Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

Take a look at the description of "Chad" from Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_(slang)

Quote:
Chad is a generally derogatory slang term referring to a young urban white man, typically single and in his 20s or early 30s.[1] The term originated during the 1990s in Chicago, Illinois,[2] and was further popularized by a satirical website dedicated to the Lincoln Park Chad Society, a fictional social club based in Chicago's upscale Lincoln Park neighborhood. The female counterpart to the Chad, in slang, is the "Trixie".[3]

A Chad is typically depicted as originating in Chicago's affluent North Shore suburbs (Highland Park, Lincolnshire, Deerfield, Northbrook, Glenview, Glencoe, Winnetka, Wilmette, or Lake Forest), receiving a BMW for his 16th birthday, obtaining a law or business degree from a Big Ten University, belonging to a fraternity, moving to Lincoln Park, marrying a Trixie, and then moving back to the North Suburbs.[4]
1. Who from the North Shore even names their kid Chad?
2. How did this term become so well known in the manosphere as Chad Thundercock and
3. How did Trixie get replaced by Stacy??

I find it honorable that we seem to create things that become worldwide (kinda like we did with House music and the word thot).

Anyway what do you think of when you picture Chad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 09:53 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
I picture one of my old neighbors named Chad. He was a little prick for sure. We called him BAD behind his back.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:11 AM

The fact that someone existed in Chicago with this name is a)rather unbelievable and 2)amazing

Old 11-08-2017, 11:41 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
Yep, true story. Must have been 1980 in Brighton Park. Far from the North Shore of course.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:18 PM

128 posts, read 97,880 times
I know a guy named Chad, but in his case its short for his real name... He's from India and unfortunately I do not know how to pronounce it. He goes by Chad instead.

He's nothing like the stereotype.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:51 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Chad is a generally derogatory slang term
I think Chads should wear their "Chadness" with pride.

I used to love the Lincoln Park Trixie Society website back in the day. Especially the discussion forum. I posted there as a couple of fictional Chicago characters I made up who were as different from Chads and Trixies as one could get. One was an older Irish Catholic spinster who lived in a one-bedroom house in Bridgeport "that leans a little bit". LOL. She worked as a bookkeeper. She ate "only American cooking" and eschewed sushi and other "exotic, foreign foods" because "we Americans don't have the stomachs for them." Her one exception was spaghetti and meatballs, which she called "Italian". She loved to boast about how "unpretentious" she was compared to the Chad and Trixie set.

The other was a Gold Coast woman who said she'd never move out of her 15-room Lake Shore Drive apartment, ever. "When I die," she said, "I'm going to be buried underneath the floorboards so I can stay in my home forever."

Old 11-08-2017, 02:53 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve&Adam View Post
I know a guy named Chad, but in his case its short for his real name...
I had an internet acquaintance named Chad (who never lived in Chicago). In his case, his real first name was Charles. Charles was also his father's name, which, I suppose, is why he went by "Chad" instead.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:58 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I had an internet acquaintance named Chad (who never lived in Chicago). In his case, his real first name was Charles. Charles was also his father's name, which, I suppose, is why he went by "Chad" instead.
Hmmm - I thought "Chaz" was the preppy kind of nickname for Charles, rather than the more pedestrian Charlie or Chuck.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:16 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
I once new a Chip, and a Kip, but never a Chad.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I think Chads should wear their "Chadness" with pride.

I used to love the Lincoln Park Trixie Society website back in the day. Especially the discussion forum. I posted there as a couple of fictional Chicago characters I made up who were as different from Chads and Trixies as one could get. One was an older Irish Catholic spinster who lived in a one-bedroom house in Bridgeport "that leans a little bit". LOL. She worked as a bookkeeper. She ate "only American cooking" and eschewed sushi and other "exotic, foreign foods" because "we Americans don't have the stomachs for them." Her one exception was spaghetti and meatballs, which she called "Italian". She loved to boast about how "unpretentious" she was compared to the Chad and Trixie set.

The other was a Gold Coast woman who said she'd never move out of her 15-room Lake Shore Drive apartment, ever. "When I die," she said, "I'm going to be buried underneath the floorboards so I can stay in my home forever."

The only reason Chad is an insult is because people are jealous of people who face no struggles. The Chad stereotype is that of a privileged rich punk.

However it is worthy of note than in the manosphere, Chad actually refers to a dudebro archetype who basically is a ladies man. Usually an athlete, "All American looking"(picture a Middle American White football player), and all around the "alpha" of men.

The stereotypes are intertwined but not the same. What the hell are these guys thinking Co-opting our term?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago