Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCU View Post
My two daughters (20 and 23) are on the verge of leasing an apartment at Division and Winchester. They both have reasonable common sense which hopefully they will employ....should I discourage them from this location?
I'll be just up the street a ways at Winchester and North. I'd say I preferred my location to one I saw at Honore and Division (just east of Winchester and Division)... but only because of the crazy easy access to the el and the slightly shorter walk to the six corners. I would have felt plenty safe there.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:45 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCU View Post
My two daughters (20 and 23) are on the verge of leasing an apartment at Division and Winchester. They both have reasonable common sense which hopefully they will employ....should I discourage them from this location?
Not at all, I've lived in the area for five plus years and have had no problems (I'm a woman too). It is a lovely area.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
In spite of the residual sketchiness in Wicker Park (which just makes it cooler to the hipster crowd), much of this city is actually quite nice and liveable. Hundreds of thousands of people live in Chicago for years without getting robbed or burglarized. But you're in a big city now, so you have to expect some problems from time to time. For cryin' out loud, you're from Detroit of all places. Or are you one of those so-called Detroiters who was afraid to leave the suburbs?
Unfortunately, the OP's experience is Exhibit A over why newcomers to the City should be very careful about where they choose to live. The "cutting edge" neighborhoods may sound sexy, urban and rebellious but when you boil it down, tried and true neighborhoods like Lincoln Park are probably the best bet for most folks first moving to the City.

When I first came to the City, I lived in Lakeview, and then moved to Logan Square. The difference was night and day, and ranged from little things (courtesy on the roadways, constant car alarms blaring, general noise) to big things (being chased by 4 gangbangers, gun shots at night). I wouldn't condemn the whole city based on someone's experience in Humbolt Park but, yes, some areas of the City are definitely not pleasant to live in.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,873,399 times
Default humboldt park

Don't condemn all of Humboldt Park. It is certainly not the safest area but there certainly areas that are okay and those that are not. As a rule of thumb if you stay in the hispanic majority parts. The black parts of humboldt (south of grand) are the worst. Those living at division or south of there can attest that the southern (almost completely black) parts of humboldt park are a dangerous ghetto. The northern parts mirrors more closely western logan square (which is only a few blocks north of my block) much more closely than the southern areasm which mirror garfield park.

Stick with the hispanic areas in humboldt park and you will be much safer (though not as safe as wicker park or bucktown generally).

Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM
lz0 lz0 started this thread

34 posts, read 231,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Unfortunately, the OP's experience is Exhibit A over why newcomers to the City should be very careful about where they choose to live. The "cutting edge" neighborhoods may sound sexy, urban and rebellious but when you boil it down, tried and true neighborhoods like Lincoln Park are probably the best bet for most folks first moving to the City.
Did I come off sounding like a noob to the city? I'm born and raised in Chicago, actually. Lived in worse neighborhoods (e.g. Marquette Park) as a kid. It's a different world as a young woman, though. I really thought I had a good set of street smarts--vigilant, assertive, no-nonsense etc. You can only do so much to avoid trouble, though. In a neighborhood like this, it seems like it will eventually seek you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
hey, we may have been neighbors, I live around Keeler and Division. I didn't have any of the serious issues you had (maybe because I "blend in", being a black female), but have noticed some of the issues you mentioned.
Yep, I'm just a few blocks east of you. Keep safe until you move out. Best of luck in Pilsen! And I'd always meant to try Jimmy's, but never got around to it.

As an afterthought, I really think this neighborhood should be differentiated from Humboldt Park. HP is so big and ambiguous, and covers many drastically different economic and cultural pockets. My area has more in common with Austin or Garfield Park than with anything east or north of Humboldt Park itself. I think this is a source of some confusion for people new to the area, who have heard about the hip, edgy eastern edge of Humboldt Park, but don't realize that this far west, you may as well be in Austin.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,685 times
If you still check messages, I wanted to know about the block of Keeler and Division, my husband and I saw a gorgeous place but we thought it seemed a little shady (the area). Also, the neighbors had a huge Corso Mastiff; this was also scary because we have a smal lab. I am a 32 year old blonde in school and my husband is 34. Please tell me exactly what you think about what our experience would be with the people in the neighborhood. I guess what I mean is how violent was it and do you know about the particular block that I am asking about? Thanks. Alli

Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue View Post
If you still check messages, I wanted to know about the block of Keeler and Division, my husband and I saw a gorgeous place but we thought it seemed a little shady (the area). Also, the neighbors had a huge Corso Mastiff; this was also scary because we have a smal lab. I am a 32 year old blonde in school and my husband is 34. Please tell me exactly what you think about what our experience would be with the people in the neighborhood. I guess what I mean is how violent was it and do you know about the particular block that I am asking about? Thanks. Alli
Do not move around there for any reason. I dont care what color you are-that area is unsafe.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,685 times
I am thinking about moving by Division and Keeler. I am a 32 yr old blonde woman and my husband's 35, is it safe? What other neighborhood could it be compared to? I did notice bangers (looked like) hanging out on porches but I always felt gangs won't hurt their neighbors, please let me know, I've had my eye on a gorgeous place. I did notice my would be neighbor has a vicious looking Corso Mastiff, which scares me since I have a small lab.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Division and Keeler sucks. Why do I have to compare the neighborhood to another? The area sucks.

Why do you have to state that you are a blond woman? I dont care if you are purple with green hair,the area sucks.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Division and Keeler sucks. Why do I have to compare the neighborhood to another? The area sucks.

Why do you have to state that you are a blond woman? I dont care if you are purple with green hair,the area sucks.
Hah! Funny post. Funny because it's true. I'm locked out of giving you rep, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago