Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Christ is the WORD, and God is powerful enough to do a lot of GOOD things, but God allows MEN to do a lot of STUPID things.
Yes He does, but messing up something as important as the Bible isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes He does, but messing up something as important as the Bible isn't one of them.
I think YOU know what I think about the Bible. I have said my piece on this subject enough. It is INTACT as far as the GOOD NEWS goes, thank goodness!

And, you should know, after ALL the reading of posts you have done here, right, that there are MANY errors and mistranslations. You can do a cursory study and know this. That doesn't defeat the purpose of Christ, and it doesn't do anything to stop God.

Don't you worry for a single little second.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:56 PM

365 posts, read 511,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
PurpleHeart,
If you look at the three oldest Uncial Manuscripts the differences are slight and even where there are some problems the scribe made a marginal note to correct it.

There are of course problems of bringing one language over into another. For instance, English doesn't have much of a middle voice so it is difficult to bring the middle voice of the Greek over into English. The Concordant Literal solves this by putting a symbol of a circle with a dot in the middle of it in front of what should be the middle voice.
German has the middle voice so the Greek middle translates easily into the German middle.

But this in no way messes up the inspiration of the Sacred Scriptures by having these translation issues. What messes up the inspiration is, instead of translating some translators give their interpretation which may be quite different from the original.

For instance, when it comes to interpretation rather than translation, I think it is the NIV that says: "eternally condemned" for "anathema" in Galatians 1:8. That's bad. Real bad. That is not what anathema means. I know they call it "dynamic equivalency" but that is far from being equivalent.

I appreciate your comments, however, there is no way I can know with 100% certainty because I do not have access to the original manuscripts. Nobody does.

God bless.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Amen.... ILNC !! No, God will not lead the world to believe His word the Bible is not trust worthy or for His men of the Bible too mess up the writings of His precious word, to lead other's to believe it is false !!

But of course the god of universalism will mess up the word of God. That is one of his supernatural tricks. He doesn't want his followers to listen to the Christian God, the God of the Bible !!!
The god of universalism tells his follower the Bible is a full of mistranslations, contradictions, etc., and is not trust worthy. He counterfeits the truth giving his followers a false hope, love, and peace to deceive them !!

He lied and uses their fear to turn their heart away from God ! He keeps his followers under his darken delusions which one of them is that all will be reconciled one day! Universalism god wants to keep them deceived and believing he is the true god and will do anything to keep his followers away from the truth of God's word the BIBLE.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Amen.... ILNC !! No, God will not lead the world to believe His word the Bible is not trust worthy or for His men of the Bible too mess up the writings of His precious word, to lead other's to believe it is false !!

But of course the god of universalism will mess up the word of God. That is one of his supernatural tricks. He doesn't want his followers to listen to the Christian God, the God of the Bible !!!
The god of universalism tells his follower the Bible is a full of mistranslations, contradictions, etc., and is not trust worthy. He counterfeits the truth giving his followers a false hope, love, and peace to deceive them !!

He lied and uses their fear to turn their heart away from God ! He keeps his followers under his darken delusions which one of them is that all will be reconciled one day! Universalism god wants to keep them deceived and believing he is the true god and will do anything to keep his followers away from the truth of God's word the BIBLE.
This isn't about fear or universalism. Just the facts, ma'am.

It will be okay......The love of God is ENORMOUS and He can handle ALL OF these things. Mistranslations, treacherous men, wars started by religions all in the name of love, etc.

He REALLY can!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:00 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
I appreciate your comments, however, there is no way I can know with 100% certainty because I do not have access to the original manuscripts. Nobody does.

God bless.
The Jews destroyed each old worn out version of the O.T. after they made a copy of it. So no original copy made by Moses or anyone exists. Should we therefore throw it all away? No.

The Qumran manuscripts found to be thousands of years old reveal the current texts we have are correct. So why sould not our modern O.T. texts be correct prior to the thousands of years old ones?

How do you know one of the oldest Grk. mss we have are not word for word of the original?

Last edited by Eusebius; 06-16-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Interesting. I know I can look at all the verses on BibleGateway and such, but do you have a link written on this subject for us simple folk that I can look at? I'm gathering all the material I can, but I don't have any books on this stuff at home yet, so all my research is done on the web.
This is a good start:
A Look At Some of The Ancient Codexs

At the office of where I work they have copies of all three mss from the British museum. But I am here in Michigan and not California.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:

Nope, it is actually people who cannot see the word of God for what it is.

God will save all mankind and any translation will do to see that message.

I am not turning my heart away from God by believing that, you can assert as you wish, but you will be wrong.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:

Our God HAS kept His Word true. He is not a deceiver!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Our God HAS kept His Word true. He is not a deceiver!
Indeed. The "errors" that I am aware of really don't amount to any real problem. More likely is people assigning a secondary meaning to a Greek word instead of using the primary meaning of a word along with context. Have you ever heard the term "the greek word XXX can actually mean ABC instead of what you see in your Bible" ?

When It comes to the KJV, most of the "errors" did not exist 400 years ago. But the meanings of English words have evolved over time and to the 21st century mind a particular word became an error.

James 5:11 KJV

Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

James 5:11 NKJV
Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord—that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.

Note underlined phrases ^^^

The Bible is trusworthy and every meaning doctrine is intact. But there are those who find fault with the Bible, because it does not support their doctrine. I like how the Mormons view the Bible:

"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; (8th article of faith)

Sound familiar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity