Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:36 AM

195 posts, read 214,902 times

Advertisements

@Emathias

1) Yeah you can SURVIVE on less than 60k, but you won't live comfortably. Oh and if you are making less than 40k, then forget it. You are screwed here.

2)True a lot of it does depend on how well one can sell themselves in interviews. However, I would advise you and the op to go to craigslist, indeed, and even Facebook's job search for Chicago. You will find that most of the jobs advertised will be in the suburbs. It is very hard to get to the suburbs without a car.

3) You said you moved here in 95 and worked in the loop the entire time. Yeah I bet you did. The economy was good in 95. However, since the 2008 great recession it's a lot different. Plus, you got your foot in the door when the economy was good. No wonder you are making it. As for the OP, I find that to be highly questionable.

4) Yes, I was wrong about the specific taxes that come out. However, I could show you my paychecks and even at my low salary, I get 16 to 19% of my wages taken out of my checks before I get them. Oh and that 10.25% sales tax is sky high.

5) Again, go and look at the places that are hiring. Most are in the suburbs and even if they aren't, many employers discriminate against you if you don't have a car because they think it will take you too long to get to work.

6) Dude we aren't negative, we are realistic. Chicago was THE MOST EXITED CITY IN THE USA in 2015 and 2016. This is not just irony. Also, just look at many of the threads on this forum. For instance, there is an ongoing thread called, "Why are so many people leaving Chicago". It is a 27 page long thread last time I checked. We are not being negative, the politicians are making taxes so high that the city is becoming completely unaffordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
You make 40k
You lose 2k to state taxes
You lose 8k to federal taxes
You lose 6-12k to rent
You lose an additional 1k/year to taxes of goods b/c of the higher sales tax rate

That leaves a pretty significant chunk of money for living expenses. The only costs you pay in chicago that you wouldn't pay elsewhere are slightly higher state taxes & a small amount of money on sales. The benefits are that you get a higher wage in Chicago than a rural area, with much greater job mobility + tons of public infrastructure like the L, beaches, etc..
Chicago has the 9th highest rent in the USA. Rent costs like $1200 to $1500 a month for a decent studio out of the hood here. That rent statistic is DEAD WRONG.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Chicago has the 9th highest rent in the USA. Rent costs like $1200 to $1500 a month for a decent studio out of the hood here. That rent statistic is DEAD WRONG.
Completely untrue, you can get studios for about $900 in Ravenswood and Lincoln Square which are great neighborhoods. I live in a VERY nice, quiet neighborhood between Lincoln Square and Andersonville and my rent just went up to $1045 for a 4 room 1 bedroom apt. I do pay for my heat, but since I like it cold, the worst that's ever been was about $70 for a month.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:42 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
@Emathias

1) Yeah you can SURVIVE on less than 60k, but you won't live comfortably. Oh and if you are making less than 40k, then forget it. You are screwed here.

2)True a lot of it does depend on how well one can sell themselves in interviews. However, I would advise you and the op to go to craigslist, indeed, and even Facebook's job search for Chicago. You will find that most of the jobs advertised will be in the suburbs. It is very hard to get to the suburbs without a car.

3) You said you moved here in 95 and worked in the loop the entire time. Yeah I bet you did. The economy was good in 95. However, since the 2008 great recession it's a lot different. Plus, you got your foot in the door when the economy was good. No wonder you are making it. As for the OP, I find that to be highly questionable.

4) Yes, I was wrong about the specific taxes that come out. However, I could show you my paychecks and even at my low salary, I get 16 to 19% of my wages taken out of my checks before I get them. Oh and that 10.25% sales tax is sky high.

5) Again, go and look at the places that are hiring. Most are in the suburbs and even if they aren't, many employers discriminate against you if you don't have a car because they think it will take you too long to get to work.

6) Dude we aren't negative, we are realistic. Chicago was THE MOST EXITED CITY IN THE USA in 2015 and 2016. This is not just irony. Also, just look at many of the threads on this forum. For instance, there is an ongoing thread called, "Why are so many people leaving Chicago". It is a 27 page long thread last time I checked. We are not being negative, the politicians are making taxes so high that the city is becoming completely unaffordable.
Chicago is the third largest city in the US. Of course more people will leave it than Washington DC (I meet tons of people who leave there, btw) or philly. There are threads on the FL board about people leaving too. I am sure there are threads in other boards about people leaving. Yes, Chicago has a decrease, but some areas are increasing.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Completely untrue, you can get studios for about $900 in Ravenswood and Lincoln Square which are great neighborhoods. I live in a VERY nice, quiet neighborhood between Lincoln Square and Andersonville and my rent just went up to $1045 for a 4 room 1 bedroom apt. I do pay for my heat, but since I like it cold, the worst that's ever been was about $70 for a month.
Yeah you might get some deals if you look hard but Chicago in general has the 9th highest rent in then nation.

10 Most Expensive Cities to Be a Renter | Money

Old 07-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Chicago is the third largest city in the US. Of course more people will leave it than Washington DC (I meet tons of people who leave there, btw) or philly. There are threads on the FL board about people leaving too. I am sure there are threads in other boards about people leaving. Yes, Chicago has a decrease, but some areas are increasing.
Read this...

Chicago only major U.S. city to lose population from 2015 to 2016 - Chicago Tribune

Old 07-28-2017, 10:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
That will continue I am sure

Old 07-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
That will continue I am sure
I can't wait to see how many people leave Chicago in 2017

Old 07-29-2017, 09:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Quote:
It will be a high number I bet. And I think it will be much higher in 2018 with everything that is going on

Old 07-30-2017, 03:08 AM

672 posts, read 757,900 times
Quote:
Oh for God's sake. If culture, aesthetics, walkability and so on aren't priorities, or if making it in the city is too hard, then leaving for Florida or whatever is a no brainer. Plenty of people are moving to sprawling, mediocre sunbelt auto dystopias. What's with coming here to the Chicago board, and quoting selective stats and untruths? I'm continually amazed at the need to come on here to talk one's self into leaving.

Last edited by compactspace; 07-30-2017 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: Cleaning up language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago