Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 AM

117 posts, read 302,805 times

Advertisements

Is it defined anywhere (if so, what community areas), or are you the judge of what downtown is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 AM

209 posts, read 590,392 times
There's no firm definition. "The Loop" is used somewhat interchangeably with downtown, but for purists The Loop is only the area inside the loop of el lines (bordered by Lake, Wells, Van Buren, and Wabash. Some define The Loop more broadly to include everything south and west of the river, with the east and south boundaries variable.

The broadest definition of downtown is what is referred to as the Central Area, which is bounded by North, Halsted, Cermak, and the Lake.

The boundaries I would set for downtown would be
The lake on the east;
I-90/94 on the west for the area south of the main branch of the river and the north branch of the river itself as a western boundary for the area north of the main branch.
Roosevelt on the south
Division on the north

Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
There's no firm definition. "The Loop" is used somewhat interchangeably with downtown, but for purists The Loop is only the area inside the loop of el lines (bordered by Lake, Wells, Van Buren, and Wabash. Some define The Loop more broadly to include everything south and west of the river, with the east and south boundaries variable.

The broadest definition of downtown is what is referred to as the Central Area, which is bounded by North, Halsted, Cermak, and the Lake.

The lake on the east;
I-90/94 on the west for the area south of the main branch of the river and the north branch of the river itself as a western boundary for the area north of the main branch.
Roosevelt on the south
Division on the north
Good explanation - the Loop does of course refer to the actual tracks, but nobody will ever be convinced that Michigan Avenue isn't in the Loop.

I think for practical purposes your definition is spot on, I just can't buy north of Division being called downtown.

Last edited by Chi-town Native; 08-29-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post

The lake on the east;
Roosevelt on the south
Division on the north
I agree with this as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

So this is fine?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
So this is fine?

I would probably bring the far nothern border down to Division. I wouldn't consider Old Town part or anything north of Divison as downtown. But outside of that, in mind that seems pretty accruate.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
To me "Downtown" is Roosevelt to the south, expressway to the west, river/Kinzie to the north, lake to the east. To someone in Veronon Hills, "Downtown" is "anywhere within 3 miles of State and Madison."

Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
To me "Downtown" is Roosevelt to the south, rivers to the west and north, lake to the east. To someone in Veronon Hills, "Downtown" is "anywhere within 3 miles of State and Madison."
Ha! Actually, I had some college friends originally from Pekin who were beyond thrilled to tell me they had gotten an apartment "downtown," turned out that said apartment was across the street from Koz Park.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 AM

All right - here's downtown Chicago:

Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Lemme get this straight, you get bent out of shape when I say something about your off the wall neighborhood recommendations, yet don't know where downtown is? Clearly, you're new to the area.

In answer to your question, there's no hard and fast definition, you could even make your map more squarelike and it'd be fine. Halsted to Roosevelt, to LSD to Chicago and done.
If anyone were to ask follow up questions 'Where downtown' just switch to the community area: Loop, Near North, Printers Row, South Loop, Greek Town, Streeterville, Gold Coast, Mag Mile, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago