Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You will looooove Wrigley Field. They host 81 social events a year.
Really?
What types?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Football is the most fun and stressful!
No way, too many commercial breaks, and celebrations after winning a close game seem scripted and anti-climactic. Also, a coach managing the clock from the sidelines isn't too exciting, nor is 'taking a knee.'

Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
No way, too many commercial breaks, and celebrations after winning a close game seem scripted and anti-climactic. Also, a coach managing the clock from the sidelines isn't too exciting, nor is 'taking a knee.'
Soccer and Basketball are probably the two most exciting, most tense games on a regular basis. Here's why:

Soccer: since the games are decided by very small margins, games can be won or lost at any moment, completely out of the blue.

Basketball: There is no other sport where you can score so many points in such a short amount of time, so almost all games are still up for grabs in the final minutes.

Also, in almost all sports, one player is capable of playing really well, putting his team on his back, and willing the team to win. This isn't really the case in baseball. You never see a baseball player get that "eye of the tiger" and just decide that he IS going to win the game, no matter what.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:15 AM

527 posts, read 1,245,000 times
I repeat Windy City Roller Girls and White Sox. If you can make the full season of both you are my hero.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Also, in almost all sports, one player is capable of playing really well, putting his team on his back, and willing the team to win. This isn't really the case in baseball. You never see a baseball player get that "eye of the tiger" and just decide that he IS going to win the game, no matter what.
That's not entirely true; pitchers carry a team all the time. Even relief pitchers get the 'eye of the tiger' - like El Duque in the 2005 ALDS against Boston, enters the game with bases loaded and nobody out and gets out of the inning without allowing a run.

Hitters get it too - Manny carried the Dodgers, a team that was all but out of it when he arrived, for almost two months and almost to the World Series.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Soccer and Basketball are probably the two most exciting, most tense games on a regular basis. Here's why:

Soccer: since the games are decided by very small margins, games can be won or lost at any moment, completely out of the blue.

Basketball: There is no other sport where you can score so many points in such a short amount of time, so almost all games are still up for grabs in the final minutes.

I agree Basketball is my favorite sport to watch, but Ive been learning about football this year and it is actually fun to watch.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 AM

148 posts, read 238,919 times
Default well it depends

what decade you talkin about? or just overall in general. id agree with some that say across mlb more fans are cubs than sox, in the city even though sox won the world series 2005, cubs fans are everywhere. and i think its cuz the story of the hopless underdog identifies well with fans... this is comin from a white sox fan. ive liked them since the early 2000s and seen some bandwagoning, but cubs fans are just on another level...

when mr michael jordan was runnin the nba with da bulls in the 90s, i can be comfy saying through then, everyone wants to be like mike basically cuz hes the golden standard benchmark of what it is to play well pro, regardless of sport. to me and alot like me not just here in chicago but worldwide believe to play at his level of competition consistently, is what seperates a winning team from a good team. he is one of the most recognized atheletes to ever play a sport. but that was then. now?

well the hawks just won the stanley cup in 2010 so hockey is once again hot. i swear there was a time when i couldnt change the channel without seeing jonathan toews and patrick kane on a local chevy tv ad over and over... lol congrats banners still hang around places i drive through, they still command much respect.

there may be arguments till the end of time between die hard cubbbies and sout side pride white sox, but make no mistake. people here love nfl football and its tradition transcends mlb. i swear even if theres no mlb in the playoffs here, ud be damn sure both fans are cheering with their beers anytime devin hester returns another punt...therye crazy die hard and have good right to be... the bears are the monsters of the midway, a phrase coined in the mid 20th and still used today, when the bears won a few nfl championship titles before the superbowl was created. we were also the first original charter nfl team in the league, and the fans show it. even if the cubs or sox or bulls arent winnin, as long as the bears win, its all is good. how many times have bears related stuff reach pop culture? the super bowl shuffle. da super fans on sat nite live, or in movies like ferris bueller's day off... the principal tryin to make small talk asks "who's winning" while at some pizza parlor lookin for ferris. the tv shows ferris at the cubs game - the pizza guy annoyed with the principal looks at him like who is this guy? and says sarcastically "umm, da bears." - lol if the bears won the superbowl? citywide theryd be a breakdown of basic social services cuz everyone would be awash in beer...

Last edited by jpchi60630; 07-17-2012 at 12:38 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
It's definitely the Bears right now. Followed by the baseball teams.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
I believe, that right now, in the year 2012, hockey is the most exciting sport from a spectator's point of view..

The NFL just isn't as watchable as it used to be, and the NBA will put you to sleep in no time..

Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM

313 posts, read 354,616 times
Its funny that the Blackhawks won the Cup a year after this thread was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago