Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 12:59 PM

889 posts, read 628,749 times

Advertisements

One year ago, April 2018, it was announced that Bon-Ton would be liquidated. Of course, this liquidation included Carson's, which as a staple of Chicago shopping for over 160 years.

Carson's was my 'go to' department store for decades. I preferred it to Marshall Field's, which later was rebranded as Macy's.

lt seems as if middle class shopping options in the Chicago area have been diminished. I grudgingly shop at Macy's when l need to shop at a department store, as I don't like JCPenney or Kohl's. And Macy's carries many of the brands and labels which Carson's sold.

I had hoped that Dillard's would have considered coming to the Chicago area. But department stores are contracting and not expanding.

Do any other posters also miss Carson's?

BTW, I'm aware that the Carson's in Evergreen Park was reopened last year by an Indiana based company which bought the rights to Bon-Ton's intellectual properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 01:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,262,555 times
Meh. Flip a coin. Did it really make that much of a difference whether or not you were essentially shopping for a polo shirt (etc.) at Carson’s or Macy’s (or xxx, for that matter)

Old 04-06-2019, 08:01 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,564,239 times
I have never been to a Carson's. I know that there was one in Wilmette for as long as I can remember, but we never went there. I've never been to J.C. Penney or Kohl's either, so...

Old 04-07-2019, 11:59 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,848,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I have never been to a Carson's. I know that there was one in Wilmette for as long as I can remember, but we never went there. I've never been to J.C. Penney or Kohl's either, so...
The Edens Plaza store was the first suburban mall setting for a department store in the North Suburbs. Unfortunately for Carsons, a year or so afterwards Old Orchard opened in Skokie, far bigger, far more stores and two anchor stores, Marshall Field's and The Fair.

Less known, Carsons had a store very close to Edens Plaza, a small store in downtown Winnetka (I believe it was the location of a chain from downstate that CPS had acquired. This one was probably comparable in size to Field's Lake Forest store.

The first expansion to suburbia itself of a downtown department store was, I believe, in the 1920s when Field's opened in downtown Evanston and downtown Oak Park in two buildings that pretty much were photo copies of each other.

Carsons for much of its lifetime (particularly in the 70's and 80's) was positioned more high middle than middle. State Street had more department stores than any retail district in the world (at varying times.....Field's, Carsons, Wieboldts, Boston Store, The Fair, Mandle Bros.,Sears, Wards, Goldblatts) with Marshall Field's the obvious flagship. But Carsons held it own, was always in second place ahead of all the rest....and Field's and Carsons were the two true heavyweights on the street.

Carsons was more popular with many people over Field's. Its clothing was more appealing to those looking for a sportier look, Field's being more, well...matronly.. When people went to the Loop to see Christmas decorations, it was Field's and Carsons, just one block apart that they were most interesting to see.

And during the era I mentioned, despite the fact that suburbia was, by that point, covered in department stores, the downtown locations were still special and had more than their branches did. Both Field's and Carsons were very promotionally oriented with endless number of "fairs" whose themes varied (in some cases....the celebration of a particular nation and its products).

And both served a special sandwich of their own inventing (it started here...don't know which one).....open faced rye bread, turkey breast, bacon, tomato, lettuce, hard boiled egg, covered in thousand island dressing. The only place I've ever seen it today is at Eleven City Dinner (Wabash, right north of Roosevelt), basically a Jewish deli, and their sandwich is listed on the menu as a tribute to "that famous Chicago Dept. store).

Last edited by edsg25; 04-07-2019 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 12:07 PM

1,013 posts, read 727,748 times
I frequently shopped at Carson’s in Spring Hill Mall in Dundee. They took over what had been Bergner’s, I believe. I liked their brand selection but their sales/coupons/promotions were confusing. Spring Hill also had a very small Fields.

Another store I shopped a lot was Joseph Spiess, in Elgin, Spring Hill Dundee and Crystal Lake. I understand why retail is declining but I miss the brick and mortar stores.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,925,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The Edens Plaza store was the first suburban mall setting for a department store in the North Suburbs. Unfortunately for Carsons, a year or so afterwards Old Orchard opened in Skokie, far bigger, far more stores and two anchor stores, Marshall Field's and The Fair.

Less known, Carsons had a store very close to Edens Plaza, a small store in downtown Winnetka (I believe it was the location of a chain from downstate that CPS had acquired. This one was probably comparable in size to Field's Lake Forest store.

The first expansion to suburbia itself of a downtown department store was, I believe, in the 1920s when Field's opened in downtown Evanston and downtown Oak Park in two buildings that pretty much were photo copies of each other.

Carsons for much of its lifetime (particularly in the 70's and 80's) was positioned more high middle than middle. State Street had more department stores than any retail district in the world (at varying times.....Field's, Carsons, Wieboldts, Boston Store, The Fair, Mandle Bros.,Sears, Wards, Goldblatts) with Marshall Field's the obvious flagship. But Carsons held it own, was always in second place ahead of all the rest....and Field's and Carsons were the two true heavyweights on the street.

Carsons was more popular with many people over Field's. Its clothing was more appealing to those looking for a sportier look, Field's being more, well...matronly.. When people went to the Loop to see Christmas decorations, it was Field's and Carsons, just one block apart that they were most interesting to see.

And during the era I mentioned, despite the fact that suburbia was, by that point, covered in department stores, the downtown locations were still special and had more than their branches did. Both Field's and Carsons were very promotionally oriented with endless number of "fairs" whose themes varied (in some cases....the celebration of a particular nation and its products).

And both served a special sandwich of their own inventing (it started here...don't know which one).....open faced rye bread, turkey breast, bacon, tomato, lettuce, hard boiled egg, covered in thousand island dressing. The only place I've ever seen it today is at Eleven City Dinner (Wabash, right north of Roosevelt), basically a Jewish deli, and their sandwich is listed on the menu as a tribute to "that famous Chicago Dept. store).
great trip down memory lane, man, I remember every single one of those things you mention..

Old 04-08-2019, 04:28 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,848,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
great trip down memory lane, man, I remember every single one of those things you mention..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago