Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Actually there are about 500 commandments.......

With that said, this issue came up in the first century church. Read Acts 15 to see what was decided.

And certain men came down from Judea and taught the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 Therefore, when Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem, to the apostles and elders, about this question.
3 So, being sent on their way by the church, they passed through Phoenicia and Samaria, describing the conversion of the Gentiles; and they caused great joy to all the brethren. 4 And when they had come to Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders; and they reported all things that God had done with them. 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”

Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. 7 And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, 9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ[a] we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”

They wrote this, letter by them:
The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,
To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:
Greetings.
24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”—to whom we gave no such commandment— 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.
Farewell.
Nothing said about keeping the Jewish Sabbath

If you want to keep the Jewish Sabbath that's fine with me. Just don't tell people they won't be saved unless they go to church on Saturday
Don't tell me what to tell people. God alone has that authority.

No where in those verses you provided says a WORD about NOT! keeping the Sabbath. They do say however that no one has to be circumcised to be well with the Father. Not one of the TEN Commandments says..."Thou shalt be circumcised."...AHH!...but the 4th one DOES! SAY! To keep the Sabbath holy unto God...it sure DOES! say THAT!

I'm done debating with you Mr5150. Finale Answer.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.

(edit)...Oh...and it seems to me that you do not know the difference between the law of Moses and the Ten commanments...read my thread titled: The Onslaught...The Crime of All Ages!...but they are TWO different sets of laws. Study!...and show thyself approved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
What was the one of the main grievances that the Teachers of the Law\ Pharisees had with Jesus...was it not keeping the Sabbath?

Matthew 12:2
When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, "Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath."

If we are under any law, then Christ died for nothing.

Galatians 2:21
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

As God proclaimed:

Colossians 2:16
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day"

We are no longer bound by what calander day, but that we do.

Hebrews 10:25
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Last edited by twin.spin; 07-09-2010 at 05:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 04:15 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
(edit)...Oh...and it seems to me that you do not know the difference between the law of Moses and the Ten commanments...read my thread titled: The Onslaught...The Crime of All Ages!...but they are TWO different sets of laws. Study!...and show thyself approved!
The law of Moses:

Mosaic law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Law of Moses - The Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia on SearchGodsWord.org

Law of Moses - definition of Law of Moses by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Sorry, but the law of Moses contains the 10. The 10 are part of the Law of Moses. (The SDA church disagrees.)

When Jesus was asked which of the commandments was the greatest, He cited two. Neither were part of the 10.

Mark 12:28-31

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these."

Old 07-09-2010, 04:15 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
The crime is thinking God is so petty that he's gonna care what day you HONOR him.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The crime is thinking God is so petty that he's gonna care what day you HONOR him.
Amen!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
The law of Moses:

Law of Moses - definition of Law of Moses by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Sorry, but the law of Moses contains the 10. The 10 are part of the Law of Moses. (The SDA church disagrees.)

When Jesus was asked which of the commandments was the greatest, He cited two. Neither were part of the 10.

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these."
Facts won't work, she has had "revelations" from God, so it is hard to argue with that.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
The law of Moses:

Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
The law of Moses:

29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.30Love the Lord your God with all
your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these."
Hmmm.......I wonder why loving your neighbor was right behind loving God. What does this mean? WHO is my neighbor? Why did Jesus "work" on his
father's Sabbath day? He sure seemed to like breaking rules. Or did he? Maybe he was just breaking tradition's rules. Maybe the religious leaders made stuff up.

The religious do seem to like making up a lot of rules, so they can point fingers at the outsiders who don't follow them, and pretend that God likes them better. They like having a man-made standard that they can take measurments with. Although they always say it's God's ways they are protecting.

Last edited by herefornow; 07-09-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 05:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Well, I'm a performer so I have to work on Saturdays. And Sundays. My day off is Monday. Guess I'll just add that to the long list of reasons for why I'm going to hell.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:56 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, I'm a performer so I have to work on Saturdays. And Sundays. My day off is Monday. Guess I'll just add that to the long list of reasons for why I'm going to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity