Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

I been living in the Chicago area all my life and people from other regions in the US are suprise when they find out that Chicago have a very large Hispanic and a sizable Asian population. I just want to know why people from the coast still see Chicago as a black and white city ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 03:32 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Two reasons I can think of if this is the case:

1) Chicago has long been considered the "new Mississippi." There is black/white polarization as a result. These groups dominate in numbers too.

2) Hispanics and Asians side with whites in perpetuating and accepting negative stereotypes concerning blacks.

Although a big, vibrant, dynamic city, Chicago remains far more rigid in its ability to overcome or minimize the traditionally polarizing effect of these two factors.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,724,829 times
Because they are ignorant?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:37 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Because they are ignorant?
Ding ding ding! We have a correct answer!

From Wikipedia, here are the 2000 census numbers for the City of Chicago:

"The racial makeup of the city was 41.97% White (31.32% White Non-Hispanic), 36.77% African American, 4.35% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.36% Native American, 13.58% from other races, and 2.92% from two or more races. 26.02% of the population were Hispanic of any race."

Since then, most estimates are that the African American population has dropped in the city while the Hispanic population has risen. We are basically a city that is one third white, one third black, and one third hispanic (with a sprinkling of other races).

Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default Also, because..

...these visitors are from the West Coast, where racial diversity is perhaps at its strongest in the US. In their minds, any other area of the country would come up short.

In my visits to Chicago, I would say that the above ratios mentioned seem about right to me (Boston is reasonably similar), with the concentrations varying depending on what part of the city (or suburb) you're in at the moment. I believe that the trends towards more diversification will continue in both Boston and Chicago. ( i.e. the number of Asian restaurants in Boston and Cambridge, while always representative, have increased dramatically in the 20 years I have lived here.)

Old 07-03-2008, 11:45 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default future ethnographic prediction

Chicago is currently a third white, black, and hispanic. Middle eastern and asians are included in the white numbers.

In 10 years, I see Chicago as 25 percent black, 35 percent white, and 40 percent hispanic. We are already trending in that direction now.

Remember, I am including asians and middle eastern populations among my white numbers. The south and west side to a lessor degree will continue to be dominated by black poulations while the north and northwest as well as downtown will continue to be dominated by whites (asians and middle eastern too) and hispanics will continue to serve as a buffer between the two groups, albeit in greater numbers. I see this first hand in Humboldt Park. South of grand it is almost all black. Between grand and diversey it is mostly hispanic (humboldt park and logan) North of diversey it is mixed (avondale and irving park) and almost all white north of say irving park. These are not exact breakdown racially as you go north but close.

This can be clearly seen in the white, hispanic and black belts of chicago that another poster included a few months back.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Why are you puting middle easterners & Asians in the same catergory as whites, and most people don't consider these two groups as white.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:32 PM

67 posts, read 207,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
Why are you puting middle easterners & Asians in the same catergory as whites, and most people don't consider these two groups as white.

Because they're not black or hispanic?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
The city is about a third white without the asians and middle-easterners added in... Take a look at the numbers I posted.

The "Hispanic" category can be hard to define. Do we consider people from Spain to be anything other than "white"? Of course not. Otherwise we'd be saying the Italians weren't white. "Hispanics" can be of Native American, Spanish, or African descent, or a combination of two or all three. So the social construction of "Hispanic" as a race is on shaky ground. That's why many "hispanics" identify themselves as "white" AND "hispanic" on the census (and thus the term "white, non-Hispanic"). I know Argentenians with Italian last names and blonde hair, and they are still defined as "hispanic" in this country.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Last weekend I met an Argentine polo player named Marcello who had an Italian accent.

Note that many working class Whites consider Mexicans as Whites and think intermarriage with Mexicans is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago