Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:29 PM

313 posts, read 596,654 times

Advertisements

This seems to have gotten to be a question it would really take a lawyer to answer: can the landlord take money from the deposit for something that was not included in the rental contract? I'm guessing no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 05:36 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Well, it could come to that, but from a practical matter, I'm betting the building management won't give them the elevator or dock to move out ( easily) ... and if they violate some other association rules by using a passenger elevator/moving through the front door, there'll be a scene and probably lots of fines for the owner ... the OP should contact the landlord/unit owner directly and discuss this ASAP..no need to get the barristers in this yet .. It's probably in the unit owners interest to do whatever they need to to facilitate the tenant moving ( they probably have the unit rented to somebody else, showing it) , and they do not want a huge hassle with the association .. If the owner deducts from the security deposit, then it's probably time for some legal assistance ..

Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I'm just saying that the unit owner is on the hook for this move out fee if it's in the bylaws. Whether or not the tenant has to pay is 100% dictated by the rental agreement between the tenant and unit owner. If there is a difference in interpretation, the landlord (i.e. unit owner) usually wins by deducting the money from the security deposit. A unit owner/landlord may just take the risk that most tenants won't sue over $200.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
So... we're still trying to figure this one out. Our Landlord called and he said that the rental agency 'should have' told you about the move-out fee and that it 'should' be on your lease... in which case, they did not tell us and it is not on the lease... and again, we never received a copy of the rules & regulations... he said he would look over the Lease and get back to us... I have a feeling that this is going to get ugly, and that in the end he might just take it out of our security deposit... GRR.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 AM
mh7

102 posts, read 333,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
This seems to have gotten to be a question it would really take a lawyer to answer: can the landlord take money from the deposit for something that was not included in the rental contract? I'm guessing no
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm 100% sure that the answer to this is no. I was part of a class action lawsuit brought against a large property management company for this very reason (getting a few hundred bucks for doing nothing = great...being the lawyers who got a helluva lotta money for not doing much = even greater!).

Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
I have an even better one, they are Illegal according to the City of Chicago tenant-landlord act. Contact the City Clerks office and ask to be refereed to the Counsels office. They will refer you to the City Attorney they will Immediately contact the landlord on the phone and give them two options, stop the move in out fees and return all monies or they will be fined up to 200% of monthly rent. I had my money back in 2 hours.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
The dilema continues... so our Landlord acknowledges that the Lease does not mention a move-OUT fee (only move-IN fee, elevator deposit, and security deposits)... but he is claiming that that the Lease also states that Tenant shall abide by all rules & regulations of the condo association, and again says that the rental agency should have given us a copy (and they never did)... so... based on the last few posts it seems like our Landlord cannot make us responsible for the $250 move out fee, but I'm really unsure of what to do now...

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
try lawguru.com, you might get some answers there (it's free)

Old 09-04-2019, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 651 times
My condo in Chicago charges a move-in and a move-out fees of $500 per event. Plus, an elevator reservation fee of $250 is charged. (At least this is refundable.) I think these fees are absurdly high for the area (Gold Coast), in comparison to neighboring buildings, possibly rendering them invalid/illegal (similar to usury law). Would it also be a violation of "free will"? Essentially, not being able to move in or out until paid.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarth View Post
I have an even better one, they are Illegal according to the City of Chicago tenant-landlord act. Contact the City Clerks office and ask to be refereed to the Counsels office. They will refer you to the City Attorney they will Immediately contact the landlord on the phone and give them two options, stop the move in out fees and return all monies or they will be fined up to 200% of monthly rent. I had my money back in 2 hours.
Move In / Out Fees are not illegal. Most landlords have switched to move in fees because security deposits are such a pain in the butt due to Chicago laws. If you got your money back in two hours it was only because the landlord didn't want to deal with the City Attorney or a call from any attorney. I am on the side of the OP because the move out fee was NOT included on the lease so you shouldn't have to pay it. However, in general I wish Chicago would shift more power to landlords...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: