Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:29 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times

Advertisements

i was on my way to the lasalle st. station to pick up a train schedule when i was stopped 3 times between Randolph St. and the train station. i'm not talking about homeless people, at least they didn't look or sound like it. they were decently dressed men, probably mid 30's.

one said he has one arm, appeared to but could have had it tucked in his coat, and he was on his way to a job interview and needed $3.15 for something...i said "can't help you brother" and proceeded to cross the street in a hurry as it was a yellow light with the don't walk hand flashing. just made it.

then when i got to the station another man approached me, less impressively dressed and he asked if I could help him. in one hand he had a train schedule and in the other he was holding his wallet with cash sticking out of it so i concluded in a split second that he didn't need money. i was wrong. he said he was on his way to his mother's funeral and needed $10. all he had was $4. i said, can't help ya! i did detect a hint of marijuana coming from his breath.

then on my way back, i walked by the macy's christmas windows because i still had time to kill on my break. i was approached by a decent dressed fellow with about a 3 year old walking hand and hand. he's like, "sir can you help us get something to eat. we're hungry." I just had to ignore this guy because i've seen him before and i'm used to his hustle.

now i am sure all 3 had decent hustles and they probably work. i am just wondering if anyone else has come across and increased amount of hustlers as the holiday nears or is it that I just look like a vick?! i was upbeat and in a good mood and maybe that is why i was targeted 3 times by 3 different hustlers in the span of about a half hour which i thought was very rare. maybe it is the economy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I have always seen a lot of hustlers in the Loop. I haven't noticed any increase. In fact, a lot of the old guys from four or five years ago are now gone! I used to see the same lineup of characters every day on my old commute/lunch hour. And there were pickpockets who were known to target the area around the Art Institute that once followed me in to my office lobby.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:59 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
I was also thinking there were more hustlers. I guess a combination of bad economy, cold weather, upcoming holidays, etc. This weekend my family and I were approached alot more than usual. At Ogilvie station we were approached quite a few times including a man and young girl (6 y.o.?) asking for food $. Not sure if we just look like a good "mark" as we were carrying shopping bags. A few people just asked us for directions to the nearest shelter/soup kitchen which I did not know but will find out. Another time a security guard actually intervened and shooed them away from us.

This was somewhat of a learning experience for my young kids as I tried to explain how to identify/protect yourself from pickpockets and why we give $ to charities rather than directly to people who may or may not be legit.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:13 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
i was upbeat and in a good mood and maybe that is why i was targeted 3 times by 3 different hustlers in the span of about a half hour which i thought was very rare.
We were also upbeat and in a good mood (laughing and I think the kids were actually skipping). Do you think that's it? Maybe I need to teach my family how to look/act more stoic.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
it could be...maybe if you walk around with a chip on your shoulder, they don't approach you.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 PM

103 posts, read 322,520 times
I'm glad someone else has noticed this crap...I live in Lakeview and have seen, this past week, more hustlers/homeless people out than usual. Was actually woken up by one yelling this morning. So, I'm not sure what it is, but you would think with the cold weather they would be more scarce and also realize that people are going to be less apt to help them with the economy the way it is (sorry, I know everyone is tired of hearing about the economy!)

What gives.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times
I haven't noticed.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
More hustlers in the loop than normal?

Aw man, I thought this was another Blago thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
That would be, "More hustlers in Springfield than normal"?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
I work by union station and I always notice that when I bring a backpack to work much more people come up to me probaly thinking Im not from around there. I havent noticed anymore but I always have my ipod on and dont listen to anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago