Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 AM

313 posts, read 596,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
not necessarily. rabbits are huge. most cats can't even handle a full grown rat. ever been kicked by a rabbit? it hurts like a mutha. not to say the rabbits aren't petrified of the cats however.

I've seen a ton of rabbits here in Humboldt Park. every morning I see at least 1; one morning I saw 3. I think they cross over from the park, lord knows why. I've also seen them in Grant Park, around the area near the museums.
My family's cat used to kill a ton of juvenile rabbits. He's always been a red meat cat.

I'd expect the rabbit population to be decreasing these days with the fox population growing and the coyote population going from 0 to whatever it is now. More raptors in the area these days, too. My father watched a hawk spend a couple of weeks killing every rabbit in his neighbor's yard over the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
My family's cat used to kill a ton of juvenile rabbits. He's always been a red meat cat.

I'd expect the rabbit population to be decreasing these days with the fox population growing and the coyote population going from 0 to whatever it is now. More raptors in the area these days, too. My father watched a hawk spend a couple of weeks killing every rabbit in his neighbor's yard over the summer.
There are several falcons in Uptown that leave bloody bits of pigeon on the sidewalks near the intersection of Broadway and Lawrence. Apparently they like the artificial edifice near that intersection created by the Bridgeview Bank building. And years ago I saw a kestrel from the window of my old office on Michigan Avenue across from Grant Park.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
not necessarily. rabbits are huge. most cats can't even handle a full grown rat. ever been kicked by a rabbit? it hurts like a mutha. not to say the rabbits aren't petrified of the cats however.
I have no idea what these alley cats survive on. But we used to see them around all of the time in Wicker Park. And we're not talking about nice house cats here, these animals were haggard tough little bastards with seriously bad attitudes. Maybe they just ate garbage, but every now and then you'd see them leap into the air after a bird. There were certainly a lot of rats in the area. Maybe enough that they were able to kill the weaker ones.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I have no idea what these alley cats survive on. But we used to see them around all of the time in Wicker Park. And we're not talking about nice house cats here, these animals were haggard tough little bastards with seriously bad attitudes. Maybe they just ate garbage, but every now and then you'd see them leap into the air after a bird. There were certainly a lot of rats in the area. Maybe enough that they were able to kill the weaker ones.
I've got neighbors that leave out cat food for the ferals. most of it ends up being eaten by the raccoons though. I think there's a TNR program in Humboldt Park so hopefully some of these are being caught and neutered.

Humboldt Park is awesome (the actual park). I've seen some odd birds around that lagoon in the mornings. I wouldn't be surprised if there were larger creatures hiding in there somewhere (I keep thinking I'm going to turn a corner and see a deer!)

Old 11-05-2009, 03:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
...I wouldn't be surprised if there were larger creatures hiding in there somewhere...

Old 11-05-2009, 05:27 PM

37 posts, read 138,707 times
I see Rabbits all over and alot of Possums too , ever since I was a kid.

Here in Bridgeport rabbits are all along the empty,wooded, abandoned lots by the river and along the tracks.

The possums we'll see in alleys and running under parked cars.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times
A family of rabbits lives under the deck of my next door neighbor in Lincoln Square. Cut little things. I think they are nocturnal though, I only see them at night.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM

10 posts, read 20,855 times
I love the way everyone talks about the wicker part area, and i think the rabbits give it a whole new twist.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 PM

95 posts, read 219,340 times
You see a lot more rabbits as you go west in the city. In Elmwood Park (okay, technically not the city), I once saw three chasing each other on your average city street.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 PM

152 posts, read 495,065 times
They're downtown, too. I frequently see one or two of 'em grazing on the lawn in front of Fulton House on North Canal Street at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago