Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times

Advertisements

I believe that there were four dead people discovered in nearby Woodlawn since friday, two of them two blocks from me. I'm happy to report that I wasn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Plus of course that the olypmics bid needs to be rescinded= YES

daley is a fraud=YES

gun ownership should be legalized=YES (because gee whiz, if guns were illegal, we'd live in a safer city with less gun violence, few murders ....um, wait a second)
I support the right to carry a weapon if you think it will help. I don't see it though changing the murder stats much. Just look at who is killing whom.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM

I also wouldn't rescind the olympic bid just because of the violence in the poor neighborhoods. If we had to wait for that to ebb than the city could never get to do anything cool.

If you don't want the olympics in general that's another issue, but I wouldn't let the murder rate affect the bid.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Criminals with guns are shooting other criminals with guns 98% of the time, so gun control has nothing to do with these types of crimes. And the argument that more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens will somehow change the situation is equally stupid. Does the fact that other gang members have guns stop them from getting shot? Of course not. The entire premise is dumb dumb dumb.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Hopefully by 2016, some of Chicago violent rep will be gone by then. Maybe then Chicago have less than 300 murders.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
yeah 10 dead and 30 wounded in 63 shootings, nothing new here really
God when I first saw this thread I immediately thought of how engraged you were that you couldn't post the link!!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
God when I first saw this thread I immediately thought of how engraged you were that you couldn't post the link!!
lol..i could have posted the link but i decided not ot

Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
And somehow all of the online commenters (e.g. tribune.com) act like it is a totally new phenomenon and offers proof that the city has gone to complete hell, everyone who has left can, and it has no future.
I'm trying to figure out the context of how you wrote this - I can assume it's sarcasm, right? If not that's pretty whack.

Have you been around the city? A full 3/4 of the murders happen in areas with 1/4 of the population. Sucks for them, obviously, but a massive portion of the residential areas of this city are actually quite safe. Incidents happen anywhere and everywhere, but as far as rationally living a normal life without fearing immident violence is easily obtainable by the majority.

Regardless of horrible areas on the west and south side, the city as a whole is MUCH better than it has been in decades.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:57 PM

The sentence provides its own context. I'm making a statement about what other people are saying. Nowhere do I hint that I agree with them. Not sure how it could be read that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm trying to figure out the context of how you wrote this - I can assume it's sarcasm, right? If not that's pretty whack.

Have you been around the city? A full 3/4 of the murders happen in areas with 1/4 of the population. Sucks for them, obviously, but a massive portion of the residential areas of this city are actually quite safe. Incidents happen anywhere and everywhere, but as far as rationally living a normal life without fearing immident violence is easily obtainable by the majority.

Regardless of horrible areas on the west and south side, the city as a whole is MUCH better than it has been in decades.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 PM

211 posts, read 530,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
Of course, when you meet people with nothing to lose with more violence they just sit down and say, "ok, I'll go to school and/or get a job." Yeah right! You will just get an arms race with more violence.
And that has relevance to my post how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago