Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 18,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's a small patch of rough stuff around the Sheridan stop too, so be cautious about where you end up there. Given your criteria I'd concentrate your search along the Brown Line, pretty much anything from the Addison stop through the Rockwell stop. Nothing wrong with the areas near the Southport or Paulina stops, but they are pretty "nightlife-ish" and may not be as quiet as you need. That said, nightlife near there tends to be more grown-up than in the heart of Wrigleyville.
Where near the Sheridan red line stop is there anything rough?!?! The Chateau Hotel is pretty close but really that's one building that has a couple of bums...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:18 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmvii View Post
Where near the Sheridan red line stop is there anything rough?!?!...
Gill Park co-op.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Gill Park co-op.
Meh, that's a slight black eye in the area but really not a big deal. What's city living without a couple of bums?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmvii View Post
Meh, that's a slight black eye in the area but really not a big deal. What's city living without a couple of bums?
There are crackheads and gang-bangers over there too.

You must not have too much experience around there.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
There are crackheads and gang-bangers over there too.

You must not have too much experience around there.
Come on, I walk through there all the time. Yes, you have to keep your eyes open but tell me where you don't...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM

42 posts, read 113,520 times
Quote:
Thanks. There is also one on the chicago apartment finders website. I found it last night when I thought to check their website. I think it is helpful too.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 AM

I will start looking on the brown line too. One of things that I liked about living near the Loyola or Granville stops on red was that it is close to Devon and Western which is where the Indian market is. We are Indian and need certain vegetables, items from there. Initially, I thought living closer to school would be better. But, now I think I should fine tune the area to a brown line stop or red line stop and apartment that fits most of what we want that is also near enough to a major street so we can just catch a bus to go up to the Devon/Western area. Please keep those great suggestions coming. As I "talk" with you guys I get a better idea of zooming in on an area. So right now, I am concentrating on the Lincoln Sq., Ravenswood, and W. Rogers Park area. Someone posted a comparison of Houston neighborhoods to Chicago and I thought it was great (assuming it is accurate). The W. Rogers Park area then is closest to what I am used to in Houston, and it is near the Indian market, so I think that might be my best option. It does mean I will have a longer commute to/from school everyday, but that's an acceptable trade off. Based on the brown line suggestion I am thinking of these two areas below because they are also close to Western where we could just hop on the bus to get up to Devon and Western.

How is the Lincoln Sq. area? How about the area near the Western stop on the Brown line?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchicago View Post
How is the Lincoln Sq. area? How about the area near the Western stop on the Brown line?
Lincoln Square is a wonderful neighborhood, might be a bit of a stretch on your budget but from there you can easily hop on the Western bus up to Devon.

The commercial strip in Lincoln Square along Lincoln off of Lawrence is great. Lots of little shops, restaurants and bars. It should only be noisy right on the strip. The residential streets will be fairly quiet.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Lincoln Square is a wonderful neighborhood, might be a bit of a stretch on your budget but from there you can easily hop on the Western bus up to Devon.

The commercial strip in Lincoln Square along Lincoln off of Lawrence is great. Lots of little shops, restaurants and bars. It should only be noisy right on the strip. The residential streets will be fairly quiet.
My budget is flexible, but obviously I would like to keep the rent minimal. I see what you mean though, because I am not finding anything around $800 for a nice 1BR in Lincoln Sq. I don't mind spending more if the area is safe and our other concerns are satisified.

Where is a major grocery store in the Lincoln Sq area? (Jewel, Dominicks, or Meijer)

Also, is the area around Western and Devon relatively safe?

Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM

264 posts, read 716,790 times
800 a month for a 1 BR by an L 20 min. from the loop and near a grocery store....its gonna be hard, very very hard, unless you wouldnt mind living in a non-yuppy area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago