Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times

Advertisements

Don't move there. It is not safe. Lots of gang activity. Stick to the Hispanic parts of Humboldt Park if you choose to move there.

It does matter that she is blond. She would be a target in that area.

It is not safe for the blacks and few hispanics that live in that area but even less for a blond, white lady who is relatively young, 32.

That area will improve significantly in the next 5 years with the Menards development but I would not move there. I am 6 blocks east of you and 6 blocks north. It is night and day from where you are looking.

That area mirrors Austin to the west and Garfield Park to the south, though maybe is slightly better. It still sucks.

Gangs will hurt their neighbors, especially if they think they have money. Gangs generally leave you alone if you leave them alone, but they will not hesitate to rob an easy target.

Stick to Logan Square and the Northern and Eastern Parts of Humboldt Park and you will be much safer.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
Default Keeler and Division

I live very near Keeler and Division. I have for over a year. I am 35 and my husband and I moved here because it was really the only affordable place in the city for us to have a house.I have never had any real trouble in this area.I don't generally do things like walk around at night alone but I have taken walks during the day around our block. The neighbors are friendly. Several on the block have been here 30yrs or more. Most of them would tell you just to watch the corner. There is now a police camera at the intersection which has cut down on a lot of issues. I will tell you that shopping for groceries and such in this area is difficult. There are no Jewels or Dominics. You will rely on you car much more than in other neighborhoods, and there are not many resturants, although I am a big fan of CJ's eatery. I had to write this post because so many are talking about how this area sucks. I think if you are careful you will be fine. But you do have to have an open mind and understand this is considered a ghetto, so there are a lot of poor. Working class poor I guess is what you would call it. I have not had my car messed with or any of our property bothered. We are currently the only white folks on the block, so if you have a problem with Hispanics, Puerto Ricans, or African Americans this may not be a comfortable place for you.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,526 times
Question What about north of the park?

I have looked around the forums a lot and have seen lots on south, west, and east of Humbolt Park. I am looking at a place just north of the park, (near Wabansia and whipple).
I know bucktown and wickerpark are more hip for young professionals, but I'm doing a CityYear, so my budget is pretty tight; as far as the room, parking, price, and potential roommates go, it works. Coming from town living, having the green of the park close by is very appealing. But anyone from around this area know what these blocks are like for safety, groceries, etc?
Thanks

Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
North of the park is still kinda ghetto until you get up to Armitage or so.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_squared View Post
...I know bucktown and wickerpark are more hip for young professionals, but I'm doing a CityYear, so my budget is pretty tight; as far as the room, parking, price, and potential roommates go, it works...
What is your budget and what area will you be working around?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 PM

I'll be working near west loop on the blueline. I'd looked in little italy/university village, but wasn't coming across many roommate offers lately. Really it is basically a living expense stipend, so 300-400 for a room in a shared apartment/flat is what I was hoping for. Any other suggestions besides Craigslist and The Reader for finding people offering just a room and not a full apartment?

Old 08-08-2008, 12:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
$400 for a room is going to be really tight, especially if you expect to cover your portion of utilities on that budget too. You might try Bridgeport but that doesn't really seem like a "I'm looking for a roommate" kind of neighborhood.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 AM

Well, 300-about 425 for the room, and shooting for under 500 utilities included. Thanks for the suggestion. I havn't heard much about Bridgeport before.

Last edited by B_squared; 08-08-2008 at 01:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago