Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 04:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

By in large, you are much less likely to experience violence in Hispanic neighborhoods in Chicago. Again, you are still in the city and need to exhibit street smarts, but as others have mentioned, simply driving through most Hispanic neighborhoods, there are populated business areas, and large amounts of working class families around. It is night and day different than neighborhoods like Englewood. Again, that’s not to say there aren’t gangs or violence (there are a lot of Hispanic gangs), but they are more organized and aren’t going to pull up on random people or even interact with their rivals like it’s the Wild West. I’ve been to Pilsen and Little Village and never had any problems or fear of safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 11:56 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
By in large, you are much less likely to experience violence in Hispanic neighborhoods in Chicago. Again, you are still in the city and need to exhibit street smarts, but as others have mentioned, simply driving through most Hispanic neighborhoods, there are populated business areas, and large amounts of working class families around. It is night and day different than neighborhoods like Englewood. Again, that’s not to say there aren’t gangs or violence (there are a lot of Hispanic gangs), but they are more organized and aren’t going to pull up on random people or even interact with their rivals like it’s the Wild West. I’ve been to Pilsen and Little Village and never had any problems or fear of safety.
Pull up on random people....wild wild west.......Hilarious.

You've been sending dog whistles throughout this entire thread.

We all know impoverished areas like Englewood are note safe. Truth be told, there is a very good chance the killings that seem to happen every weekend could be orchestrated.

Why do we only hear about violence happening over the weekend. Are criminals taking a much needed break during the week?

My guess is there's more to it than just a bunch of "thugs" running around shooting each other.

That land on the south side looks mighty good.

And we all know the city of Chicago is undergoing gentrification.

Just random thoughts.

On any given day violence can happen anywhere in Chicago.

If you are one that follows the news and believes the propaganda....then stay away from Englewood on the weekends.

Weekdays are fine.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:16 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Pull up on random people....wild wild west.......Hilarious.

You've been sending dog whistles throughout this entire thread.

We all know impoverished areas like Englewood are note safe. Truth be told, there is a very good chance the killings that seem to happen every weekend could be orchestrated.

Why do we only hear about violence happening over the weekend. Are criminals taking a much needed break during the week?

My guess is there's more to it than just a bunch of "thugs" running around shooting each other.

That land on the south side looks mighty good.

And we all know the city of Chicago is undergoing gentrification.

Just random thoughts.

On any given day violence can happen anywhere in Chicago.

If you are one that follows the news and believes the propaganda....then stay away from Englewood on the weekends.

Weekdays are fine.
Truly random thoughts given that hardly anything you wrote makes sense....

Your little conspiracy theories are hard to follow. Why do we hear about violence mostly in summer months? Are "thugs" taking a break in the winter too? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that most crime in this city happens on the weekends when it's warm out. Yeah......the city's murders in areas like Englewood are orchestrated. Best theory yet on Chicago's crime problems You said it best....random thoughts.

Glad that you liked my dog whistles throughout this entire thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:54 PM

504 posts, read 495,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'd say you'll be fine. 26th Street and Cermak in Little Village are very vibrant and fun. Just watch your surroundings and if you're going to be out much past 10 p.m. take an Uber back to where you're going. The Pink Line borders North Lawndale throughout much of LV and North Lawndale is a pit. But I'd recommend that in pretty much any City neighborhood for people not familiar with Chicago.
I agree with this 100%, I love cermak and 26th in LV. Also really like the housing stock and the lack of vacant lots (due to no race rioting decades ago).

Also Bru, I have to say - I've reversed my opinion on Cicero a bit. Certain parts are potentially going to be an investment in 10 years. I really like the stock in a few areas and the pink line is a nice feature. The real estate tax rate just is too high for me to consider it now, but I think a bit more highly of the area after a few walks.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:05 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
I agree with this 100%, I love cermak and 26th in LV. Also really like the housing stock and the lack of vacant lots (due to no race rioting decades ago).

Also Bru, I have to say - I've reversed my opinion on Cicero a bit. Certain parts are potentially going to be an investment in 10 years. I really like the stock in a few areas and the pink line is a nice feature. The real estate tax rate just is too high for me to consider it now, but I think a bit more highly of the area after a few walks.
I'd try to stay within a half a mile of one of the trains but yes, I do think it may be a good investment over time.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:20 AM

629 posts, read 543,099 times
just go to the site heyjackass.com and look up all the demographic statistics here you go

https://heyjackass.com/2018-race-of-victim-assailant/

in 2018 80% of victims are black, 12% hispanic

Old 08-18-2018, 08:29 AM

81 posts, read 179,827 times
This all depends on Mexican (22% of Chicago) and Puerto Rican (4%).

Even tho, Chicago Mexicans do have gangs and participated in Chicago's gang culture, their neighborhoods are considerably safer than black neighborhoods but not as safe as white neighborhoods. They represent about 90% of Hispanics on the Southwest side and 30% of Hispanics on the Northwest side.

Puerto Ricans on the other hand, some may be middle class, but the vast majority in Chicago are lower/working class or straight up poor. Their neighborhoods tend to be just as bad as black neighborhoods. They are mostly on the Northwest side, immediately north of Grand Ave (north of the mostly black Westside), in neighborhoods like Humboldt Park, Hermosa, and Belmont Cragin. They represent 60% of Hispanics on the Northwest side, more concentrated above Grand, the further north you go the Hispanic population goes from mainly Puerto Rican/Mexican to Mexican/Central American.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:25 AM

502 posts, read 391,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaribenoEast View Post
This all depends on Mexican (22% of Chicago) and Puerto Rican (4%).

Even tho, Chicago Mexicans do have gangs and participated in Chicago's gang culture, their neighborhoods are considerably safer than black neighborhoods but not as safe as white neighborhoods. They represent about 90% of Hispanics on the Southwest side and 30% of Hispanics on the Northwest side.

Puerto Ricans on the other hand, some may be middle class, but the vast majority in Chicago are lower/working class or straight up poor. Their neighborhoods tend to be just as bad as black neighborhoods. They are mostly on the Northwest side, immediately north of Grand Ave (north of the mostly black Westside), in neighborhoods like Humboldt Park, Hermosa, and Belmont Cragin. They represent 60% of Hispanics on the Northwest side, more concentrated above Grand, the further north you go the Hispanic population goes from mainly Puerto Rican/Mexican to Mexican/Central American.
That's interesting, you don't really hear too much about Puerto Ricans in Chicago anymore. I thought most of them had left.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
That's interesting, you don't really hear too much about Puerto Ricans in Chicago anymore. I thought most of them had left.
I take it you missed the parade>

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e.../parade15.html

Old 08-18-2018, 11:17 PM

502 posts, read 391,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
True, I guess they just don't get talked about much as being part of Chicago outside of Chicago itself. I live in Texas and I rarely hear anyone mention Chicago's Puerto Rican community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago