Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 01:57 AM

79 posts, read 95,605 times

Advertisements

Census: Hispanics surpass blacks as Chicago's 2nd-largest racial group | Chicago Sun-Times

Not really a surprise, but black Chicagoans continue their exodus from the city as other groups see growth.

I love Chicago, but the opportunity gap between wealthier, mostly-white Chicagoans and poorer, minority residents is a tragedy. And at the end of the day, it hurts all of us. Many of the problems are easy to identify (crime, lousy schools, lack of jobs, etc.), but it seems no one has the right solutions.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 02:00 AM

665 posts, read 613,697 times
You're going to start to hear about black flight from the Midwest and up north cities due to lack of jobs, housing, policing, crime etc. So get ready for more stories like this.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:51 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Cool.
Even though I feel like everyone is moving to the burbs I guess there's still enough moving within city limits.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:59 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSideSoxGuy View Post
Census: Hispanics surpass blacks as Chicago's 2nd-largest racial group | Chicago Sun-Times

Not really a surprise, but black Chicagoans continue their exodus from the city as other groups see growth.

I love Chicago, but the opportunity gap between wealthier, mostly-white Chicagoans and poorer, minority residents is a tragedy. And at the end of the day, it hurts all of us. Many of the problems are easy to identify (crime, lousy schools, lack of jobs, etc.), but it seems no one has the right solutions.

Thoughts?
Government on all levels needs to stop incentivizing FAILURE. Very simple, stop subsidizing generations of out of wedlock, single parent "families" where the parent is UNINVOLVED with the child's education, or advancement.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:21 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
No surprises here. Almost every black person I talk to is at least thinking about moving out of Chicago.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:21 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Anyone surprised

Rahm is shutting down their schools, neglecting their neighborhoods, and pretty much abandoning them

Can't say I blame them

Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
No surprises here. Almost every black person I talk to is at least thinking about moving out of Chicago.
Given the state of our predominantly black neighborhoods (defined in segregated Chicagospeak as 90% plus), I do not blame them. To stop the exodus, we need to bring back manufacturing.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
You're going to start to hear about black flight from the Midwest and up north cities due to lack of jobs, housing, policing, crime etc. So get ready for more stories like this.
this story is if anything old, these trends were all highlighted in the 2010 census

Old 09-15-2017, 11:04 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Given the state of our predominantly black neighborhoods (defined in segregated Chicagospeak as 90% plus), I do not blame them. To stop the exodus, we need to bring back manufacturing.
The vast majority of my friends are white collar professionals. I'm not sure why you would assume otherwise. It's not just the poor that want to move out of this place.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:10 PM

426 posts, read 334,495 times
Black flight from the city has slowed some this decade, it’s still averaging about 12,000 a year, based on data from the American Community Survey, also issued by the Census Bureau. Blacks leaving Cook County tended to move either to northwest Indiana or farther out in the metro area, or to Atlanta, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Dallas-Fort Worth, Indianapolis or Milwaukee, in that order of popularity of destinations. The same data show the population of whites, Latinos and people of Asian heritage growing. So in essence, Chicago is losing poor residents and African-Americans while gaining wealthier residents
This the exact opposite of demographic trends that shaped the city from the end of World War II until the late 1980’s.
There are a lot of reasons for this, but the trend was given a solid nudge by the policies of the Daley administration: tearing down CHA high rises, disinvestment in neighborhood schools in favor of magnets and charters, TIF subsidies for high-end residential development around downtown, and infrastructure investment in and around downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago