down to some point inbetween Cottage Grove and Stony Island(Dorchester?), and then that remaining part was finally torn down in the 90s due to that one outspoken church pastor. Sadly I don't hold my breath the Green Line will be rebuilt east of Cottage Grove, though it'd be nice if that ever occurred!

I am really mad about the lack of CTA to Jackson Park. That was ridiculous that they they tore it down. unforgivable. And I don't see it being rebuilt for decades, if ever.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
I am really mad about the lack of CTA to Jackson Park. That was ridiculous that they they tore it down. unforgivable. And I don't see it being rebuilt for decades, if ever.
They ended the ugly, raggedy el a mile from Jackson Park, that's all. It was a holdover from the Century of Progress of 1893 and made 63rd street into a tawdry, twilight sidestreet. There are always express buses 6, 14 and 28 from the loop to Jackson Park which run late into the evening. Others may want to take Metra to Jackson Park. From the west, there is also transportation, even to La Rabida.

To say there is no CTA to Jackson Park is just inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago