Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 PM

206 posts, read 1,079,100 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone,

I've noticed, in my research of where to move to, there seems to be many more nice people in Chicago than in NYC or LA. That must come from being the midwestners.

The difference seems to be so big that I am even considering moving to Chicago or Evanston instead of LA or NYC. On the other hand I don't know why I have this strange feeling that Chicago is less safe than nyc or LA (the nice parts of those cities).

Is this true? Is it because of less police enforcement?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
Having lived in both Chicago and NYC, I can you that I feel equally safe "in the good neighborhoods" of either city. The odds of any one person experiencing a violent crime in nice parts of the city is very slim.

I've visited LA a number of times and always felt safe in their good areas also (of course, the experience is different as LA is more car focused).

I think you would feel very safe in NY or Chicago.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Chicago is safe if you're not in a gang, participating in illegal activities, or trolling bad neighborhoods. The "nice" parts of Chicago are just as safe as the "nice" parts of any city.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,244,079 times
It depends on the neighborhood.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
OP. I notice that during the past 3.5 months you've posted threads in the following cities:

Santa Fe
Austin
Fayetteville, AR
Jackson, MS
Charleston, SC
New York
Philadelphia
Scottsdale, AZ (I believe ... or maybe I conjured that one up)
Georgia in general
and perhaps some other locales I can't remember

What's driving your interest in Chicago? Is it mainly the perceived niceness of our fair citizens Honestly, I think we are just about on par nicewise with most of the other cities. We have all sorts of people here. Good luck with your search for the right locale.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM

30 posts, read 114,072 times
As a male, I don't really feel threatened when I am in Chicago. I don't go to neighborhoods I don't belong in, I don't partake in sketchy drug deals, and I mind my own business.

In all three cities, it all depends on what neighborhood your in. Just don't be stupid.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Are the people nicer in Chicago? Depends on the person... We may have a lower @sshole ratio than New York or L.A., but we still have our share of 'em! I'd say Chicago is easily the meanest city in the Midwest--which is hard to quantify in a region known for being "nice".

Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
Zombies. You have to watch out for zombies. I recommend carrying a Zippo wherever you go.

Yeah, Chicago's pretty safe Some crazy crap goes down every so often, but you'll be fine.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:59 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88 View Post
As a male, I don't really feel threatened when I am in Chicago. I don't go to neighborhoods I don't belong in, I don't partake in sketchy drug deals, and I mind my own business.

In all three cities, it all depends on what neighborhood your in. Just don't be stupid.

Yea you should only deal with reputable dealers

Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Are the people nicer in Chicago? Depends on the person... We may have a lower @sshole ratio than New York or L.A., but we still have our share of 'em! I'd say Chicago is easily the meanest city in the Midwest--which is hard to quantify in a region known for being "nice".
If by meanest, you mean fast-paced, ruthless in business and always on the go (downtown/north side hip/vibrant, etc.) then yes.

However the south side, south suburbs and in general the middle and outer ring suburbs is pretty much like metro Detroit, etc., etc.,

Even you Lookout said in a past post that if you strip away the cultural institutions, awesome downtown, transplanted professionals, etc., etc., you pretty much have a big Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago